v Salford (H) Match Day Thread

ollycutts1982

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I know the North stand is completely closed for this but it seems like loads of blocks all around the ground are closed also. Just a few blocks available. Very sad.

Even when support was up these types of games were lucky to get past 8k. Can see it being a 3 or 4K tomorrow. Me and 3 others who couldn’t make Huddersfield are going and we have the voices of 2000 men so expect some atmosphere. 

I am really up for this .. and so should Wayne be .. this is a zero sum game .. we need to take risks, try things out. Fortune favours the brave. If our backsides get kicked it will be a pity, but it’s games like this that you can afford to gamble and learn .. COYR, cavalry charge, blood and guts, guns ho. No Prisoners 

Get Sibbo up there with Kaz, give Festy  a full game, get Cashin in (if we can without sacrificing slots for loans) and give Curtis a rest .. we’ll need him later on. Go on Morrison, show us you’ve got some pizzaz 

My team instructions would be Go ! Play ! Enjoy ! Express yourself ! 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not if they're scholars as that's why Williams is my LB.

Right; so Williams could play.

So the EFL definition of a "Player of Professional Standing" is:

1. Any player who appears in a competitive game for a Club at first team level, unless they are a scholar, or unless there is an atypical reason (such as a pandemic), which prevents the usual squad of players of professional standing from competing

or b:

2. It's Derby County in which case we will grind you into the ground until you beg for a points deduction and relegation to League One, if only to relieve the chronic frustration and utter contempt with which every fibre of your body now strains to expel. 

16 minutes ago, Ramos said:

Even when support was up these types of games were lucky to get past 8k. Can see it being a 3 or 4K tomorrow. Me and 3 others who couldn’t make Huddersfield are going and we have the voices of 2000 men so expect some atmosphere. 

I'll be there wearing a red daffodil. The secret code is "Steven Gibson likes to have his bumps felt after encasing them in liquid latex". Pass it on. ?

23 minutes ago, jono said:

I am really up for this .. and so should Wayne be .. this is a zero sum game .. we need to take risks, try things out. Fortune favours the brave. If our backsides get kicked it will be a pity, but it’s games like this that you can afford to gamble and learn .. COYR, cavalry charge, blood and guts, guns ho. No Prisoners 

Get Sibbo up there with Kaz, give Festy  a full game, get Cashin in (if we can without sacrificing slots for loans) and give Curtis a rest .. we’ll need him later on. Go on Morrison, show us you’ve got some pizzaz 

My team instructions would be Go ! Play ! Enjoy ! Express yourself ! 

Absolutely. Unfortunately Cashin won't be in the squad and malheureusement I heard WR say, about the Huddersfield game, "I had Sibbo and Ebosole on the bench because if Huddersfield scored first, I thought they'd be able to come on and stretch the game".

Well FFS Wayne, I don't have your football record, or your England caps, but I do have all of my original hair on my head so why not play Sibbo and Ebsey from the start and see if we can score several goals first?????? 

9 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely. Unfortunately Cashin won't be in the squad and malheureusement I heard WR say, about the Huddersfield game, "I had Sibbo and Ebosole on the bench because if Huddersfield scored first, I thought they'd be able to come on and stretch the game".

Well FFS Wayne, I don't have your football record, or your England caps, but I do have all of my original hair on my head so why not play Sibbo and Ebsey from the start and see if we can score several goals first?????? 

Bigger impact when the other team tires ?

14 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Rooney: "... I knew if we had conceded the first goal, especially early on, it would be difficult, it could have been a different atmosphere had that been the case. I wanted to stay in the game..."

Got to agree there. New CB pairing hardly knowing each others name, a crowd on edge if they score first?

Edited by RoyMac5

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Allsop
Ebosele   Stearman   Forsyth   Williams
Bird   Shinnie
Sibley   Morrison   Hutchinson
Kazim

Subs: Roos, Byrne, Davies, Watson, Jozwiak, Lawrence, Stretton

Need to ease Stretton in so he doesn't break down straight away. Other players rested. Watson a potential starter at CM to give Bird or Shinnie a rest.

Yes would like to see Watson playing deeper 

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I know the North stand is completely closed for this but it seems like loads of blocks all around the ground are closed also. Just a few blocks available. Very sad.

More blocks will be opened up for sale only if the ones open now start to sell out. It doesn't look like they'll be needed, sadly, with only 24 hours to go. 

I suspect we're currently taking more to Peterborough! 

1 minute ago, angieram said:

More blocks will be opened up for sale only if the ones open now start to sell out. It doesn't look like they'll be needed, sadly, with only 24 hours to go. 

I suspect we're currently taking more to Peterborough! 

I speak only for myself, but I'm waiting until the pinging restrictions are relaxed in a few weeks before unnecessarily putting myself at risk of another isolation period. 

10 days off work, coming so soon after a previous isolation, isn't worth the risk for a cup game on the TV, same with Peterborough on Saturday, when normally I'd be all for it.

This scholar rule is confusing, unless the EFL have tweaked it following what happened with us in the cup  otherwise why did all of the players that played in the FA Cup count towards the professional number?

WRT the defence tomorrow,  mixed feelings, can't afford injuries so would like to rest Curtis and move Fozzy inside but an opportunity for Curtis and Stearman to get to know each other more.

I'd pos consider Byrne at LB if move Fozzy inside so one of the youngsters can play RB in their natural position, either Festy or Mcdonald 

We know Allsopp and Morrison will play and we know the squad. From that, I would go for:

Allsopp

Ebosele     Stearman    Davies      Forsyth

Shinnie

Morrison     Sibley

Jozwiak     Kazim-Richards     Lawrence

Bench: Roos Byrne Bird Hutchison Stretton Watson Brown

Given Jordan Brown from the U23s is already "of professional standing". If Rooney thinks we need two defensive midfielders at home to a League Two side he is again demonstrating why he shouldn't be manager.

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Rooney: "... I knew if we had conceded the first goal, especially early on, it would be difficult, it could have been a different atmosphere had that been the case. I wanted to stay in the game..."

Got to agree there. New CB pairing hardly knowing each others name, a crowd on edge if they score first?

But it's reactive not pro-active. In the final analysis, WR has said he wants the players to be more courageous, so he has to demonstrate faith in their capacity to be brave by modelling brave decisions himself. OK, for game one given the frantic and frenetic build up just to get a squad together but I want to see courageous management going forward. Talk the talk and walk the walk. Football is 90% confidence, but to be confident sometimes means finding confidence from the courage of your convictions not waiting for things to go your way.