v Salford (H) Match Day Thread

ollycutts1982

1 minute ago, Bianoic said:

Ellafella, you should not choose the words you did to describe our oppositions centre half

Best of luck to you, my friend. 

I will not be responding to any more debate on this matter , lets hope the Rams have a marvellous season and that we all and our families remain in good health

So you can’t say how my description is wrong and choose to withdraw. Ok. Perhaps you’ve realised there isn’t a problem with it. 

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

So you can’t say how my description is wrong and choose to withdraw. Ok. Perhaps you’ve realised there isn’t a problem with it. 

No. They just don't want to continue arguing with you. C'mon it's not a competition. You might be right, you might wrong...etc. #COYR

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Playing at home. With 60,000 fans behind you. Having the easier side of the early stage fixtures. You may think getting to the final was “achievement”, I think it wasn’t. Going 1-0 up and then retreating defensively, whilst having an array of attacking talent on the bench. That was clutching defeat from the jaws of victory if ever there was that scenario. I can’t think of a better example since we were 3-0 up at Leeds and lost 4-3. 

we were playing against probably the most in form team in the world though. Italy not lost for almost 40 games, so I think playing with caution against them is quite understandable. I don't think Southgate threw it away, just that Italy changed their tactics and ended up getting a draw. Then penalties is just a lottery. 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

No. They just don't want to continue arguing with you. C'mon it's not a competition. You might be right, you might wrong...etc. #COYR

I think I have a right, as everybody does, to call out a covert accusation which is clearly incorrect and unfounded. It’s not about “arguing” @RoyMac5, it’s about debating and not using insinuation and then disappearing. If I’m covertly accused of something I have a right of reply. It’s call democracy and freedom, if that doesn’t sound too pompous. 

5 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I suppose it does beg the question would you describe Stearman as our white centre half? Think that maybe the point being made ?

4 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

we were playing against probably the most in form team in the world though. Italy not lost for almost 40 games, so I think playing with caution against them is quite understandable. I don't think Southgate threw it away, just that Italy changed their tactics and ended up getting a draw. Then penalties is just a lottery. 

…only if you give the decider to a rookie 19 year old.

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I think I have a right, as everybody does, to call out a covert accusation which is clearly incorrect and unfounded. It’s not about “arguing” @RoyMac5, it’s about debating and not using insinuation and then disappearing. If I’m covertly accused of something I have a right of reply. It’s call democracy and freedom, if that doesn’t sound too pompous. 

It does sound pompous. It's a bloody [edit: anonymous!] messageboard. Where ideas and comments are typed - so easy to mis-interpret. What does it matter, the other poster didn't want the aggro, why not let it go?

Edited by RoyMac5

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I suppose it does beg the question would you describe Stearman as our white centre half? Think that maybe the point being made ?

Not the case; Huddersfield had 3 white defenders and a black chap. The black chap was outstanding and probably MotM. I don’t recall his name. So I described him. If I couldn’t remember our Polish winger’s name, I’d describe him as our diminutive Polish winger. That is all fact. There is nothing evaluative or value-laden in those words. So, too many people are too quick to engage their own reactive opinions before they think through the implications of their insinuating accusations. Otherwise we become all too quickly enveloped in a Kafka-esque existence of insinuated guilt without a shread of evidence. 

14 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

People saying ridiculous stuff like "penalties is just a lottery" is why England haven't won a tournament since 1966. @Ellafellaspot on with his analysis. In the Euro final England had much the better players but didn't use them and didn't respond appropriately to Italy's tactical changes. A failure of coaching that we hope Rooney doesn't repeat, but I'd suggest the signs aren't good. 

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It does sound pompous. It's a bloody [edit: anonymous!] messageboard. Where ideas and comments are typed - so easy to mis-interpret. What does it matter, the other poster didn't want the aggro, why not let it go?

You’re argument is circular. A poster insinuated I was being racist. Made the charge then failed to back it up. Left it hanging. Yet you ask me to let it go. The moral is, don’t make insinuations if you can’t substantiate them. Simple as that, really. 

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

People saying ridiculous stuff like "penalties is just a lottery" is why England haven't won a tournament since 1966. @Ellafellaspot on with his analysis. In the Euro final England had much the better players but didn't use them and didn't respond appropriately to Italy's tactical changes. A failure of coaching that we hope Rooney doesn't repeat, but I'd suggest the signs aren't good. 

The change in attitude to "penalties isn't just a lottery" is probably the reason we won our first World Cup penalty shootout in 2018.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

Southgate hasnt learnt anything yet he was ultra defensive when we had a great chance in the world cup, then was ultra defensive at the Euros..with the players he had available his team selection and tactics were woeful..

6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

You’re argument is circular. A poster insinuated I was being racist. Made the charge then failed to back it up. Left it hanging. Yet you ask me to let it go. The moral is, don’t make insinuations if you can’t substantiate them. Simple as that, really. 

Okay. Fair does. I thought they were commenting about arguing, fullstop. I've gone back and reread it, and it does seem they think your comment about the black CB was out of order. I have no idea why, other than it's an 'easy' way of describing a player whose name you don't know. I'd probably have done the same in my describing. 

Edited by RoyMac5

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Okay. Fair does. I thought they were commenting about arguing, fullstop. I've gone back and reread it, and it does seem they think your comment about the black CB was out of order. I have no idea why, other than it's an 'easy' way of describing a player whose name you don't know. I'd probably have done the same in my describing. 

Thanks @RoyMac5. That’s decent of you to say. You’ve restored my faith in you as a fair bloke whose opinion I trust. 

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

The Derby Telegraph were certainly saying they all count:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/Derby-county-transfer-embargo-signings-5629779

“That would mean the XI from Chorley, including the three who were subbed on, would count as players of professional standing”

That's nothing more than the writer writing an article on the EFL's embargo page

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That's nothing more than the writer writing an article on the EFL's embargo page

And I was being quoted Steve Nicholson earlier as proof of the opposite.  No one has yet actually pointed to the EFL rules that clarify as to whether scholars can count as players of professional standing or not. My reading of the EFL embargo page suggests they do count as soon as they make a first team appearance. The EFL rules themselves seem to make no mention of “professional standing” at all, as far as I can see.