v Salford (H) Match Day Thread

ollycutts1982

11 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

But it's reactive not pro-active. In the final analysis, WR has said he wants the players to be more courageous, so he has to demonstrate faith in their capacity to be brave by modelling brave decisions himself. OK, for game one given the frantic and frenetic build up just to get a squad together but I want to see courageous management going forward. Talk the talk and walk the walk. Football is 90% confidence, but to be confident sometimes means finding confidence from the courage of your convictions not waiting for things to go your way. 

Oh come on you've got to start with baby steps - we've only just got a full squad and half of them spend their wages on Farley's Rusks!

You can't say we didn't set up without intent to attack in the first half - because we had two penalty shouts turned down and scored. 

38 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Didn't they have a few new faces because of covid plus it was the first game of new championship season ? Not an unreasonable assumption to make in my view. And from what I saw, it was called correctly in practice too.

38 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

This scholar rule is confusing, unless the EFL have tweaked it following what happened with us in the cup  otherwise why did all of the players that played in the FA Cup count towards the professional number?

WRT the defence tomorrow,  mixed feelings, can't afford injuries so would like to rest Curtis and move Fozzy inside but an opportunity for Curtis and Stearman to get to know each other more.

I'd pos consider Byrne at LB if move Fozzy inside so one of the youngsters can play RB in their natural position, either Festy or Mcdonald 

No one actually said ALL of them count.

Williams and Ibrahim are still 2nd year scholars so don't count either way.

Solomon, Bardell, LThompson, Aghatise Cybulski and Duncan are all on professional contracts so would have counted if we didn't ask the EFL to make them exempt.

Ebosele and Hutchinson have played in numerous other games so count regardless of the Chorley game.

35 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh come on you've got to start with baby steps - we've only just got a full squad and half of them spend their wages on Farley's Rusks!

You can't say we didn't set up without intent to attack in the first half - because we had two penalty shouts turned down and scored. 

Yes @RoyMac5, I did acknowledge that but I want to see WR progress this and impose his style like he said he's going to. Fortune favours the brave. Look at the garbage that resulted from Southgate's lack of testicles. ?

32 minutes ago, Bianoic said:

Didn't they have a few new faces because of covid plus it was the first game of new championship season ? Not an unreasonable assumption to make in my view. And from what I saw, it was called correctly in practice too.

Your point seems to underline mine...they had players missing, and were suppine and there for the taking with a braver game plan. I was actually impressed with some of their players - their big black lad at the back was class and their wing-back gave Byrne the jitters, but we played into their hand by being "vulnerable" by our own choosing. 

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

No one actually said ALL of them count..

The Derby Telegraph were certainly saying they all count:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/Derby-county-transfer-embargo-signings-5629779

“That would mean the XI from Chorley, including the three who were subbed on, would count as players of professional standing”

I worry about 3 or 4 of our players playing 3 times in a week. Can't be risking CKR or Davies on a Mickey Mouse cup game.

Need to try a couple of others out in pro games too, bearing in mind how threadbare our squad is.

For me it's

Allsop

McDonald Stearman Forsyth Shinnie

Bird Hutchinson

Ebosele Sibley Morrison

Stretton

Bench: Roos, Byrne, Davies, Williams, Brown, Watson, Lawrence

13 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Yes @RoyMac5, I did acknowledge that but I want to see WR progress this and impose his style like he said he's going to. Fortune favours the brave. Look at the garbage that resulted from Southgate's lack of testicles. ?

One game in? Not really one whole game as they came on 2nd half. Softly, softly catchee monkey, mate.

53 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Farley's rusks .....is that the young uns or the old uns with few teeth ?

15 minutes ago, Rample said:

I worry about 3 or 4 of our players playing 3 times in a week. Can't be risking CKR or Davies on a Mickey Mouse cup game.

Need to try a couple of others out in pro games too, bearing in mind how threadbare our squad is.

For me it's

Allsop

McDonald Stearman Forsyth Shinnie

Bird Hutchinson

Ebosele Sibley Morrison

Stretton

Bench: Roos, Byrne, Davies, Williams, Brown, Watson, Lawrence

Do not risk Davies in this one.

19 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Your point seems to underline mine...they had players missing, and were suppine and there for the taking with a braver game plan. I was actually impressed with some of their players - their big black lad at the back was class and their wing-back gave Byrne the jitters, but we played into their hand by being "vulnerable" by our own choosing. 

Hello Ellafella

I didnt come onto this website to get involved in constant oneupmanship, tooing and fro-wing. Its so destructive and tiring. 

You have your view, which I respect, and I have mine. It doesn't mean we need to ram each others views down our throats.There is a better way. Its not a game of tennis.

Its just an aside, and Im genuinely not trying to score points, but you might want to think about your choice of descriptive adjectives when describing players. 

43 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The Derby Telegraph were certainly saying they all count:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/Derby-county-transfer-embargo-signings-5629779

“That would mean the XI from Chorley, including the three who were subbed on, would count as players of professional standing”

That was written before the EFL gave us the exemption, was it not?

15 minutes ago, Bianoic said:

Hello Ellafella

I didnt come onto this website to get involved in constant oneupmanship, tooing and fro-wing. Its so destructive and tiring. 

You have your view, which I respect, and I have mine. It doesn't mean we need to ram each others views down our throats.There is a better way. Its not a game of tennis.

Its just an aside, and Im genuinely not trying to score points, but you might want to think about your choice of descriptive adjectives when describing players

In what way @Bianoic? Is there something wrong with my description? 

4 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

That was written before the EFL gave us the exemption, was it not?

Yeah, that’s what we’re talking about though - whether Dylan Williams was classed as a professional standing player post-Chorley, prior to us getting the exemption.  Or whether there’s something, somewhere in the rules that means scholars don’t count towards that limit.

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

In what way @Bianoic? Is there something wrong with my description? 

Ellafella, you should not choose the words you did to describe our oppositions centre half

Best of luck to you, my friend. 

I will not be responding to any more debate on this matter , lets hope the Rams have a marvellous season and that we all and our families remain in good health

Just now, Chris_Martin said:

anyone can lose a penalty shootout. 

its an achievement to have even got that far in the first place. 

Playing at home. With 60,000 fans behind you. Having the easier side of the early stage fixtures. You may think getting to the final was “achievement”, I think it wasn’t. Going 1-0 up and then retreating defensively, whilst having an array of attacking talent on the bench. That was clutching defeat from the jaws of victory if ever there was that scenario. I can’t think of a better example since we were 3-0 up at Leeds and lost 4-3.