v Salford (H) Match Day Thread

ollycutts1982

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Then you'll be looking at the U18s to fill the bench as they won't count towards the professional standing quota.
I imagine Ryan (CB) and Ibrahim (CM/AM) would be the likely contenders

That's not right, is it? If they play for the first team in a league or cup game, they count as of-professional-standing, regardless of age.

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

That's not right, is it? If they play for the first team in a league or cup game, they count as of-professional-standing, regardless of age.

Not if they're scholars as that's why Williams is my LB.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not if they're scholars as that's why Williams is my LB.

That's not in the rules anywhere, that I can see - if they play, they count as a pro.  It's why we had to beg for an exemption for the Chorley players - they were (or at least some were) scholars, but counted as pros once they'd played.

To be clear, there's nothing stopping us playing them, but they would count as pros afterwards and block potential other signings if we let players leave.

Sad that Cashin and Thompson is missing out. Assuming under 18s can play without affecting 'professional standing' numbers then Williams (or a fit Buchanan) should start - I'd also put CKR on the bench. Fozzy comes at centre back to give one of the old men a rest. Give Sibley a start as a reward and to keep his morale up. 

Allsop

Byrne Stearman Forsyth Williams 

Bird Shinnie 

Sibley Lawrence Joswiak 

Stretton 

subs Roos - McDonald - Davies - Hutchinson - Ebosele - Watson - CKR 

5 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

That's not in the rules anywhere, that I can see - if they play, they count as a pro.  It's why we had to beg for an exemption for the Chorley players - they were (or at least some were) scholars, but counted as pros once they'd played.

To be clear, there's nothing stopping us playing them, but they would count as pros afterwards and block potential other signings if we let players leave.

13:45 STEVE NICHOLSON

Squad

Squad will be the same as Saturday, the only player who is not classed as a player of 'professional standing' is Dylan Williams, the 17 year old is still a scholar.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

13:45 STEVE NICHOLSON

Squad

Squad will be the same as Saturday, the only player who is not classed as a player of 'professional standing' is Dylan Williams, the 17 year old is still a scholar.

But is Nicholson saying he doesn't count now (but will if he plays), or that he is free to play without being 'capped'?  My understanding is the first.  Williams was one of the players who played against Chorley - it would make no sense if we had to get an exemption for that game, but he could freely play in this one.

23 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Williams and Ibrahim were part of the 'Chorley 8' still with us but not on pro contracts.
1st year pros: Solomon, Bardell, Aghatise, Cybulski
2nd year pros: LThompson
Other: Duncan

Festy and Hutchinson also played but still count

Edited by Ghost of Clough

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Williams and Ibrahim were part of the 'Chorley 8' still with us but not on pro contracts.
1st year pros: Solomon, Bardell, Aghatise, Cybulski
2nd year pros: LThompson
Other: Duncan

Festy and Hutchinson also played but still count

So if Williams plays tomorrow, he counts as a pro again? Just like he did from the Chorley game, until we got an exemption?

Unless him and Ibrahim never counted from Chorley and it just wasn't made clear at the time?  But like I said, there's no mention in the rules on the EFL website about scholars not counting as professional standing.

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

So if Williams plays tomorrow, he counts as a pro again? Just like he did from the Chorley game, until we got an exemption?

Unless him and Ibrahim never counted from Chorley and it just wasn't made clear at the time?  But like I said, there's no mention in the rules on the EFL website about scholars not counting as professional standing.

As he's on a youth contract, he won't count towards the professional standing quota... only players on professional contracts count

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

As he's on a youth contract, he won't count towards the professional standing quota... only players on professional contracts count

Where does it say that in the rules?

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/embargoes/embargoes-faqs/ says "Professional Standing = is any Player who has made one first team appearance (including as a sub) for any Club in any first team competition (EFL Trophy appearances do not count)."

53 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Allsop

Byrne Stearman Fozzy Williams

Hutchinson Shinnie

Sibley Morrison Joz

Stretton

Roos, Bird, CKR, Watson, Festy

Bit lightweight bar Hutch and Stearman and Foz.

Who've I missed off, I kept remembering youngsters!?

Are we saying Williams wouldn’t take a place in the squad even if he makes an appearance on account of being a scholar?

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

We all know the League cup isn't going to be the big deal for us this season but I think a positive run in the first few rounds of the cup would be something to lighten the mood and might get is a payday against a big club (who think's we'll end up playing Man U or Everton in a totally random draw?)

Speak for yourself. We're still on for the treble at the moment you half fan!