v Huddersfield (H) Match Thread

Day

14 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not a bad point considering the situation.

We must add more. This team as it is goes down unfortunately. I didn't see any coherent style of play. We looked toothless in the final third until Louie Sibley injected some much-needed urgency and forward running.

Our defending from set-pieces left a lot to be desired. Slack. There was little control in midfield too.

Huddersfield will feel they had the chances to win that. 

Forsyth had a really good game. Bird decent, and Sibley a really big threat.

Sorba Thomas for them looks a great find. He was signed from non-league in January! He looked head and shoulders the best player on the pitch today and gave Nathan Byrne all kinds of trouble.

Morrison said the same about Thomas on SKY…

1 minute ago, cosmic said:

How is a free transfer a huge gamble? Surely it’s a free hit?

I think when you have a limit on the amount of players you can bring in, picking someone with the track record Rav has is arguably a gamble ?

I hope he does well because this team certainly needs some spark. We look…basic. Not sure if this is just due to personal or if this is Rooney’s long awaited “style.”

Plenty of work rate and effort,no real spark going forward ,you always feel Lawrence and joz are going to have the ball taken off them or run into traffic before passing or shooting, 

big worry was at the back , ok ish early on but my god we were easy to get behind and against a better side we would have been in trouble ,our defending of set pieces is almost non existent, free headers were the order of the day yet again 

but it’s a point on the board and move on though ive a feeling it’s going to be a long hard season??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Joz was fine until that one moment where he should have either shot or slipped in Forsyth overlapping down the left. He did neither, lost the ball, and then his confidence was zapped.

For 60 minutes his ball retention was far better than anyone else we had in the final third.

But he needs to add an attacking threat. If he doesn't, then he should perhaps consider a change of position to a deeper role, maybe either as a wingback or a deep, creative midfielder.

He has the atributes to hold the ball fine and move away from defenders. He can't kick the ball with any real purpose though!

Plays wingback for Poland sometimes doesn’t he?

5 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

Morrison is a huge gamble. Could be a risk that pays off finally. Killer passes and creative ability 

Not really. A 1 year deal on relative low wages. Think about the 3/4 year deals we’ve gave out these past few years. I’m pretty sure he’ll do more than Anya did for example. Hopefully!

Just now, cosmic said:

Sorry, I don’t get this criticism of Sibley at all. Would you substitute any attacking threat if it meant the opposition wouldn’t get a sniff?

Because for all the positives there are as many negatives, and that is one of the reasons he's not been starting. Just thought it ought to be mentioned. I like Sibley but he's very much 'the Curate's Egg'. But then he's also young so has plenty of developing to do.

Dont feel we ever got to grips with their formation, they always seemed to have a spare man in the middle, our wingers needed to do more to help our centre mids. Shinnie & Bird really struggled to get on the ball for the majority of the game.

Roos, Davies & Forsyth were immense all game. Thought Shinnie & Jozwiak were poor today, Lawrence didnt offer much going forward. 

We really do lack pace going forward, when we played Martin upfront we had runners off him all the time, CKR had very little running off him.

A point is a point, better than a defeat, onto the next game.

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

I think when you have a limit on the amount of players you can bring in, picking someone with the track record Rav has is arguably a gamble ?

I hope he does well because this team certainly needs some spark. We look…basic. Not sure if this is just due to personal or if this is Rooney’s long awaited “style.”

Absolutely, I get this. Unfortunately for us, we also have a limit of available players we can bring in..! 

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

Plays wingback for Poland sometimes doesn’t he?

Yeah he did during the Euros. Perhaps there is more space at wingback to drive forward.

I really like parts of his game. Almost as much as I liked Simon Dawkins. But unfortunately, both are heading in the direction of being deemed useless by a section of our supporters because they lack a killer goal threat.

And it's hard to disagree in this particular Derby side which is so short on goals. If Joz occupies one of the three forward positions, we can't really afford to have him there not contributing to goals.

So he either needs to find a goal scoring touch, play in a different position or leave for his own benefit.

10 minutes ago, cosmic said:

How is a free transfer a huge gamble? Surely it’s a free hit?

When we are  limited to a small  numbers of players we  can sign and we haven’t got two beans to rub together. All signings are a huge gamble atm. All need to be incredibly talented bargains 

14 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Joz was fine until that one moment where he should have either shot or slipped in Forsyth overlapping down the left. He did neither, lost the ball, and then his confidence was zapped.

For 60 minutes his ball retention was far better than anyone else we had in the final third.

But he needs to add an attacking threat. If he doesn't, then he should perhaps consider a change of position to a deeper role, maybe either as a wingback or a deep, creative midfielder.

He has the atributes to hold the ball fine and move away from defenders. He can't kick the ball with any real purpose though!

He doesn't fit in the way we play under Rooney and probably never will. It's not really a surprise he continues to be singled out for criticism from people who don't understand cause and effect on a football pitch.

Edited by Coconut

5 minutes ago, Ruud Aralliss said:

Been at PP so not read any of the thread.

Thought Jozwiak looked a bit disinterested in pre season, thought he looked totally today.  He doesn’t want to play for us does he?

I don't think that's the case at all