The ultimate blame

Gringo

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Except we were still functioning up to that point Tyler.

If you think that the troubles we have now are in any way root caused by the EFL or Covid then we live on different planets.

The immediate cause MAY have been Covid or the EFL but the root cause(s) go right back to the same person every time.

The root cause is where you focus your actions if this was an accident investigation not the immediate cause. 

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

If you think that the troubles we have now are in any way root caused by the EFL or Covid then we live on different planets.

The immediate cause MAY have been Covid or the EFL but the root cause(s) go right back to the same person every time.

The root cause is where you focus your actions if this was an accident investigation not the immediate cause. 

I didn't say they weren't. I said we were still 'ticking over' until the EFL and covid.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I didn't say they weren't. I said we were still 'ticking over' until the EFL and covid.

I just find it unhelpful that's all when Covid and the EFL start getting mentioned with regards to our current predicament, in my eyes they only get brought up as a diversionary tactic to shift the focus away from where the true issues lie. 

If we were ticking over as you put it then why are we the only club in the Championship that find ourselves in our current predicament.

I think we were a lot closer to the wire before Covid than anyone imagined and anyone at the club would dare to disclose either. 

As a mere fan, we have a few ways of influencing the direction of our club. The biggest way is buying tickets to attend games and cheering the lads on. Unless a fan owns a controlling stake, we're consumers of a live entertainment service. We cannot directly influence the actions taken by management, although can shout our displeasure by booing in the stands, holding up home made banners or simply not turning up.

Yes, there is an expectation from fans that your club should do well and that those making the decisions do so in a manner that puts the club in the best possible position in the table. It's not fans fault how management make such decisions as running a football club is not a democracy, and Derby County is not a public share holding. We cannot vote at an AGM. We can only vote with our chants and feet. 

Mel is a fan of this club and bought a controlling stake. He invested heavily. He nearly got us into the EPL. However, it is his decisions, and some bad luck, that have also got us to where we are now. No other fan had a say in any of the decisions he or his employed management team made. 

My personal opinion on Mel is that he's always operated with the clubs best interests at heart. I believe he still does. That doesn't mean he's made all the right decisions.

3 hours ago, Jayram said:

How old are you - you sound like a petulant 13 year old. The ultimate blame lies with a man who took over ownership of a debt free football club full of talented players and coaching staff and proceeded to hire and fire managers at will, splash out ludicrous amounts of cash on bang average players based on advice from a recruitment team that included his stepson and go for ‘Hollywood’ managerial appointments instead of someone who had solid experience of managing at this level. 
As for Mel running out of money believe me he’ll be ok - the £300 million plus still in his bank account should help keep the wolves from the door. On the other hand our football club is up to its eyeballs in debt because of him.

I along with thousands of others have been putting my hand in my pocket for the best part of 40 years supporting this football club while trying to bring up a family and pay a mortgage. If I had Mel’s money I’d have spent it a damn sight more sensibly than he has so I’m not taking a lecture from the likes of you about it.

The state Mel Morris has left this football club in is a disgrace. Not one single Derby County fan owes him anything other our contempt for the way he has wrecked our club. 

Unfortunately I am not 13years old I wish I was, I assume you however are an employee at Mel’s bank as you obviously have access to his personal accounts to be able to quote his bank balance so accurately. The club is up to its eyeballs in debt to him, and you cannot say how you would have spent £200 million as you have never had nor never will have that kind of cash.

7 minutes ago, Charlotte Ram said:

It is better to think of your own insults than to plagiarise those from the 19th century USA, I would throw an original insult back at you but I have only just got my board warnings removed and I want to save my next warning for a really deserving case, which you are not.

Debating and disagreeing with other posters is one thing, I think that is healthy, but there is an insulting and nastiness about your posts that are unnecessary……

10 minutes ago, Charlotte Ram said:

Unfortunately I am not 13years old I wish I was, I assume you however are an employee at Mel’s bank as you obviously have access to his personal accounts to be able to quote his bank balance so accurately. The club is up to its eyeballs in debt to him, and you cannot say how you would have spent £200 million as you have never had nor never will have that kind of cash.

How do you know that,are you an employee at @Jayrambank?

22 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Debating and disagreeing with other posters is one thing, I think that is healthy, but there is an insulting and nastiness about your posts that are unnecessary……

My answer is to quote Exodus 21:23, an Eye for an Eye, 

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I myself remember sharing a rather delicious bottle of Beaujolais with Mel as I gave the green light to spending £3 million on Nick Blackman.

Indeed, I am to blame.

I remember taunting the Wendies at work because he had signed for us rather than them ,disgraceful by me but that’s why I work in a Warehouse and don’t own a football club.

Anyone who did the Abdoul Camara Zafira/Calais chant has blood on their hands(myself included).

6 hours ago, Charlotte Ram said:

The ultimate blame lies with the supporters, demanding new players twice a year, demanding seat prices to be lower and demanding promotion to the premiership whatever the cost. So the richest man in Derby has run out of cash and the will to carry on subsidizing a club where a  cohort  of supporters want him to “walk away now” and to “eff off” but are evidently not prepared to put their own hands in their pockets in any meaningful way. The facts are (for the benefit of corporal dictionary).The wages are being paid as evidenced by no new charges from the EFL, new potential signings do want to join the Rams as evidenced by the quantity of triallists, previous foot balling debts paid evidenced by the removal of that charge by the EFL, but no this is not enough, the fans want see Mel bankrupted all his money gone and living in a cardboard box under a railway arch, the loss of hundreds of millions of his personal money is not enough, he should be made to eff off so the baying rabble shout. My last word is be careful what you wish for you might get it, he or MSD would still own the stadium, wages would not be paid and more than a hundred employees of DCFC would lose their jobs and the club would be liquidated.
Would that give you satisfaction?

cutting ones nose off would appear to be the plastic surgery of choice for most on here.

tenor.gif?itemid=11908931

2 hours ago, ramit said:

i am not excusing Mel's actions, he has left us in deep trouble and his responsibility is by far the greatest, i am just saying many of us cheered him on and need to admit that to ourselves, if not others.

Not arguing with that. Yes we all cheered and sang “he’s one of our own”. We would all have been delighted if the gamble had paid off if we’d been promoted but, the fact remains, none of us really knew how high the stakes were or the consequences of failure. Even if we had, and continued to cheer/encourage him, it still doesn’t make us responsible for the miss management of the club. I have been a Mel supporter but he can’t abdicate responsibility and we can’t shift the blame to the fans.

Mel is a successful business man in possession of the full details of the financial position when decisions were made. We were not and, of course, we’re going to be thrilled when the club sign expensive players (even if they do turn out to be duds). What do you expect “hold on Mel, are you sure we can afford him? Have you done a full assessment of the impact of his future wages? Can you share with us your risk assessment and financial modelling for promotion v remaining in the championship?” 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Mel has backed every manager he's appointed and I would say up until Rooney, the vast majority of this forum backed each managerial appointment. Can't fault the guy in my opinion. I felt the same about Lionel Pickering and thought the amount of abuse directed at him was out of order too. 

We're in a mess but at least we've had a go. We could have been sensible and not made the signings we have over the years, but then the fans would have moaned about that.  The blame for me lies at the door of the recruitment team and certainly not Mel Morris.