The ultimate blame

Gringo

I never wanted Mel to waste millions on the club I wanted him to make sure we had a sustainable football club for many years.

Buy young ambitious players with a potential sell on fee with a few experienced players and youth team players but never pay over the odds, might take a few years to get to the Premiership but better than the shambles we are in now.

6 minutes ago, ramit said:

Although the post is over the top IMO, it does touch on a volatile subject matter.  The general population likes to have leaders, it is not merely sheepish behavior, it is a way of avoiding responsibility, that blame lies solely at the top, yet ultimately people whether they accept it or not, get the leaders they deserve.

The club has been run at loss for many seasons now, fans knew this, yet many found that acceptable, when it is not, but rather a clear example of bad business practices.  Mel bet on the club achieving promotion and lost that bet and the club is in dire trouble as a result, but he had many supporters of that strategy.  Outraged at the mention, or not, fans share in responsibility.

What should us fans have done differently then? 

11 minutes ago, ramit said:

Although the post is over the top IMO, it does touch on a volatile subject matter.  The general population likes to have leaders, it is not merely sheepish behavior, it is a way of avoiding responsibility, that blame lies solely at the top, yet ultimately people whether they accept it or not, get the leaders they deserve.

The club has been run at loss for many seasons now, fans knew this, yet many found that acceptable, when it is not, but rather a clear example of bad business practices.  Mel bet on the club achieving promotion and lost that bet and the club is in dire trouble as a result, but he had many supporters of that strategy.  Outraged at the mention, or not, fans share in responsibility.

I don't think that's fair personally. I can't speak on behalf of those supporters who like me agreed with his strategy of spending big to try and achieve promotion, but I made the mistake of trusting him and Pearce when they reassured fans at every forum they did where they repeatedly said, "we will be within FFP limits and will comply with the rules." I'm certain I and many other fans would have a completely different opinion if they were transparent at the time and told us we could make these signings and comply with the rules, but to do so we will have to sell the stadium and use a different accounting method to all other clubs. At that stage, I was under the impression we were pushing it close to the limits but the sales of players like Hendrick, Ince, Hughes, Christie, Vydra, Weimann and others would keep us just within.

Edited by Cam the Ram

8 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

What should us fans have done differently then? 

Think of the club's long term well being, not support financially irresponsible plans or actions would be one area we could improve on IMO

8 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

I don't think that's fair personally. I can't speak on behalf of those supporters who like me agreed with his strategy of spending big to try and achieve promotion, but I made the mistake of trusting him and Pearce when they reassured fans at every forum they did where they repeatedly said, "we will be within FFP limits and will comply with the rules." I'm certain I and many other fans would have a completely different opinion if they were transparent at the time and told us we could make these signings and comply with the rules, but to do so we will have to sell the stadium and use a different accounting method to all other clubs. At that stage, I was under the impression we were pushing it close to the limits but the sales of players like Hendrick, Ince, Hughes, Christie, Vydra, Weimann and others would keep us just within.

We are responsible for who we trust, perhaps we should be more conservative with it.

Just now, ramit said:

We are responsible for who we trust, perhaps we should be more conservative with it.

And up until the news of the stadium being sold we had few reasons not to trust Mel and Pearce, but by that stage it was too late and the damage was already done. Maybe some of us were naïve, but when you see all those players sold for what must be pushing 40 million, if not more over the span of 3 years and you have the owner, a lifelong Derby fan, repeatedly reassuring you we are abiding by the rules, it's just difficult to foresee the sh*tshow that was coming. 

So how do we not support the irresponsible plans, not go to games?

By letting our voices be heard? 

Placing critique where i see it does not obligate me to come up with all the answers, yanno.

8 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

And up until the news of the stadium being sold we had few reasons not to trust Mel and Pearce, but by that stage it was too late and the damage was already done. Maybe some of us were naïve, but when you see all those players sold for what must be pushing 40 million, if not more over the span of 3 years and you have the owner, a lifelong Derby fan, repeatedly reassuring you we are abiding by the rules, it's just difficult to foresee the sh*tshow that was coming. 

The stadium was sold to attempt to patch up a bad situation that had been brewing for some time by overextending when we should not have.  Hey, i am not blameless, i got excited about new expensive signings we should not have touched.

42 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Mel Morris - spent more than was allowed, sold the stadium to try and mask the problem, hired/trusted people who haven't really delivered results (recruitment team, multiple managers, Ince family etc.), made decisions that resulted in lengthy law suits (Rush, Keogh, EFL etc.), utilised an accounting method different to the other 91 Premier League and FL clubs which lead to more problems, dealt with some dodgy people (Gabay, Alonso, the Sheikh etc.), failed with multiple takeover and investment talks, failed to pay wages on multiple occasions, has made decisions that have put us under a transfer embargo on multiple occasions and has the club in the worst state it has been in for many years.

Derby fans - wanted some signings to improve the squad (WITHOUT BREACHING FFP RULES), want to pay less than 30 quid every week for an hour and a half of football and want Mel to hurry up and move on so we can start fresh.

Sorry lads, this one is on us .... our bad

I just want to go back to being on the Popside and throwing fun-size Mars Bars at Gazza.

23 minutes ago, ramit said:

By letting our voices be heard? 

Placing critique where i see it does not obligate me to come up with all the answers, yanno.

I totally agree that the fans should have a voice and that the club should be open and transparent. I have written to the club previously outlining my concerns about some of the decisions taken by the club. I debate issues on here, what else can I do so that I as a fan don’t take the blame for the decisions the powers that be have taken. That’s what I don’t get in terms of blaming the fans for the mess? What could the fans have done differently?

2 hours ago, Charlotte Ram said:

The ultimate blame lies with the supporters, demanding new players twice a year, demanding seat prices to be lower and demanding promotion to the premiership whatever the cost. So the richest man in Derby has run out of cash and the will to carry on subsidizing a club where a  cohort  of supporters want him to “walk away now” and to “eff off” but are evidently not prepared to put their own hands in their pockets in any meaningful way. The facts are (for the benefit of corporal dictionary).The wages are being paid as evidenced by no new charges from the EFL, new potential signings do want to join the Rams as evidenced by the quantity of triallists, previous foot balling debts paid evidenced by the removal of that charge by the EFL, but no this is not enough, the fans want see Mel bankrupted all his money gone and living in a cardboard box under a railway arch, the loss of hundreds of millions of his personal money is not enough, he should be made to eff off so the baying rabble shout. My last word is be careful what you wish for you might get it, he or MSD would still own the stadium, wages would not be paid and more than a hundred employees of DCFC would lose their jobs and the club would be liquidated.
Would that give you satisfaction?

cutting ones nose off would appear to be the plastic surgery of choice for most on here.

How old are you - you sound like a petulant 13 year old. The ultimate blame lies with a man who took over ownership of a debt free football club full of talented players and coaching staff and proceeded to hire and fire managers at will, splash out ludicrous amounts of cash on bang average players based on advice from a recruitment team that included his stepson and go for ‘Hollywood’ managerial appointments instead of someone who had solid experience of managing at this level. 
As for Mel running out of money believe me he’ll be ok - the £300 million plus still in his bank account should help keep the wolves from the door. On the other hand our football club is up to its eyeballs in debt because of him.

I along with thousands of others have been putting my hand in my pocket for the best part of 40 years supporting this football club while trying to bring up a family and pay a mortgage. If I had Mel’s money I’d have spent it a damn sight more sensibly than he has so I’m not taking a lecture from the likes of you about it.

The state Mel Morris has left this football club in is a disgrace. Not one single Derby County fan owes him anything other our contempt for the way he has wrecked our club. 

2 hours ago, Charlotte Ram said:

The ultimate blame lies with the supporters, demanding new players twice a year, demanding seat prices to be lower and demanding promotion to the premiership whatever the cost. So the richest man in Derby has run out of cash and the will to carry on subsidizing a club where a  cohort  of supporters want him to “walk away now” and to “eff off” but are evidently not prepared to put their own hands in their pockets in any meaningful way. The facts are (for the benefit of corporal dictionary).The wages are being paid as evidenced by no new charges from the EFL, new potential signings do want to join the Rams as evidenced by the quantity of triallists, previous foot balling debts paid evidenced by the removal of that charge by the EFL, but no this is not enough, the fans want see Mel bankrupted all his money gone and living in a cardboard box under a railway arch, the loss of hundreds of millions of his personal money is not enough, he should be made to eff off so the baying rabble shout. My last word is be careful what you wish for you might get it, he or MSD would still own the stadium, wages would not be paid and more than a hundred employees of DCFC would lose their jobs and the club would be liquidated.
Would that give you satisfaction?

cutting ones nose off would appear to be the plastic surgery of choice for most on here.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. You really should think about that saying before posting such utter nonsense in the future. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

56 minutes ago, ramit said:

Think of the club's long term well being, not support financially irresponsible plans or actions would be one area we could improve on IMO

What difference did the fans make though????

It's clear that any aspect of input from the fans on any area of the club's running has no bearing whatsoever on what the club does.

Even the rams trusts requests for information are being ignored.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

I totally agree that the fans should have a voice and that the club should be open and transparent. I have written to the club previously outlining my concerns about some of the decisions taken by the club. I debate issues on here, what else can I do so that I as a fan don’t take the blame for the decisions the powers that be have taken. That’s what I don’t get in terms of blaming the fans for the mess? What could the fans have done differently?

Because of this rude awakening i ask myself how can i be a better supporter.  We fans are a group, this group has a collective responsibility to have our priorities in order, that places the long term well being of the club at the top.  Like i wrote earlier, we are also responsible for the trust we show to our leaders.  If the leaders we trust fail, it's also on us.