The Championship 21/22

Day

41 minutes ago, JfR said:

Saw an interesting bit in the Daily Mail about Aleksandar Mitrovic
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10171155/Sky-Sports-miss-Antonio-Contes-Tottenham-bow-Premier-League-NOT-TV.html

Reportedly, the contract he signed in the offseason has him on wages of £100,000 a week. Now, if there's any player at this level that probably warrants that sort of money, it's Mitrovic, but still, it just reiterates the disparity in this league that a club can pay that sort of money to a single player, particularly after over a season with no gate money, when other similar size clubs at this level can't afford above four digit wages.

Stupid wages, but he is better than this level for sure.

Still, did you see our wage bill during Gary Rowett’s season in charge? It was £40m per year.

Around £750k per week.

A squad of 25 that averages to £30,000 per player. We are in no position to complain about other team’s wages when we were spending that sort of dosh with the likes of Darren Bent on over £40k per week.

The difference being that Bent had no re-sale value while Fulham could get £15m+ for Mitrovic quite easily.

8 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Or 0,if he runs his contract down. 

Either way, he fires them to promotion and further riches, or they could sell him for profits.

We got worse with Darren Bent in the side and we were paying him a packet too while he had no resale value. And to top it off, he triggered an extension clause in his contract that even the owner didn’t know about.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Either way, he fires them to promotion and further riches, or they could sell him for profits.

We got worse with Darren Bent in the side and we were paying him a packet too while he had no resale value. And to top it off, he triggered an extension clause in his contract that even the owner didn’t know about.

True that overall, we had only one chance with Bent... If he didn't fire us to promotion he was a busted flush. 

The bit about the options I think falls into the definition of "shenanigans". Or a terrible control environment. Or both. 

It's difficult to fathom working in a mutual financial services environment where you couldn't commit to spending more than about £30 without layers of scrutiny.... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

QPR v Swansea City  COVIDOFF!

QPR have postponed Saturday's home game with Swansea City amid continued Covid-19 cases at the Championship club.

It is a second postponement this week for Rangers, who also had to call off Monday's trip to Sheffield United.

QPR again say that there has been "a number of positive Covid-19 cases" in their first-team squad.

In a statement, QPR said the EFL would "review the circumstances" of the decision and a rearranged date would be confirmed in due course.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59644058

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Mr Popodopolous from the Bristol City forum will be livid when he finds out another Championship team have spent beyond their means in an attempt to achieve success.

"Bristols Going Bust" is a headline I'd love to see ? 

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

So what happens next for them? Can’t imagine they have made a profit since Lansdown took over. If he had run Hargreaves Lansdown like he’s run Bristol City, we’d be throwing him change in a bus shelter.

Not much I expect. Over the most recent 3 year period they've got 1 season which includes sales of players for huge sums of money (Webster 20mil +, Kelly 10mil+, Brownhill just short of 10mil etc.), so despite spending a big chunk (around 30 million), they should be fine for now. I've not actually looked through their accounts from recent years so could be wrong, but I'd guess their big problem would be a huge increase with their wage bill. They've signed loads of players from Prem teams who would have already been on decent wages, signed a lot of free agents who'd usually get good wages because of no transfer fee being involved and they've had a lot of fairly big name loans who won't have been cheap (Afobe, Benkovic who they beat us to sign, Mawson etc.). 

As more and more non parachute teams come out with similar worrying losses, I personally think the EFL will make more adjustments so they don't have to punish half the league. I think us and Reading will be the last 2 teams to be punished for quite a while until things start to return to normal. 

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

Not much I expect. Over the most recent 3 year period they've got 1 season which includes sales of players for huge sums of money (Webster 20mil +, Kelly 10mil+, Brownhill just short of 10mil etc.), so despite spending a big chunk (around 30 million), they should be fine for now. I've not actually looked through their accounts from recent years so could be wrong, but I'd guess their big problem would be a huge increase with their wage bill. They've signed loads of players from Prem teams who would have already been on decent wages, signed a lot of free agents who'd usually get good wages because of no transfer fee being involved and they've had a lot of fairly big name loans who won't have been cheap (Afobe, Benkovic who they beat us to sign, Mawson etc.). 

As more and more non parachute teams come out with similar worrying losses, I personally think the EFL will make more adjustments so they don't have to punish half the league. I think us and Reading will be the last 2 teams to be punished for quite a while until things start to return to normal. 

Mr Ploppy seems to think that next season and the season after are a huge problem for them unless they get some big transfer income again, but I can't see any of their players who would go for more than £2-3m at the moment. 

43 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Mr Popodopolous from the Bristol City forum will be livid when he finds out another Championship team have spent beyond their means in an attempt to achieve success.

I think there chairman converts some debt into shares he gives himself every year to write part of it off.    They must be worth tuppence by now.  Shocked that the bastions of the EFL would carry on with this kind of behaviour but you just can't trust anyone .  I vote for relegation immediately.

no-thumbs-down.gif