The Championship 21/22

Day

On 19/08/2021 at 07:43, Mostyn6 said:

Jokanovic struggling at Sheff United. Never really bought into the hype regarding him. 

Far too early to say he’s struggling. Remember his Fulham team took a while to get going then stormed up the table in their promotion season.

Two recent promotions on your CV (playing good football) is about as good as you can get at this level, King Colin aside.

55 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Far too early to say he’s struggling. Remember his Fulham team took a while to get going then stormed up the table in their promotion season.

Two recent promotions on your CV (playing good football) is about as good as you can get at this level, King Colin aside.

Think both promotions would’ve happened regardless with a competent manager. 

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Think both promotions would’ve happened regardless with a competent manager. 

The Watford promotion was probably no great shake. They go through so many managers you wonder how much of an impact they actually have.

The fulham one was more impressive. They were awful in 2014-15. We beat them 5-1 and 5-2 that season!

He took over midway through 2015-16. Pretty sure they were in a relegation fight back then. In his first season he got top 6 and second full season they were promoted.

He does seem a strange choice for Sheffield United though. Wilder’s system was so unique it may take a while for the players to adapt to something else like Joka’s possession game. They’ll be slow burners.

It’s strange because I look at that Sheffield United squad now and start to think it’s full of players who were average to good at this level or below until Wilder got hold of them, with a very mixed bag of additions as part of their 2 years in the Prem. Doesn’t look like a banker top team like Fulham’s squad does, for example.

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

It’s strange because I look at that Sheffield United squad now and start to think it’s full of players who were average to good at this level or below until Wilder got hold of them, with a very mixed bag of additions as part of their 2 years in the Prem. Doesn’t look like a banker top team like Fulham’s squad does, for example.

Spot on. They are a group of players which are at the end of their cycle.

Wilder did an unbelievable job with that squad. People think that because they have just come down from the premier League, they're going to be competing for automatic promotion. I just don't see it at all.

I think they have a lot of average players. It's a squad which drastically overachieved under a good manager.

It didn't take long for West Brom and Fulham to assert their authority in this league.  Bournemouth may challenge, as should Sheffield United, but no other side will be close to top two this season. Not within 10 points anyway.

Edited by Bris Vegas

46 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It didn't take long for West Brom and Fulham to assert their authority in this league.  Bournemouth may challenge, as should Sheffield United, but no other side will be close to top two this season. Not within 10 points anyway.

Sheffield United? They've not done particularly well so far and their strike force makes ours look like Brazil. The way they are palying at the moment I'd be expecting them to finish closer to relegation than promotion.

Edited by GenBr

10 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Sheffield United? They've not done particularly well so far and their strike force makes ours look like Brazil. The way they are palying at the moment I'd be expecting them to finish closer to relegation than promotion.

Just conceded a last minute goal to Huddersfield and lost