The Championship 21/22

David

What I learned from the weekend, to paraphrase Mark Langdon from the Racing Post. Not sure I'm  any the wiser! I think it was interesting what Mark Warburton said on the post match highlights (Quest). After a strange interregnum (Covid) and empty stadiums, it will take time for sides/players to get used to crowds again. 

I posted that one side with a manager in place for at least a season usually challenges the usual suspects, the relegated PL sides with their squads & parachute payments. I now think Stoke could be that team if they sign Delap, meaning they could have four strikers once Campbell is back. O'Neill comes across as a durable manager, capable of organizing a side & after adding creativity (Vrancic), I'd be surprised if they didn't finish in the top six. They've downsized but were able to replace well. 

I thought Preston were going to disprove my prediction after taking the lead but that was a heavy loss at home to a promoted side. The loss of a GK didn't help but I think Alex Neil had done all he could under the circumstances. He is also regarded by some in the game as a manager whose sides are usually difficult to play against. So I anticipate Preston to make a change and I'd be surprised if they don't figure in the relegation dogfight.

Edited by Asanovic70

4 hours ago, Asanovic70 said:

What I learned from the weekend, to paraphrase Mark Langdon from the Racing Post. Not sure I'm  any the wiser! I think it was interesting what Mark Warburton said on the post match highlights (Quest). After a strange interregnum (Covid) and empty stadiums, it will take time for sides/players to get used to crowds again. 

I posted that one side with a manager in place for at least a season usually challenges the usual suspects, the relegated PL sides with their squads & parachute payments. I now think Stoke could be that team if they sign Delap, meaning they could have four strikers once Campbell is back. O'Neill comes across as a durable manager, capable of organizing a side & after adding creativity (Vrancic), I'd be surprised if they didn't finish in the top six. They've downsized but were able to replace well. 

I thought Preston were going to disprove my prediction after taking the lead but that was a heavy loss at home to a promoted side. The loss of a GK didn't help but I think Alex Neil had done all he could under the circumstances. He is also regarded by some in the game as a manager whose sides are usually difficult to play against. So I anticipate Preston to make a change and I'd be surprised if they don't figure in the relegation dogfight.

Alex Neil isnt their manager now anyway, its some guy called Frankie Mcavoy

Early doors, both for him and this season in general, but really quite like the look of that Fabio Carvalho at Fulham. Had a great start to the season, with 2 goals and an assist in 3 games. Must be doing something right to have got a starting role in that stacked Fulham squad at that young of an age.

Fulham just highlight how broken football is. I don't understand FFP fully but how can they have spent £130m+ on their squad when their only meaningful sale in the past few seasons has been Sessegnon for £20m, and yet seemingly be in no trouble with FFP what so ever. Then we're hounded from all angles by the EFL and other clubs for the relatively small "crime" of revaluing our players...

and why do fans of other clubs seem to hate us as the big cheaters of the league but have no problem at all with clubs like Fulham?

13 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Fulham just highlight how broken football is. I don't understand FFP fully but how can they have spent £130m+ on their squad when their only meaningful sale in the past few seasons has been Sessegnon for £20m, and yet seemingly be in no trouble with FFP what so ever. Then we're hounded from all angles by the EFL and other clubs for the relatively small "crime" of revaluing our players...

and why do fans of other clubs seem to hate us as the big cheaters of the league but have no problem at all with clubs like Fulham?

Relegated clubs don't only benefit from a £50m+ head start over everyone else in the league, but they can also make bigger losses over the 3 year rolling period. For example, Fulham who got promoted and came down, can make £61m loss over the three year period, whereas we (and others) can only make £35m loss. Sheffield United can make an £83m loss over the last three years. 

However, it's clearly our amortisation policy that is giving us an advantage that's clearly making it difficult for the likes of Fulham to compete with us. 

Edited by Ambitious

15 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

You get more than £100 million in prize money, etc even if you finish bottom of the Prem. Then you get another £100 mill in parachute payments over 3 years unless you go back up in that time in which case you still get a bumper payday from the Prem. Fulham are a yoyo club and so keep getting massive payouts and are allowed to lose more money than the rest of us plebs. If anything i'd say their squad value is quite low really.

Fulham are operating entirely within the terrible laws of the game. We bent and twisted the rules to try and compete, but competition is banned by the EFL, so we were punished instead.

23 minutes ago, GenBr said:

You get more than £100 million in prize money, etc even if you finish bottom of the Prem. Then you get another £100 mill in parachute payments over 3 years unless you go back up in that time in which case you still get a bumper payday from the Prem. Fulham are a yoyo club and so keep getting massive payouts and are allowed to lose more money than the rest of us plebs. If anything i'd say their squad value is quite low really.

Fulham are operating entirely within the terrible laws of the game. We bent and twisted the rules to try and compete, but competition is banned by the EFL, so we were punished instead.

I think parachute payments are a really flawed system, and have said this many times. 

But this has just made me realise it’s even worse than I thought. What the league should be encouraging is a constant circulation of new clubs. If you weren’t good enough for the premier league, get back to the back of the queue, and wait your turn to try again, constantly encouraging new teams, new faces, new stories, new experiences for fans. 

I don’t pretend to understand the draft system in America, and so could be completely wrong in this, but doesn’t it go something like, whoever finished last gets the pick of the best players first. So you always get a constant rotation where next year the worst teams could potentially be the best teams. 

it would be amazing to see something like that, where teams are constantly bobbing up and down through the leagues. Where the lower down teams are given more of a leg up, so they can more easily catch up with the higher up teams.

Maybe the relegated clubs from the prem have to start in league 2 again, like rangers, and work their way up from there, so there’s a guaranteed 3 years that they won’t be back in the prem and other teams will get a go.

its a bit harsh, but imagine how big that makes the stakes of potentially going down. The higher the highs, the lower the lows. 

at the minute, you can just be a yo yo club, with a total lack of ambition and no real consequences. 

Edited by TigerTedd

50 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I think parachute payments are a really flawed system, and have said this many times. 

But this has just made me realise it’s even worse than I thought. What the league should be encouraging is a constant circulation of new clubs. If you weren’t good enough for the premier league, get back to the back of the queue, and wait your turn to try again, constantly encouraging new teams, new faces, new stories, new experiences for fans. 

I don’t pretend to understand the draft system in America, and so could be completely wrong in this, but doesn’t it go something like, whoever finished last gets the pick of the best players first. So you always get a constant rotation where next year the worst teams could potentially be the best teams. 

it would be amazing to see something like that, where teams are constantly bobbing up and down through the leagues. Where the lower down teams are given more of a leg up, so they can more easily catch up with the higher up teams.

Maybe the relegated clubs from the prem have to start in league 2 again, like rangers, and work their way up from there, so there’s a guaranteed 3 years that they won’t be back in the prem and other teams will get a go.

its a bit harsh, but imagine how big that makes the stakes of potentially going down. The higher the highs, the lower the lows. 

at the minute, you can just be a yo yo club, with a total lack of ambition and no real consequences. 

I think something like the draft system could possibly be good but I wouldn't want to reward failure, I'd like the success of clubs to be determined by how well it's run primarily. I think if they got relegated straight to League One it wouldn't be fair on the other League One teams.

The only way any of the problems could be solved would be if there was some kind of wage/transfer cap, and they were both reduced from where they are now, but because they've already let wages and transfer get so big, I don't see any way it could change. You'd also need all the other top leagues to join in. Because the gulf in money between the Championship and PL is so big, parachute payments are completely necessary because if a relegated team doesn't go back up within a few seasons, they'd collapse. One other thing which I think NFL teams do (but I'm not sure) is every team has the same wage cap, but it's up to each team which players get which percentage, so you could have one player on £100k and five others on £10k, this would be good.

But I honestly think the whole football pyramid would have to collapse before any sort of change happens.

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

One of the worst things is, it almost encourages the non-parachute clubs to cheat if they want any chance of promotion.