The Championship 21/22

Day

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

Sounds ok to me will Middlesbrough sue the league 

Steve Gibson is going through close contract tracing now to find any possible link where his players have been in contact with someone from Derby. 

Further points deduction request has already been penned, just awaiting confirmation from the investigation.

7 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

They just be rubbish, they’re below Forest. 

Speaking of, how do forest keep selling their kids for megabucks?!

So I’ve got a mate who had a bit of knowledge about the youth system as he was an academy player at forest and had a couple of other links there which I won’t get into but they aren’t anything exciting. Anyway we got talking about this last year in why Derby players went for a lower amount than Forest’s so I have some insight. I will add he’s not actually a forest fan, but he has some affiliation so I’m gonna try and give a rounded overview rather than copying and pasting the WhatsApp conversation, which would be somewhat easier.

From what he said, Forest are very very good at developing ‘fully rounded’ players (leave your Andy Reid jokes here). By fully rounded, I mean players who are good/very good at just about everything rather than excelling at a few things and being poor in other areas. Essentially cutting your weaknesses to a minimum. He went into some detail about the drills and the training sessions he had with the 1st team to help develop this. Here I think he was right, in that the players we wanted to go for big money have been excellent in one area of the game but weak in others. I know we can look into who’s having a better career, but there’s a reason why Hendrick was the only one who went for a lot more money than Hughes. And we’ve probably created more Hughes’ than Hendrick’s before the category 1 status came in. 

There’s also that Forest have a good reputation to bring academy players through. This has taken a long time to develop that. The young players coming through Derby right now are the ones who have had a very long time in Derby’s academy whilst it’s been cat 1 and it’s shows. They look better all round players, more comfortable with the idea of first team football and read the game so much better than those previous generations. So these might be the first crop that we see go for a more decent wedge. It still might take time but I do think there are more positive signs that we are heading that way.

To add to that, I also think Forest’s academy is very ruthless and coy. They have a large academy and make significant cuts to it, I think when you look at an academy team at one age group, only one of those players really becomes a first team player. I think by doing that, they are saying ‘here’s the next one off the line, give us £x amount’ and clubs will be interested because that system has produced international standard players, it’s just a lot of others who are probably good enough don’t get a look in. It’s ruthless, and with some of those fees they’ve been lucky, but it’s worked for them for 20 years now and they are consistent with it.

There’s other stuff I could go into but I think that’s enough for the night. Basically it takes years, a few slices of luck and a very very consistent programme.

46 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

There’s other stuff I could go into but I think that’s enough for the night. Basically it takes years, a few slices of luck and a very very consistent programme.

I wonder whether it's more to do with being seen as a 'soft touch'? When we sold Seth Johnson to L**ds how we laughed! But that is such a rarity. Tell me as I don't know who are these successful young R*d Dogs. How much of it is them being better at the actual business of selling?

48 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I wonder whether it's more to do with being seen as a 'soft touch'? When we sold Seth Johnson to L**ds how we laughed! But that is such a rarity. Tell me as I don't know who are these successful young R*d Dogs. How much of it is them being better at the actual business of selling?

Dawson and Jenas were the two successful ones that they could really build a reputation on. It’s been a long time since then and the rest since haven’t had ‘great’ careers but they’ve sold a few to mid/bottom prem clubs at top value who might fancy a knock off version of a player (if you can’t sign Trippier how about Matty Cash?)

Not sure I’d go with soft touch, just bad/unfortunate with business over a similar time period. Could we have sold Hughes at a time he was worth more? Did we get Barnes’ value? Huddlestone came through at such a dodgy time we should him for more than half his actual value. Forest got very good deals for Dawson and Jenas at a similar time and it gave them a chance to live on that reputation.

Itll be interesting with the likes of Thompson, Ebosele, Plange if we start getting better valuations (if admin doesn’t completely ruin that), they are going to be the first ones who will have a value associated with a cat 1 academy (possibly Knight but depends if he’s with us still at the end of Jan)