Lee Buchanan - Gone to Werder Bremen

Sean

I hope Buchanan, along with a couple others, do get the opportunity to move on in the summer and we don't play hardball with their futures. Sibley, Knight and Bird too. 

Until this club starts running itself the right way, I think it would be amiss of me as a supporter to want our talented young players to stick around and be subject to such ineptitude where it leaves a lasting scar on their development. 

29 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I hope Buchanan, along with a couple others, do get the opportunity to move on in the summer and we don't play hardball with their futures. Sibley, Knight and Bird too. 

Until this club starts running itself the right way, I think it would be amiss of me as a supporter to want our talented young players to stick around and be subject to such ineptitude where it leaves a lasting scar on their development. 

Completely agree. Players like Knight and Bird are regressing due to the state of the club at the moment. Don't want to see them waste their careers being muscled off the ball in League One.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Sad but true.

The last game with fans at pp last season when we beat Blackburn and sibley scored his debut cracker, I had so much optimism for a midfield containing Bird, Knight and Sibley. It's gutting to see how they've all gone backwards since then.

There must be a manager capable of mixing talented youngsters like that with the right blend of experienced players. No idea who to suggest though. Wouldn't say no to trying to pinch Hasslebaink if we went down.

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Derby fans:

"We need to give our young players an opportunity to move on..."

Also Derby fans:

"FFS! We sold him for peanuts!!"

5 hours ago, Sparkle said:

If we sell the youngsters we really are in trouble in terms of a promising team 

Really? There's another good left fullbacks emerging so we should actively try to sell Buchanan.

Think I pretty much always say this about our better youngsters, but unless we are offered top market value, I'd rather keep Lee. Archie Brown does look a talent but Lee had had his baptism of fire this year and I'd be saddened to see another really good academy prospect leave before we reap any real benefit. That said, lose on Saturday and we'll be seeing a fire sale, the likes of which we've not seen in a fair old while. Sorry to say it, but that's inevitable.

For me, if we do get relegated tomorrow, I think we should stick with the youngsters and let go of the high earners (reported relegation clauses in their contracts should help shift deadwood I hope). A season (hopefully max) at League 1 should help the likes of Buchanan, Knight, Bird and Sibley to add some strength to their game and we should have enough about us to be at the right end of the table.

Dream scenario (if we go down): The youngsters in the squad, that we know have talent, stay on and get a full season of winning football and confidence back in their games, preferably under a coaching team that will allow them to grow. And when we're back in the Championship we'd carry on that confidence and be at the top half of the table again, with our own products.

Of course, I'd rather we stay up because going down has too many variables and most of them are bad.