Twinkle Toes Roberts

Day

I was going to post this after the Blackburn game, but the meltdown was too intense for it.

Patrick Roberts, what lovely feet he has, yes he’s not without fault, could release the ball a lot earlier and work on his finishing but I firmly believe he could be one hell of a player in this league.

A little surprised we haven’t seen more of him in a Derby shirt since arriving on loan, but for me he and Lawrence are our 2 biggest attacking threats and I hope he starts again tonight.

I was an advocate for signing him on loan back when he went to Celtic, would love to see him back in a Derby shirt for a full season.

I’m not blind to the seriousness of the relegation threat and we would have no chance if the worst was to happen, but just wanted to throw some positive thoughts out there.

Part of him not releasing the ball early enough is that he is trying to set himself up for a shot - he is a striker, after all! But he us so one-footed that he has to get the ball onto his good foot, which limits his chances against packed defences of efl teams.

4 minutes ago, David said:

I was going to post this after the Blackburn game, but the meltdown was too intense for it.

Patrick Roberts, what lovely feet he has, yes he’s not without fault, could release the ball a lot earlier and work on his finishing but I firmly believe he could be one hell of a player in this league.

A little surprised we haven’t seen more of him in a Derby shirt since arriving on loan, but for me he and Lawrence are our 2 biggest attacking threats and I hope he starts again tonight.

I was an advocate for signing him on loan back when he went to Celtic, would love to see him back in a Derby shirt for a full season.

I’m not blind to the seriousness of the relegation threat and we would have no chance if the worst was to happen, but just wanted to throw some positive thoughts out there.

Said the same the other day

Roberts is a quality little player, imagine how he would do in a confident, attacking team. Put it this way, he is a big upgrade on Holmes. For someone who is so one footed he still manages to beat multiple players. As always with players at this level it is the end product but he certainly has the ability and I would love to see him with us again next season if we stay up.

I was just just about ask on another thread if I was the only person who would like us to sign him again if we stay up?

I always thought he looked good even when he first arrived and people were calling him too "light weight" etc, We just need to somehow create space for him higher up the pitch and give him less defensive duties. I agree in the right circumstances he'd be a top player in this league, not sure if a Rooney style team would be right for him though. If I was him would I want to come back here? probably not. 

In common with Jozwiak, he creates openings with his close control but he isn’t the guy to then smash it in the net. 
He needs finishers close to him and we just don’t have them, especially now Gregory is out. He has the skill to set up loads of goals, but we don’t have the personnel to capitalise.

He’s a player Lawrence needs to support.

1 hour ago, David said:

He's an exciting player no doubt; part of his effectiveness is that nobody can "read" what he will do next...and that's part of th e problem because I don't think he knows what he'll do next either. Last week V Blackburn he beat 4 players from out wide and just as he was about to pull the trigger when he reached the penalty-spot he suddenly ran out of steam. It just need Sibley or Lawrence to "read" the situation and do the requisite run to be tee'd up...

I'd play him tonight certainly. Hopefully, in training somebody has had the where-with-all to link up with him and say, just play it in and I'll be waiting. Roberts is a creator...he can beat men (OH May-tron!) but lacks penetration (StOP it!) and he needs to feed CKR/Lawrence.

Honestly, with Lawrence, Jozwiak and Roberts you'd think we'd be scoring goals like nobody's business...

he may have twinkle toes but like our other attacking players little to show for it in goals/assists and often runs into an obvious dead end taking too many on when someone trying to link up down the wing. Not saying I dont like him, I do, and we would probably see different outcomes with better players around him, but the Championship Messi????? As someone said lets see tonight. (Really hoping he makes me look daft later as we so need goals)

49 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

The Championship version of Messi with the way he glides past players. Just hope he can produce some magic and goals that can get us out of the mess we're in. 

He certainly had one jinking run against Blackburn where he looked remarkably like Messi (accepting he was playing against Blackburn and not Barca)

He’s flattered to deceive for me so far. He’s clearly got potential to be a top player at this level, you can see that in the way he carries the ball forward into dangerous positions. But his general play lacks too much for me - he doesn’t track back anywhere near well enough, and someone as short as him isn’t exactly suited to our hoof ball style either. He’s not at the same level as Lawrence yet for me, in terms of showing his technical ability whilst still working hard all over the pitch. Not one I’d be looking to bring back once his loan expires as things stand. 

Obviously I’d have him starting tonight though, we don’t really have any other options better than him.