Roos

IslandExile

On 05/05/2021 at 21:25, Jubbs said:

Well done, you've managed to convince me you aren't watching games. 

Firstly, I barely hear Marshall at all. He doesn't even take the huddles before the game, CKR does. Hamer came in because our fans were abusing Roos everytime he did anything. Punch a hard cross? Boo. Catch the ball? Ironic cheers. 

Roos has improved on his crossing since he was dropped last season, he bulked up and doesn't get bullied in crosses anymore. Barnsley away he was superb. 

If you knew anything about goalkeeping, you would know the throw-ins for Birmingham were incredibly hard for keepers. They are in the perfect spot between defenders and keeper. If Roos/Marshall came out for the cross, they would likely not get it and be out of their goal. But they're slightly too high for the defenders to get.

Still happy with Roos in goal?

27 minutes ago, StapenhillRam said:

If Roos plays in goal for Derby County again it will be an indication of the lack of ambition within the club.

Do you have anyone in mind mate?

Edited by Boycie
How about Westwood?

• 2 months later...

Deserves way more credit than he gets. Look at the comments on the starting line-up.

"I don’t think I’d be able to stand a season with Roos as number 1"

"Cant do another season with Stevie ******* wonder in goal ffs"

"Oh no! Why is roos No1 is he ******* blind"

"Roos why? He’s dog ****"

Great shotstopper and good passer. His commanding and catching crosses could do with some work (although Roos had 3rd most aerial duels won p90 last season, Marshall was incredibly low), but can anyone name a championship keeper with all 4 traits at a high quality? No, you can't, because there's none. It's not like Marshall is incredibly commanding and catches every cross either, fans are just programmed to hate Roos after 1 massive mistake. Fans are always like there's a mistake coming. He hasn't made a mistake that's directly led to goal since Wembley.

image.png

Edited by Jubbs
Wording

1 minute ago, Jubbs said:

Deserves way more credit than he gets. Look at the comments on the starting line-up.

"I don’t think I’d be able to stand a season with Roos as number 1"

"Cant do another season with Stevie ******* wonder in goal ffs"

"Oh no! Why is roos No1 is he ******* blind"

"Roos why? He’s dog ****"

Great shotstopper and good passer. His commanding and catching crosses could do with some work (although Roos had 3rd most aerial duels won p90 last season, Marshall was incredibly low), but can anyone name a championship keeper with all 4 traits at a high quality? No, you can't, because there's none. It's not like Marshall is incredibly commanding and catches every cross either, fans are just programmed to hate him after 1 massive mistake. Fans are always like there's a mistake coming. He hasn't made a mistake that's directly led to goal since Wembley.

image.png

Constantly working to improve his game, a great professional. 

People talking on other threads about being embarrassed by Derby County, I'm embarrassed when our manager has to bring a player off early to get him a bit of applause and confidence because of the way our fans have treated him in the past. As the stats have always backed up he is nowhere near as poor a goalkeeper as some fans state. These are opinions based on odd incidents, not an overall view of performances throughout a match. 

For me, in the system we are now playing, his handling and quick, accurate distribution are key. He gets the game moving again far quicker than our other keeper.  

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

People talking on other threads about being embarrassed by Derby County, I'm embarrassed when our manager has to bring a player off early to get him a bit of applause and confidence because of the way our fans have treated him in the past. As the stats have always backed up he is nowhere near as poor a goalkeeper as some fans state. These are opinions based on odd incidents, not an overall view of performances throughout a match. 

For me, in the system we are now playing, his handling and quick, accurate distribution are key. He gets the game moving again far quicker than our other keeper.  

As this forum proves if you give a pontificator a megaphone you more than likely have to suffer the consequences. 

Just now, angieram said:

Keogh took a season to regain his confidence due to the abuse following Wembley.

David summed it up perfectly in 2019

On 28/10/2019 at 07:51, David said:

Roos made a mistake at Wembley, Keogh will tell you how hard it is to move on from that.

Any further mistakes will not be tolerated.

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

If we get last night’s version of Roos this season, we have nothing to fear. He was excellent.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

I know, You have constantly posted this stuff in support of Roos, but people have ignored it because it doesn't fit their agenda. 

Some of us appreciate it though.

Still a little worried about his aerial handling, but I thought he looked a more confident keeper end of last season and coming into this one. I won't be worried if he takes the No1 shirt this season though.

Thing is, I know loads of regular home and away match-goers and they all rate Roos. I don't know anyone who isn't a fan (unlike say Martin, whereas opinion was divided.)

I do wonder about the IQ of some of our more vocal supporters. There was one just behind me in the West Stand last night and he was making such a nuisance of himself he hardly watched the game. But I bet he's got very strong opinions on everyone who played. 

When CKR's shot hit Jozwiak's back he yelled "You Polish c***" at the top of his voice in a stand full of families. There's no way Joz wouldn't have heard that. As I say, embarrassing.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Still a little worried about his aerial handling, but I thought he looked a more confident keeper end of last season and coming into this one. I won't be worried if he takes the No1 shirt this season though.

As others have said, you won't get the perfect all-round keeper in the Championship. I think Roos is definitely one of the better ones. He has far more pluses than minuses.

Roos has become a good Championship keeper, who still has weaknesses to his game. Ultimately, though, he was the reason we got into the play-offs under Lampard. The performance away at Bristol City, which proved vital, was one of the best I've seen from a goalkeeper at Derby in 30 years. If we don't win that, we don't get in the play-offs. He then went on to make the mistake at Wembley, but we were outmatched by a better team. No grievances from me. 

I'd be ok with either Marshall or Roos in goal. I like Marshall more, in all honesty, but Roos is a decent enough keeper. Marshall is a decent enough keeper. Both will make mistakes. Roos' weaknesses are more glaring, but ultimately he's a fantastic shot stopper and has been for a while now. All this being said: we are only one mistake from labelling him the worst keeper in the world. It's an unfair standard set upon him. 

I’d have Roos as our first choice this season.

He’s a much better keeper than Derby fans give him credit for and has all the attributes to play in a modern day style.  However he strikes me as a confidence player, so we need to back him if he makes a mistake, rather than ironically cheer every time he catches the ball.