The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Do you mean “agree, not all”?

I agree now about the “all in it together” comment not being particularly valid but, not to a great extent, in terms of age.

Also, do the older generation “owe” the younger generations? It’s not as if the older generations have inflicted the virus on younger people and, in terms of freedom, are not benefiting at the expense of others.

The young will be impacted far more by the policies and decisions that have been imposed?‍♂️

Sith Happens

Its difficult to say who is affected more, the younger generation are more tech savvy so keeping in touch with friends will have been easy. Older people who havent seen family or grandkids etc for months will definately be suffering.

I dont think there is a one size fits all for any generation.

Sith Happens

The journalists ask some stupid questions at the briefings.

Its been said numerous times including tonight that the targets for vaccination will be met, so the woman from ITV asks with her question how we can say we are on track with the roadmap when one of the four things that have to pass is being on target for vaccinations.

Erm because we are on target. 

Makes you wonder how they get employment sometimes. 

10 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I've calculated my walk to the match (remember that!) at 3.8mph (1.9 miles in 30 minutes).

However, when we don our walking boots and rucksacks, get out in the fields and take in the fresher air and greener scenery, I suspect (Ignoring picnics and generally taking in the views) a 6 mile hike takes us a good 2hrs to 2hrs 20mins.So 3mph to 2.6mph.

I doubt I've ever even seen anyone walking at 4mph+... isn't that called jogging!  ?

I’m in earnest mode, so forgive me !  .. I just know that from crusty times past .. “normal brisk walking pace” was defined by whoever was the sage of the day as ... 3 MPH .. so anything over that in my retentive world is doing more than walking .. wasn’t there a health guru thing that christened it “power walking” in the 1980’s ? 

we need to specify the process, here’s my shot at it ..?

Walking . Not less than 3 MPH

Strolling 2-3 MPH

Ambling .. 2-3 MPH with bits of 3 MPH interspersed with occasional  periods of 1.5/2.0 while you day dream. 

Trudging ..1.5/2.0 MPH .. directionally and goal focussed

Meandering .. like trudging but without discernible purpose

Slogging .. 2.5 MPH .. when your knackered and it’s raining but you’re putting some effort in 

9 minutes ago, jono said:

I’m in earnest mode, so forgive me !  .. I just know that from crusty times past .. “normal brisk walking pace” was defined by whoever was the sage of the day as ... 3 MPH .. so anything over that in my retentive world is doing more than walking .. wasn’t there a health guru thing that christened it “power walking” in the 1980’s ? 

we need to specify the process, here’s my shot at it ..?

Walking . Not less than 3 MPH

Strolling 2-3 MPH

Ambling .. 2-3 MPH with bits of 3 MPH interspersed with occasional  periods of 1.5/2.0 while you day dream. 

Trudging ..1.5/2.0 MPH .. directionally and goal focussed

Meandering .. like trudging but without discernible purpose

Slogging .. 2.5 MPH .. when your knackered and it’s raining but you’re putting some effort in 

Ah!... But!...

If you're slogging up a very steep hill, won't that automatically become trudging, just by the very fact that it's a steep hill, and that you are already knackered?

And where the hell is "Getting a wriggle on" in your list?  Muckerette is a firm advocate of me "getting a wriggle on"!  (Probably an Ilson thing!)   ?

1 hour ago, Anon said:

The amount of money borrowed by the government to keep the UK in lockdown is staggering. The national debt is now over 2 trillion pounds and well over 100% GDP. The much criticised austerity of the previous decade merely served to slow the growth of national debt keep it at around 80% GDP. The ramifications of the decision to lock down the economy will be felt for decades.

No doubt true but many of those in the 50's and 60's have a decade or so in front of them to also live through the pain and, as I said, it's not as if the older have generation have inflicted the virus on the younger people so I don't quite see how they "owe" them.

17 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

No doubt true but many of those in the 50's and 60's have a decade or so in front of them to also live through the pain and, as I said, it's not as if the older have generation have inflicted the virus on the younger people so I don't quite see how they "owe" them.

Exactly .. I think it is a case of poo happens and we all live with the results .. the young longer than the old, for sure. But that is hardly something anyone should be in another’s debt for. The old didn’t create Covid and the young throw themselves in front of a virus to protect everyone over 40. No segment got benefit from the other. Everyone just loved their lives with the circumstances that the game or life threw at them. One could talk about generational debt forever .. The 1st war trench generation of youth what debt was that ? 

2 hours ago, Anon said:

The amount of money borrowed by the government to keep the UK in lockdown is staggering. The national debt is now over 2 trillion pounds and well over 100% GDP. The much criticised austerity of the previous decade merely served to slow the growth of national debt keep it at around 80% GDP. The ramifications of the decision to lock down the economy will be felt for decades.

And the ramifications of not shutting down the economy would have destroyed the health service and the industries that are necessary to heat, light, feed and dispose of our waste and police the streets. . That would have lingered far more than a numeric figure on a national debt. People would be dead on a scale beyond a 1 year 15% blip in the year on year average. 
The effect of debt is also diminished in any case, because debt of this kind is relative -  if every other country has the same problem you are no poorer than anyone else. You can’t spend spend spend if no one else because you end up being perceived as dodgy relative to your neighbours .. not the case this time round 

7 hours ago, Archied said:

Disagree, yep not all , but I hold to the generalisation being far more reflective than the we are all in it together generalisation ?‍♂️

I am not that fond of generalisations unless they are backed up by supporting statistics. You used to be fond of posting graphs (although sometimes the source of said graphs could be described as "debatable at best") - do you have one to back up your latest attempt to tar everyone over a certain age with the same brush?

11 hours ago, angieram said:

This is spot on. We can all work out from our own experiences that the rollout is way ahead of the Government's targets, presumably so we can ride any blips in the supply chain like this India one.

But the media want to use it as yet another 'story' to create a stir. They really do irritate me at times. It's not even political, as they do it with all parties, it's just this insatiable appetite for sensationalism and an inflated opinion of their own importance in the world!

Yes Angie. There seems to be a premeditated desire to sow dissension and discord. It is my firm belief that whoever had been in charge would have faced the same pitfalls, scandals, cowboys, opportunists, snags, bumps and what not. Why on earth do the media have this slavering desire to find these negative stories rather than the ones that show the up side ? 
It should be none political in a situation like this, yep maybe we should have locked down a fortnight earlier but on the other side we got the procurement right, the distribution right and while there were the awkward squad having demos and celebrations about this that or the other, a huge and overwhelming portion of us played the game and within sensible  limits tried to stick to the very necessary rules. Slowly but surely day on day the situation is improving. We all want and need it faster but I bet everyone of us with a practical mind on this forum, in the govt and in science knows we have do it in a deliberate fashion. The media on the other hand in many cases and on every side of the political spectrum has been vulgar, ignorant, destructive  and divisive. I really despise the programme editors and newspaper owners .. they sicken me. They aren’t perveyors of truth or information which should be stories in themselves. Too many are scandal rags of the lowest order.

rant over ?? 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I am not that fond of generalisations unless they are backed up by supporting statistics. You used to be fond of posting graphs (although sometimes the source of said graphs could be described as "debatable at best") - do you have one to back up your latest attempt to tar everyone over a certain age with the same brush?

Really?????, I’ve NEVER posted a graph anywhere let alone on here , think you may be a bit muddled ??‍♂️, you may want to rethink who is using the same brush to tar, I’m not young either ,just able to see beyond my own bubble

Edited by Archied

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

As a side note you can trawl for days to find said graphs I’m fond of posting from debatable sources or just a quick admission of being wrong would save you the bother ,I’m with you on the intentional ignorance thing?

15 hours ago, angieram said:

This is spot on. We can all work out from our own experiences that the rollout is way ahead of the Government's targets, presumably so we can ride any blips in the supply chain like this India one.

But the media want to use it as yet another 'story' to create a stir. They really do irritate me at times. It's not even political, as they do it with all parties, it's just this insatiable appetite for sensationalism and an inflated opinion of their own importance in the world!

A thousand times this. I think it's the result of having a 24/7 news media. They think people get bored because they have to listen to news headlines every half hour throughout the day, so they're desperate for a new story and they're really desperate to be first with it and get their scoop, and it's so damaging to society. There are loads of times when they could actually spin a good news story, but without fail they look for the negative in everything. I always used to be a news junkie, but when Covid started getting bad I stopped watching the news more than twice a day and life has been much the better for it. 

4 hours ago, Archied said:

As a side note you can trawl for days to find said graphs I’m fond of posting from debatable sources or just a quick admission of being wrong would save you the bother ,I’m with you on the intentional ignorance thing?

My apologies - it's @TexasRam who posts the bogus graphical tripe. Seeing as you usually agree on everything, it was an easy mistake to make.

2 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Nice to see the dictatorship of the EU countries have resumed their roll out of the AZ vaccine now we have let them have some of our vaccines.

Our government is spineless giving in to them.

Isn't the AZ vaccine also manufactured in Nederland and Germany?

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

My apologies - it's @TexasRam who posts the bogus graphical tripe. Seeing as you usually agree on everything, it was an easy mistake to make.

Seeing as your point was not being fond of generalisation s it seems your ok use them yourself?, apologies accepted though worth noting where the kind of posts that make the thread start to degenerate to unpleasant and unmanageable for mods begin??‍♂️

Edited by Archied