The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

Sith Happens
26 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Jus been keeping updated with the Oxford Astrazenica vaccine and the numbers of vaccines rolled out is something like 17 million I think there have been 22 cases of reported thrombosis out of the 17m. My understanding is these vaccines are first rolled out to the old and people with underlying health problems. Surely these people would be more likely to suffer this kind of  illness rather than the fit and well under 50’s. It may be worth monitoring but I get the feeling some countries are looking for things that aren’t there.

I could be wrong it’s early days yet but it wouldn’t put me off. I think I’d rather go British.

They have said the incident rate in those vaccinated is lower than you might expect in the non vaccinated process.

I sort of get the caution but it seems a bit of an over-reaction.

Wonder if they would do the same if it was Pfizer? There does seem an effort throughout europe to discredit the AZ vaccine for some reason.

Its also going to do further damage to confidence in the EU.

Edited by Sith Happens

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Anyone know why it is that I can book a vaccine appointment on Swiftqueue but NHS says I've got to wait to be invited?

how old are you?

20 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

how old are you?

48. According to Swiftqueue, I can book an appointment for "Nottingham over 40's" at Newark Showground but the NHS site is insistant that you need to wait to be invited.

I just wondered how the 2 things are contradictory.

Tried to book an appt but it has now crashed. I'll look again later.

43 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

There does seem an effort throughout europe to discredit the AZ vaccine for some reason.

I've seen some people suggest that it's part of the big pharma wars. AZ rollouts are way ahead of the others

Not saying its true, but I did ponder back in January as to how nicely all these "evil" big pharma companies seemed to be playing!

52 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

48. According to Swiftqueue, I can book an appointment for "Nottingham over 40's" at Newark Showground but the NHS site is insistant that you need to wait to be invited.

I just wondered how the 2 things are contradictory.

Tried to book an appt but it has now crashed. I'll look again later.

It's OK. I was concerned about jumping the queue but our MP (Robert Jenrick) has now posted that Nottinghamshire over 40's are now able to book appointments.

I wouldn't worry about jumping the queue, it won't let you book if you aren't qualified to have it. As other posters have said, there really does seem to have been a number of efforts to discredit the AZ vaccine. Could it be because its so relatively cheap? There was also a lot of silly politics as well i.e. Macron's idiotic comments  

Really good article here on the trials for Covid vaccinations and how the current concerns don't really have any numerical justification.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/15/evidence-oxford-vaccine-blood-clots-data-causal-links

Ps the guy writing it is not a journo. I've heard him on More or Less loads and always talks sense.

Edited by ariotofmyown

Sith Happens

Germany, Italy and France have now suspended the AZ vaccine.

Macron on being told the news:

tenor.gif

Seriously though it seems a total over reaction.

2 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

tenor.gif

I've just read a report that basically states there's nothing in the vacine that would cause blood clots and in any case the total number of cases is so small as to be insignificant statistically when looking at the side effects of a mass immunisation programme.

In addition, it was pointed out than when dealing with a pandemic, pausing immuniation due to side effects without a clear link (or reducing immunisation rates as several of our EU friends have done) can actually be worse than sticking with the programme as more folk will now die from Covid in those countries.... 

8 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

tenor.gif

The issue is Norway had cases with blood clots, bleeding and low platelet counts. All together are rare I believe, blood clots are there own are lower than the reported figures and Pfizer has a higher return on them.

I suppose you have to follow protocol, if it turns out they are linked and you get more cases then you are in the poop.

Can these countries afford a delay though, if it comes back that they aren't linked that's more weeks wasted. Are the deaths going to higher from COVID if they pause the programme against those who get a blood clot ? 

A difficult one to call.

16 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Better be nothing more than an over reaction. I’ve had the AZ vaccine today.

I've got mine Wednesday morning. 

Ironically, I've been offered one early due to a pre existing condition, a blood clotting disorder!

At least I'll know what to look out for.

Sith Happens
18 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

By my calculation 1 in 500,000 have suffered a blood clot. I think it is less than people who haven’t had the vaccine and have had a blood clot.

That's what has been said. 

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, BIllyD said:

The issue is Norway had cases with blood clots, bleeding and low platelet counts. All together are rare I believe, blood clots are there own are lower than the reported figures and Pfizer has a higher return on them.

I suppose you have to follow protocol, if it turns out they are linked and you get more cases then you are in the poop.

Can these countries afford a delay though, if it comes back that they aren't linked that's more weeks wasted. Are the deaths going to higher from COVID if they pause the programme against those who get a blood clot ? 

A difficult one to call.

I'd be less sceptical about their motives had there not been an effort to discredit the AZ vaccine

Maybe i am cynical but it's an ideal opportunity for them to get some validation from their public criticism of the vaccine.

Whatever the reason, justified or not  having damaged the public opinion of the vaccine this certainly wont help rebuild confidence. 

Sith Happens

I just struggle to accept it's not political,  at least in Germany,  France and Italy. 

I assume italy will now allow those supplies they blocked to be released,  if they don't want them others may aswell. 

6 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

I just struggle to accept it's not political,  at least in Germany,  France and Italy. 

I assume italy will now allow those supplies they blocked to be released,  if they don't want them others may aswell. 

It's ridiculous .  Give people the option- if they want it let them have it.  Italy had a horrendous problem with covid a year ago and have only just started to administer this any way.  There take up must be horrifically low. 

More chances of a blood clot or problem with blood pressure taking most over the counter painkillers.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

It's ridiculous .  Give people the option- if they want it let them have it.  Italy had a horrendous problem with covid a year ago and have only just started to administer this any way.  There take up must be horrifically low. 

More chances of a blood clot or problem with blood pressure taking most over the counter painkillers.

Makes it worse that their drug regulator has told them to continue administering it.