The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

48 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

From the BBC news feed:

Véronique Trillet-Lenoir, who is a French oncologist and an MEP, is asked by BBC News why the AstraZeneca vaccine is coming under more scrutiny than other authorised vaccines such as the Pfizer vaccine.

"We have maybe a specific regard on AstraZeneca. As you know, the firm did probably not fulfil all the commitments [it] made in the contracts with the EU. The vaccine is not that effective on the South African variant, so there are some warnings on these vaccines, which probably led the governments to be even more cautious on it."

On the suggestion that the decision might be seen as a political move, she says that as a medical doctor, she tries to "stick to the scientific evidence" and hopes the suspension will be lifted if the vaccine is shown to be safe for specific populations.

So admit that they are targetting it because of the fall out over supplies, then say oh its not political....

Ive not read a great deal about it but it seems from the little I have, that the EU and EMA are recommending the vaccine and saying its safe but individual countries within the EU (as well as others not in the EU), are making their own sovereign decisions to temporarily halt this particular brand.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Before we blame EU politics for everything... 

FB_IMG_1615913060971.jpg

Not sure I understand where you are coming from on that one. The countries highlighted have suspended on the back of information generated from the EU I believe ? Thailand for example have now decided to start uk again having received further information.

I originally thought that the decision taken was based upon medical information and possibly could see where they were coming from, the more I read and given the backing my major players to continue I am starting to believe this is a political call.

Seems maybe I'm not the only one....

The Polish Prime Minister's Chief of Staff briefing; accuses other countries of giving in to "disinformation":

“Most countries that have temporarily suspended (AstraZeneca) vaccinations have given in to panic caused by media-fuelled information about alleged complications”

“In my opinion, it is possible that we are dealing with a planned disinformation campaign and a brutal fight by medical companies, possibly supported by the countries in which these companies are registered”

He added: “I am convinced that many of them will soon return to vaccinations using AstraZeneca.”

Said that any decisions made by the Polish government would be “guided solely by hard data” and the recommendations of scientists and doctors.

1 hour ago, BIllyD said:

Not sure I understand where you are coming from on that one. The countries highlighted have suspended on the back of information generated from the EU I believe ? Thailand for example have now decided to start uk again having received further information.

I originally thought that the decision taken was based upon medical information and possibly could see where they were coming from, the more I read and given the backing my major players to continue I am starting to believe this is a political call.

Seems maybe I'm not the only one....

The Polish Prime Minister's Chief of Staff briefing; accuses other countries of giving in to "disinformation":

“Most countries that have temporarily suspended (AstraZeneca) vaccinations have given in to panic caused by media-fuelled information about alleged complications”

“In my opinion, it is possible that we are dealing with a planned disinformation campaign and a brutal fight by medical companies, possibly supported by the countries in which these companies are registered”

He added: “I am convinced that many of them will soon return to vaccinations using AstraZeneca.”

Said that any decisions made by the Polish government would be “guided solely by hard data” and the recommendations of scientists and doctors.

Ah, so you're suggesting that the EU made up the data? 

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

Don't think I have suggested anything of the sort have I ? 

Why has only the AZ been "paused" and yet the other vaccine has just as many blood clot cases ? Also who was it that said the AZ vaccine wasn't good enough for over 65s and how did that work out ?

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Considering they are ignoring the advice of their own medical regulators,  it would seem so.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Comome on Paul, justify that laugh emoji. Why have those Asian countries decided to play EU politics? 

Based upon the information given from the EU countries, of which for example Thailand have now decided to resume.

Now are you going to answer why these EU countries have suspended one vaccine and not the other even though the blood clots reported are roughly the same from both programmes?

11 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Based upon the information given from the EU countries, of which for example Thailand have now decided to resume.

Now are you going to answer why these EU countries have suspended one vaccine and not the other even though the blood clots reported are roughly the same from both programmes?

No, as that's not what I was talking about. I said its not solely down to EU politics. Because it isn't. 

Just now, GboroRam said:

No, as that's not what I was talking about. I said its not solely down to EU politics. Because it isn't. 

in what way isn't it ? These other countries you quote haven't had the same message given to them about the other vaccine, which is why they suspended their programmes, based on a message from the EU, that they have concerns around the AZ vaccine.

10 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

in what way isn't it ? These other countries you quote haven't had the same message given to them about the other vaccine, which is why they suspended their programmes, based on a message from the EU, that they have concerns around the AZ vaccine.

Hasn't that message been from individual countries in the EU, rather than from the EU itself?

6 minutes ago, Rev said:

Hasn't that message been from individual countries in the EU, rather than from the EU itself?

Yes apologies, EU politics though as these are the major players that form the spine of the EU.