The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

4 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Potential vaccine shortage, so all the young who protected the Elderly and vulnerable look like their jabs may be delayed.
Does this mean they will have to continued to be locked up (vaccine passports for holidays, pub entry, football stadium etc etc) while those who have had it will get their freedom back. 
I think that’s be a bit unfair to be honest. We owe the young of this country a huge debt for their sacrifice once this is over. 

Can’t agree .. The young are not falling by the wayside in numbers and never have. Everyone has sacrificed something in their different ways. The Young’s sacrifice is no greater or smaller than anyone elses. We are all in it together. Splitting or dividing us in to groups beyond simple physical vulnerability is divisive and helps no one 

10 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Also, what would be fairer do you think? Stop vaccinations altogether until there’s enough to go round? Prioritise those at lower risk?

Not at all, let’s just not stop the plan to open up and certainly not restrict those who haven’t yet been vaccinated in enjoying their freedoms. 

8 hours ago, jono said:

Can’t agree .. The young are not falling by the wayside in numbers and never have. Everyone has sacrificed something in their different ways. The Young’s sacrifice is no greater or smaller than anyone elses. We are all in it together. Splitting or dividing us in to groups beyond simple physical vulnerability is divisive and helps no one 

Disagree, I think the young (<40)have sacrificed far more (ps I’m not young). Things we have taken totally for granted growing up they haven’t been able to do. They have had to sacrifice so much for something that probably won’t really effect them detrimentally. It’s not divisive at all, I just think we owe the younger generation so much following this. 

3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Not at all, let’s just not stop the plan to open up and certainly not restrict those who haven’t yet been vaccinated in enjoying their freedoms. 

Has there been any change to the plan as a result of potential shortage of vaccines? Also, it’s not as if they’re allowing those that have had the jab back into the wild whilst keeping the young locked up. I know there is talk of vaccine passports but, I don’t think that is imminent and they’re still hoping to offer the jab to all adults by the end of July aren’t they?

As @jonosays, we’re all in this together and there have been sacrifices made in all age groups.

2 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Disagree, I think the young (<40)have sacrificed far more (ps I’m not young). Things we have taken totally for granted growing up they haven’t been able to do. They have had to sacrifice so much for something that probably won’t really effect them detrimentally. It’s not divisive at all, I just think we owe the younger generation so much following this. 

Just out of interest, how do you think the under 40’s have sacrificed far more than the over 40’s? Genuine question.

OK, they’ve had a year or so of restricted freedom in their relative youth that the older generation enjoyed but, assuming another pandemic doesn’t come around (which it might of course) they’ll enjoy more freedom for a year or so in their middle age than some in that age bracket are now.

For me, those that have sacrificed/suffered the most are those that have lost lives, lost loved ones lost income or lost their jobs. Those areas are not limited to the young.

Don’t get me wrong, I feel sorry for the young but, I also feel sorry for the elderly and vulnerable that haven’t been able to go out. I feel sorry for people of all ages that have not been able to go out, go on holiday, meet family and friends etc etc

I don’t think we owe any age group a debt.

1 minute ago, TexasRam said:

Hey ho, I guess we all have our view. My overwhelming sense of “debt” is really only to those who have created vaccines;  for their intellect, then the leaders who have made the supply and rollout work and particularly to the health workers who have coped amazingly with a poo storm. When it comes to the NHS pay debate I wouldn’t change whatever normal pay increase gets agreed but I would be proposing a one off Covid Bonus to reward the exceptional and arduous work that they have done over the last 12 months. Youth has suffered as have old folks and their relatives. Then consider the parents of our youth who have done their bit keeping their kids foundations stable for when things get better. 

12 hours ago, maxjam said:

Don't dawdle!

I've calculated my walk to the match (remember that!) at 3.8mph (1.9 miles in 30 minutes).

However, when we don our walking boots and rucksacks, get out in the fields and take in the fresher air and greener scenery, I suspect (Ignoring picnics and generally taking in the views) a 6 mile hike takes us a good 2hrs to 2hrs 20mins.So 3mph to 2.6mph.

I doubt I've ever even seen anyone walking at 4mph+... isn't that called jogging!  ?

24 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Just out of interest, how do you think the under 40’s have sacrificed far more than the over 40’s? Genuine question.

OK, they’ve had a year or so of restricted freedom in their relative youth that the older generation enjoyed but, assuming another pandemic doesn’t come around (which it might of course) they’ll enjoy more freedom for a year or so in their middle age than some in that age bracket are now.

For me, those that have sacrificed/suffered the most are those that have lost lives, lost loved ones lost income or lost their jobs. Those areas are not limited to the young.

Don’t get me wrong, I feel sorry for the young but, I also feel sorry for the elderly and vulnerable that haven’t been able to go out. I feel sorry for people of all ages that have not been able to go out, go on holiday, meet family and friends etc etc

We disagree on everything on every thread for some reason. I don’t want to turn this into Corona virus 1 thread so I’ll leave my point where it is. 

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

I dont think it will slow it down.

The plan the government set out is still on track, the media have been the ones suggesting it may happen faster, they even suggested over 40's by easter at one point.

The problem is some are now seeing it as delayed because we wont do what the media said 'might' happen, guess it shows the power of the media.

'Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick said the UK had less supply of the vaccine "than we might have hoped for in the coming weeks but we expect it to increase again through the course of April".

He told BBC Breakfast the vaccine rollout would be "slightly slower than we might have hoped but not slower than the target we had set ourselves" of offering a first dose to all people aged over 50 by 15 April, and all adults by the end of July.

He said that anyone who had an appointment for a second jab "should have complete confidence" that they will go ahead'

6 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

The plan the government set out is still on track, the media have been the ones suggesting it may happen faster, they even suggested over 40's by easter at one point.

The problem is some are now seeing it as delayed because we wont do what the media said 'might' happen, guess it shows the power of the media.

'Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick said the UK had less supply of the vaccine "than we might have hoped for in the coming weeks but we expect it to increase again through the course of April".

He told BBC Breakfast the vaccine rollout would be "slightly slower than we might have hoped but not slower than the target we had set ourselves" of offering a first dose to all people aged over 50 by 15 April, and all adults by the end of July.

He said that anyone who had an appointment for a second jab "should have complete confidence" that they will go ahead'

Let’s hope so. MY point was IF there is a delay and groups of population don’t get a vaccination let’s not let that A. Stop the opening up plans and B. Restrict those (generally the younger population) who haven’t had the jab from all those freedoms they have been locked up against. 

It’s not been said that will happen anywhere but of course it’s a worry of for some. I’m just hoping it won’t happen and the roadmap we have in place stays in place (or sped up!) 

Sith Happens
10 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Let’s hope so. MY point was IF there is a delay and groups of population don’t get a vaccination let’s not let that A. Stop the opening up plans and B. Restrict those (generally the younger population) who haven’t had the jab from all those freedoms they have been locked up against. 

It’s not been said that will happen anywhere but of course it’s a worry of for some. I’m just hoping it won’t happen and the roadmap we have in place stays in place (or sped up!) 

I agree, my point is its only a worry because of what the media have said, not what the official rollout has ever said.

I think the media at one point even said mid may everyone done.

I would also hope if any delays do happen, provided the numbers continue to remain low then the plan to open continues as planned.

44 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

This is spot on. We can all work out from our own experiences that the rollout is way ahead of the Government's targets, presumably so we can ride any blips in the supply chain like this India one.

But the media want to use it as yet another 'story' to create a stir. They really do irritate me at times. It's not even political, as they do it with all parties, it's just this insatiable appetite for sensationalism and an inflated opinion of their own importance in the world!

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

This is spot on. We can all work out from our own experiences that the rollout is way ahead of the Government's targets, presumably so we can ride any blips in the supply chain like this India one.

But the media want to use it as yet another 'story' to create a stir. They really do irritate me at times. It's not even political, as they do it with all parties, it's just this insatiable appetite for sensationalism and an inflated opinion of their own importance in the world!

It's almost as though there is a media campaign to target ire and rage as specific easy targets whenever they need to deflect attention away from other matt... HEY, LOOK OVER THERE. MEGHAN!!!!!

In this instance, the rage is targeted at the EU, but the problem with respect to the shortfall seems to be elsewhere.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56438629

Edited by Eddie

32 minutes ago, angieram said:

28 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It's almost as though there is a media campaign to target ire and rage as specific easy targets whenever they need to deflect attention away from other matt... HEY, LOOK OVER THERE. MEGHAN!!!!!

In this instance, the rage is targeted at the EU, but the problem with respect to the shortfall seems to be elsewhere.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56438629

I think it's just that the media has got 24 hr TV channels and "Breaking News" banners to fill, plus click targets for advertising.

1. Create a news story from speculation or rumours. Breaking News: Somebody says Something might happen

2. Create another news story when it doesn't happen

Win Win. For them.

I consume a fraction of the media news coverage that I used to, for this reason.

Why would the news media create one story getting straight to the facts, when they can create numerous ones speculating about it?

Edited by Wolfie

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

The older in general have made they’re money , have they’re pensions , have they’re homes paid or almost paid for , have established careers and  have worked from home , had they’re education, the list could go on?‍♂️,

we are NOT all in this together either through age or social and economic position and people really need to stop blindly pushing that fluffy pie in the sky narrative 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

The older in general have made they’re money , have they’re pensions , have they’re homes paid or almost paid for , have established careers and  have worked from home , had they’re education, the list could go on?‍♂️,

we are NOT all in this together either through age or social and economic position and people really need to stop blindly pushing that fluffy pie in the sky narrative 

Not everyone over 50 are quite as well off as you seem to be suggesting. Some older people may have lost their jobs and have the worry over keeping up their mortgage payments and paying their other bills. I agree, education is a worry (I am a school governor) and a set back but to suggest younger people can’t now establish a career sounds a little over the top.

Working from home isn’t an option for some people, some older people may have lost well paid jobs that they have taken years to get to, some may fear losing their homes, this list could also go on.

I don’t think you can broadly say any particular age group has suffered more or less than any other. Everyone’s circumstances are different.

Valid point about certain social and economic groups suffering more than others but that’s got nothing to do with age which is where this all started.

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Not everyone over 50 are quite as well off as you seem to be suggesting. Some older people may have lost their jobs and have the worry over keeping up their mortgage payments and paying their other bills. I agree, education is a worry (I am a school governor) and a set back but to suggest younger people can’t now establish a career sounds a little over the top.

Working from home isn’t an option for some people, some older people may have lost well paid jobs that they have taken years to get to, some may fear losing their homes, this list could also go on.

I don’t think you can broadly say any particular age group has suffered more or less than any other. Everyone’s circumstances are different.

Valid point about certain social and economic groups suffering more than others but that’s got nothing to do with age which is where this all started.

Disagree, yep not all , but I hold to the generalisation being far more reflective than the we are all in it together generalisation ?‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Archied said:

Disagree, yep not all , but I hold to the generalisation being far more reflective than the we are all in it together generalisation ?‍♂️

Do you mean “agree, not all”?

I agree now about the “all in it together” comment not being particularly valid but, not to a great extent, in terms of age.

Also, do the older generation “owe” the younger generations? It’s not as if the older generations have inflicted the virus on younger people and, in terms of freedom, are not benefiting at the expense of others.