The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

3 hours ago, BIllyD said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/medicalxpress.com/news/2021-03-france-astrazeneca-jab-over-55s.amp

France now saying the AZ jab is only safe for those over 55, you can't make this stuff up.

No evidence to link these blood clots to the vaccine yet for some reason France continue to discredit it. Very clearly a political decision...what says you  @GboroRam ??

My colleagues in Paris are fuming with the EU.. It’s one big f up and now they are back into a third wave. 
It was Macron trying to score points. Shambles.

3 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Not sure if you saw that 6 asian women were recently shot dead in that latest US gun massacre? Might not be the best time to make gags about the zero impact of irresponsible language. US gun nuts aren't as rational and nuanced as us exceptional English types.

It's alright, American Ram was banned long ago.

Looks like the French are aiming to take the UKs European title of mismanaging the crisis. Probably have to look at it through the lens of their antivaccine population however... 

I think there's a bit of conflation between actions of the EU and its member states though. The EMA has always said the AZ vaccine is safe.

The EUs main screw up is their poor procurement of vaccines. They haven't had export bans like the USA. 

Let's be clear though, AZ aren't angels.. They've massively over promised what they can deliver to the UK and EU. Their test design was more confusing than Pfizer. 

Only criticism of UK gov on vaccinations is that I'd hoped they'd have invested more in ramping up production. 

Edited by alexxxxx

12 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Looks like the French are aiming to take the UKs European title of mismanaging the crisis. Probably have to look at it through the lens of their antivaccine population however... 

I think there's a bit of conflation between actions of the EU and its member states though. The EMA has always said the AZ vaccine is safe.

The EUs main screw up is their poor procurement of vaccines. They haven't had export bans like the USA. 

Let's be clear though, AZ aren't angels.. They've massively over promised what they can deliver to the UK and EU. Their test design was more confusing than Pfizer. 

Only criticism of UK gov on vaccinations is that I'd hoped they'd have invested more in ramping up production. 

They delivered over 660k yesterday and are ramping production up in line with what supplies they have. I'm not sure how they could have done much better in this area tbh ? 

12 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

They delivered over 660k yesterday and are ramping production up in line with what supplies they have. I'm not sure how they could have done much better in this area tbh ? 

They're only minor issues really.

We've had to rely on Indian imports to keep up pace because AZ can't deliver at the speed we originally wanted. 

It's certainly been one of the best roll outs globally. 

Edited by alexxxxx

46 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Agreed.

It's the only thing the government have got right.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Agreed.

It's the only thing the government have got right.

I think they got the furlough scheme and support for jobs and the economy and mass testing right as well(not test and trace). So those two plus vaccinations are 3 big chunks. I think you need to wait for the outcome of a proper, academically rigorous and thorough public inquiry before drawing conclusions   

18 hours ago, Norman said:

Can we not call it 'Brazilian' or 'Kent' variants, please? 

Remember those that got offended by the terms 'Chinese' and 'Wuhan'. They are still feeling it to this day. 

My wife works at a local university and she says that some students from Kent got abused  at the weekend by a baying mob of angry East Midlands-born students, all shouting "get lost you stupid posh-sounding gits with no proper football clubs, coming over here spreading yours stupid Kent variant..la-di-da back off to Canterbury" 

*one for @i-Ram there ?

Edited by Stive Pesley

38 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I think they got the furlough scheme and support for jobs and the economy and mass testing right as well(not test and trace). So those two plus vaccinations are 3 big chunks. I think you need to wait for the outcome of a proper, academically rigorous and thorough public inquiry before drawing conclusions   

I drew my conclusions as soon as we saw where the money was going, thanks - into the coffers of rich backers.

The main article is paywalled, but some of the points are in the twitter thread

Without getting into the politics (and therefore having the posts deleted) - it's an interesting debate - if you keep it personal, not political

I'd take a 4 day week on the same pay over a 5 day week with a 20% payrise

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

The main article is paywalled, but some of the points are in the twitter thread

Without getting into the politics (and therefore having the posts deleted) - it's an interesting debate - if you keep it personal, not political

I'd take a 4 day week on the same pay over a 5 day week with a 20% payrise

So would I.

I guess it depends where you are in life but for me the more time I have for myself the better,  which is why I am happy to continue working from home aslong as possible. 

32 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I can't understand why my post attracted such controversy. If it's just EU politics, why have so many countries taken similarly cautious steps? 

I never said politics isn't part of it, it's fairly standard practice for all politicians. But some people here just blindly said EU is bad, booo. 

@Sith Happens was the first to laugh at my comment that it wasn't solely EU politics involved, otherwise it would be just EU countries suspending the AZ vaccine. So I tried to ask why. Still waiting for his reply with an answer.

Considering his aversion to politics on this thread he was quick to bring up the EU, which was a surprise. Not really. 

Several times I have answered the question about other countries, yet you seem to be ignoring it and just repeating the statement. I'll try again, they paused it based on the message coming from these EU countries. No other reason, unless you are saying it's something different ?

10 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Several times I have answered the question about other countries, yet you seem to be ignoring it and just repeating the statement. I'll try again, they paused it based on the message coming from these EU countries. No other reason, unless you are saying it's something different ?

How is that EU politics, unless it's not true data? 

12 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

How is that EU politics, unless it's not true data? 

You still ignored the question. 

They suspended it on blood clots, even though medical advice was to continue. As was proven, there was no connection between the two. The other vaccine which also had people that had blood clots after having the jabs was not suspended, so tell me why would you suspend one and not the other ?

It was not data that showed any connection between the two though. Same as there is no connection between blood clots and the under 55s. So I'm not quite sure what you mean by true data, if I have a car crash after having the jab, would you say the two are related ?

Edited by BIllyD
Spelling

7 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

I thought when news of this Oxford AZ vaccine was being developed they said they had already made up 100m doses. Did they have to throw them away? Also you say about about over promising but have you seen this in writing? It’s alway in the small print in these contracts that they have get out clauses.

Edited by Gritstone Ram
Poor punctuation