Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

Not that any of us would ever write anything derogatory on the forum ... and especially not about anyone from the UAE ...

... but just in case any of us might ever feel tempted, be warned that it could apparently result in a sticky situation if we ever visit the UAE!

I have copied a small extract from a Press Release issued by Detained in Dubai below:

"A private WhatsApp [social media] message to a friend, colleague, or ex partner can land you in jail.

Even more unimaginable is the extraterritorial element. You do not even have to be in the UAE when you send the message. This is extremely dangerous for visitors to the country."

Can I just take this opportunity to thank @David for the brilliant job that he does running the forum - and point out that this seemingly sycophantic praise has absolutely nothing to do with him being the custodian of my posts and true identity. David is the best!

Hi Mel. Any news on the takeover?

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

According to some of the legends, Robin Hood was born in Chellaston

I don't think that is true,  Kevin Costner sounded nowt like he came from chellaston. 

1 hour ago, Sith Happens said:

I don't think that is true,  Kevin Costner sounded nowt like he came from chellaston. 

Even that is contested by some historians. As written, American English is closer to how English was written in the 18th century in England than is current UK English. There is an argument that the East Coast American accent is very close to the prevailing accent in England when the US was founded.

It is us who have changed, not them. Accents are believed to have changed more slowly in the days before extensive travel and widespread literacy. If that's true, then the accent in medieval Chellaston could have had a distinct American twang to it.

7 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Even that is contested by some historians. As written, American English is closer to how English was written in the 18th century in England than is current UK English. There is an argument that the East Coast American accent is very close to the prevailing accent in England when the US was founded.

It is us who have changed, not them. Accents are believed to have changed more slowly in the days before extensive travel and widespread literacy. If that's true, then the accent in medieval Chellaston could have had a distinct American twang to it.

The great bowel shift some people call it 

11 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

it doesn't surprise me the Americans haven't changed,  bloody lazy lot. 

Archived