Abu Derby County

tinman

2 hours ago, europia said:

Grim reading indeed.

Probably best in the long run if the Sheikh falls through. The problem we face is that the club isn't an attractive financial proposition, so it's not easy to find someone with genuine intentions to take it on. 

A new owner really just needs to tidy up the infrastructure, it's all pretty modern. A reading of Derby's history reveals many financial problems over the years, largely I think down to poor financial management. Would look to balance the books, certainly initially. But Derby County should be in the top 20 or top 44 in England given the fanbase and the decent stadium.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Surely they'll just keep deducting the annual rent from the DCFC debtor & Gellaw creditor.

No actual cash moving either way.

I’d assumed the proceeds of the loans were going to fund cash losses in the club. So if 202 is the borrower I think loan proceeds would be transferred from 202 to the club to cover those cash losses (paying down the interco position)

On 03/02/2021 at 00:17, derby8 said:

A reading of Derby's history reveals many financial problems over the years, largely I think down to poor financial management

This can't be right - our Chief Financial Officer since 2013 has done such an exemplary job that he was promoted to CEO in 2019!

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

This can't be right - our Chief Financial Officer since 2013 has done such an exemplary job that he was promoted to CEO in 2019!

This goes beyond one person. There are many examples going back a very long way, before the last war Derby were in trouble for going around the then maximum wage, going to the present and the sale of the stadium to go around ffp. This 'creative accounting' was done with the best of intentions for Derby but often leads to problems down the track. Think my line as owner would be to avoid such devices.

1 hour ago, derby8 said:

This goes beyond one person. There are many examples going back a very long way, before the last war Derby were in trouble for going around the then maximum wage, going to the present and the sale of the stadium to go around ffp. This 'creative accounting' was done with the best of intentions for Derby but often leads to problems down the track. Think my line as owner would be to avoid such devices.

Are you going to bid for the club ?

14 minutes ago, Beetle said:

If we want to be competitive at the top of this league we will lose millions each year. If we get promoted we will lose even more. We can't sustain our own ambition.

Simply not true. We are one of the top 20 average attendance of all English clubs, we have infrastructure that is the envy of many clubs higher up the league than ourselves, we have the support network to be an established Premier League club or - at least - a yo-yo one.

And, managed effectively, that would make us a profitable proposition to anyone who is able to do just that - manage us effectively. Yes, we have some debt, we have not always looked after ourselves as we should, but that does not mean it should always be. That is what would be attractive to an investor - the potential of the club.

I don't say the Sheikh is that person, frankly if he is then he has done a fine job of hiding his skills in a cloud of ineptitude in how to front a takeover. But, somewhere down the road, next year or the year after, someone will invest in us in the same way as they did with Cardiff, Bournemouth, Watford, West Brom, Stoke, Wolves, Middlesborough, Southampton, Fulham, Norwich, Blackburn or any other club of similar size and structure as ourselves.

image.thumb.png.5c9af2cc8f98c869fbab9481580ce1c3.png

9 minutes ago, Beetle said:

No idea why anyone would want to own us. If we want to be competitive at the top of this league we will lose millions each year. If we get promoted we will lose even more. We can't sustain our own ambition.

Football in general is heading for a huge fall. I was speaking to a senior manager at the EFL this week and he told me that almost 40 clubs are actively seeking new ownership.

Most clubs are living off unreturned season ticket monies from this season (which they will have to roll into credits for next season when fans will be back), plus the furlough scheme and central grants and loans. These are all going to start drying up after April and we will start to see casualties appearing at the back end of the year.

27 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Football in general is heading for a huge fall. I was speaking to a senior manager at the EFL this week and he told me that almost 40 clubs are actively seeking new ownership.

Most clubs are living off unreturned season ticket monies from this season (which they will have to roll into credits for next season when fans will be back), plus the furlough scheme and central grants and loans. These are all going to start drying up after April and we will start to see casualties appearing at the back end of the year.

Thank goodness all the clubs in the PL are fine with their TV money etc !

Not envious but well yes I am

we need Robin Hood and his Merry men to start taking from the rich clubs to give to the poor, otherwise our very existence is threatened

47 minutes ago, Beetle said:

No idea why anyone would want to own us. If we want to be competitive at the top of this league we will lose millions each year. If we get promoted we will lose even more. We can't sustain our own ambition.

2 interesting views on this above. The first one suggests someone will come in like MM did in 2015, and others have elsewhere, and that there's a good infrastructure to build on. The second one suggests around 40 clubs could be for sale, dire straits. Seems to me a good time for someone to t/o Derby and run it as a disciplined business, see where that takes us. A sustainable club whose success depends on good financial and football management. Worth a try I'd say.

3 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

Thank goodness all the clubs in the PL are fine with their TV money etc !

Not envious but well yes I am

we need Robin Hood and his Merry men to start taking from the rich clubs to give to the poor, otherwise our very existence is threatened

By the way scrap FFP or P&S, let’s make it free for all !

Why not have a scheme where a % of transfer fees paid out go into fund to help struggling poorer clubs to survive (like us) !

2 hours ago, derby8 said:

George Jobey 1941 I belive.

derby-county-manager-george-jobey-1935-E

15 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

By the way scrap FFP or P&S, let’s make it free for all !

Why not have a scheme where a % of transfer fees paid out go into fund to help struggling poorer clubs to survive (like us) !

There could be an argument to scrap ffp for say 5 years, then reviewed, as a way of rich owners pumping much needed cash into football, via their own clubs, the money would circulate around as transfer fees, etc. The post covid football finances will need a boost, this could be one way.

Archived