Rooney manager. John Gregory assistant.

DcFc Dyycheee

4 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

My big fear with this headline is that the source is actually one of Rooney's representatives & is a bit of shot across the bows. If (and its a big if) that's the case & Rooney does not totally disassociate himself from it privately with Cocu, he needs to leave the club immediately. We can not have a situation where a star name is actively looking to undermine the manager.

Here's a conspiracy theory ? 

I think this rumour has been released by the club - It gives Mel and/or Cocu a chance to directly answer questions about Cocu's future which has been mildly but not directly questioned after the start to the season - It also give us some 'cover' in the media to stop journos focusing on who we might sign/might be after and gives us space to do those deals without quite as much focus...

Got absolutely no knowledge to back this up but it's about as valid as the rest of the speculation on here

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are a big fish in what is a very small pond in the championship this season and we have Wayne Rooney who has started his coaching - newspapers simply have nothing to write about because they are not allowed to say how poor the football looks without fans so they try to stir up any kind of trouble  

6 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Trying to cling to how genuinely made up and happy Cocu and Rooney were together at the end of the Norwich game. Since then all I could see as having changed is some sort of row about transfers especially if possibly selling Sibley has been sprung on poor Phil. Think we probably have no idea just how much ?Cocu has had to deal with behind the scenes. 

They were happy but no doubt for different reasons.

Rooney gets the winner which just adds to his standing and Cocu has basically poohoused a win by playing in a slightly desperate fashion in a completely different style to the one he wants.

None of this will have slipped past Mel unnoticed,nor the team get together earlier in the week in an attempt to build some team cohesion.

I think the signs were,that the writing was on the wall at that point.

Let's hope not.

This JonoAnon

It is all an EFL plot designed to unsettle Mel and the team. Fury that the last sabotage attempt failed they have now resorted to special ops. Expect more like this.

No truth in it all but if you want to damage your enemy you attack from behind with dark forces. 

This thread really has brought out the worst in some posters

It seems like an appropriate time to use that shitty alternating case twitter meme thing

tHeRe'S nO SMoKe WiThOuT fIRe

People don't seem to know the difference between smoke & steam, it's like they could boil a kettle, see the steam and convince themselves that the kettle was faulty and about to burst into flames.

It's like weeing outside on a cold winters morning and believing you've set the ground on fire when the steam rises, and quite frankly I wouldn't give some of the drama queens on here the steam off my piss.

Nothing surprises me at Derby. 

This would surprise me. 

I keep trying to be less invested in what happens with our club, because it's such a time sink, but then I'm always sucked back in. If this actually happened it would make it so much easier to walk away. 

I want us to build something special. The problem with Derby the last few years had been continually shifting strategy. We've gone from having the oldest squad in football under Rowett, to actually planning a route to the first team, years in advance, for our academy youngsters. Four call-ups to the England U20. A teenager making his debut for the Republic. 

All this having sourced my favourite foreign midfielder and one of the world's most successful managers at developing youth players. I love this new strategy and long term plan. 

Derby have a very long history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. If this happens again, then I shall be disillusioned beyond words. 

I lost faith in Cucu a while back, so for me, the sooner he's gone the better. No point in a long term plan if the plan is wrong to start with.

But I don't want Wayne Rooney for the same reason I didn't want Frank Lampard. If he fails we suffer. But any sort of success and he leaves for a bigger club. The only possible positive would be if he had such a good season that we got promoted - but I think an experienced manager is a far better bet for that and they might even hang around afterwards.

Bar this one comment I'm going to ignore this needless piece of shet-stirring as nonsense until I hear otherwise from something more authoritative than the Sun. We have a game to win and a possible loan to nail down. We don't need this pointless distraction and Cocu deserves better than to have to deal with malicious speculation that undermines him. Beat Watford and our season looks a lot brighter. Let's focus on that.

5 minutes ago, jono said:

This JonoAnon

It is all an EFL plot designed to unsettle Mel and the team. Fury that the last sabotage attempt failed they have now resorted to special ops. Expect more like this.

No truth in it all but if you want to damage your enemy you attack from behind with dark forces. 

Stranger things have happened

27 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

FWIW I don't ever want Rooney as manager of this club. The attraction for him is clear - to emulate the path that Lampard took & I don't doubt that the national sports journalists would be very keen to see him a) get the Derby job & then b) agitate for him to get the Man Utd job/another big job in a year or so's time. For our perspective, that just returns us to short term thinking & whilst it may be 'exciting' to some, I don't think for a minute it would get us to where we want to be & what we want to be.

My big fear with this headline is that the source is actually one of Rooney's representatives & is a bit of shot across the bows. If (and its a big if) that's the case & Rooney does not totally disassociate himself from it privately with Cocu, he needs to leave the club immediately. We can not have a situation where a star name is actively looking to undermine the manager.

Totally agree. A big concern that his agent Paul Stretford is a stirrer of the highest order.

It always sounds weird to me when these kind of things in come out in football stories " The last win gave him (the current manager) a reprieve" or "He has one more game to save his job". Does anyone really behave like that? If Mel has decided to get rid of Phillip he'll get rid, why the silly caveats? Makes no sense which leads me to believe its journalistic nonsense.

I have no doubt that when Rooney signed he did so with the full intention of taking a managers job as soon as he can. He made the same obvious at the time. Think it's very likely that Rooney was told when he first signed if Cocu leaves he has first refusal for the managers spot. 

But the timing of this would be very surprising, if this has come from Rooney or one of his reps then why do it at a time no players can be signed. If its come from the club then again why wait until Cocu has made 7 signings. Either there's been a big fall out we don't know about or the club are doing with a plan in mind. 

Archived