Rooney manager. John Gregory assistant.

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, sage said:

No denial yet from dcfc. If there is nothing by 10 I fear the worst.

But.  I still think its baalocks...at the minute 

If the club had to deny every invented rumour by the media they'd never stop making statements. 

Just now, Marriott Ram99 said:

There's no evidence either  way really but how can you completely deny something just based off a hunch to me there's a chance its BS but also a chance its true or at least partly true. 

I probably shouldn’t have been snarky so apologies for that

a) We’re up against it with FFP, sacking a manager and three coaches with nearly three years left on their contracts would cost the best part of £8m or so

b) Doing so would presumably be a last roll at “chasing the dream” so replacing him with a manager who’s experience mounts to directing John Bishop around a pitch at Soccer Aid, assisted by a failed manager with bad blood at the club, makes no sense

c) Rooney’s position as a player would be totally undermined if this were true BUT Cocu clawed it back and retained his position

d) The club / Mel have consistently backed Cocu and the long term plan, and publically at least Cocu has accepted a lot of nonsense

e) Rooney clearly has designs on being a manager, would he risk his reputation on a club on a tough run of fixtures as well as a fan base that Mel knows would be totally against the decision

f) Giving managers one game ultimatums makes no sense. Completely illogical

g) Mel has been very patient with all of our last three managers, I can’t believe he’d now row back on that

6 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I probably shouldn’t have been snarky so apologies for that

a) We’re up against it with FFP, sacking a manager and three coaches with nearly three years left on their contracts would cost the best part of £8m or so

b) Doing so would presumably be a last roll at “chasing the dream” so replacing him with a manager who’s experience mounts to directing John Bishop around a pitch at Soccer Aid, assisted by a failed manager with bad blood at the club, makes no sense

c) Rooney’s position as a player would be totally undermined if this were true BUT Cocu clawed it back and retained his position

d) The club / Mel have consistently backed Cocu and the long term plan, and publically at least Cocu has accepted a lot of nonsense

e) Rooney clearly has designs on being a manager, would he risk his reputation on a club on a tough run of fixtures as well as a fan base that Mel knows would be totally against the decision

f) Giving managers one game ultimatums makes no sense. Completely illogical

g) Mel has been very patient with all of our last three managers, I can’t believe he’d now row back on that

There's no doubt that Mel will have a performance clause in Cocus contract,so I doubt that particular aspect would be a massive stumbling block to sacking him early......the same goes for his senior staff I'd imagine.

Really annoyed to read this headline on a number of levels.

My initial impression is that its absolute nonsense & probably provoked by bored journos in international week thinking 'Rooney's gone a bit quiet at Derby & notice they've not started well...' and then wildly speculating about what could happen. The bit about Gregory as an assistant is particularly laughable.

I'd also be very surprised if Mel would even consider it. He's committed to a long term plan & even if he were looking to replace Cocu, its highly unlikely that would be in the public domain given how little information leaks out of the club these days.

FWIW I don't ever want Rooney as manager of this club. The attraction for him is clear - to emulate the path that Lampard took & I don't doubt that the national sports journalists would be very keen to see him a) get the Derby job & then b) agitate for him to get the Man Utd job/another big job in a year or so's time. For our perspective, that just returns us to short term thinking & whilst it may be 'exciting' to some, I don't think for a minute it would get us to where we want to be & what we want to be.

My big fear with this headline is that the source is actually one of Rooney's representatives & is a bit of shot across the bows. If (and its a big if) that's the case & Rooney does not totally disassociate himself from it privately with Cocu, he needs to leave the club immediately. We can not have a situation where a star name is actively looking to undermine the manager.

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

This is just so unbelievable... Fantasy almost!  Not in a million years can I believe any of this nonsense!

Why on earth would they drive away, leaving poor @TexasRam stranded all alone, at the side of the A52?  It just doesn't make sense!

Haha and they were my mates ??‍♂️

?.....long story short, the traffic slowed near bramcote island as the police where managing traffic (football coaches) me and several other got off for a pee after drinking several pints in the Prince of Wales spondon. Unfortunately for me the police then let traffic flow again and I hadn't finished (it’s has a long way to travel with me ?) and there I was stuck on the side of the road..........

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

There's no doubt that Mel will have a performance clause in Cocus contract,so I doubt that particular aspect would be a massive stumbling block to sacking him early......the same goes for his senior staff I'd imagine.

Okay so it might cost a years salary for them? At the very minimum? Probably £3m-£4m at a guess? When we’ve just been haggling over £800k on an asset to add to the books?

Of course he could keep them on the payroll but not sure it would make much sense

Trying to cling to how genuinely made up and happy Cocu and Rooney were together at the end of the Norwich game. Since then all I could see as having changed is some sort of row about transfers especially if possibly selling Sibley has been sprung on poor Phil. Think we probably have no idea just how much ?Cocu has had to deal with behind the scenes. 

Archived