Rooney manager. John Gregory assistant.

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad Mel was able to shut this down quickly.

It was a silly rumour, the worrying part was the Gregory link. 

Id been looking for the link between Rooney or Mel and Gregory and couldn’t find one.

Someone further back (sorry can’t remember who) mentions Paul Stretford who is agent for Rooney and Gregory, so that explains that link!

The bad news is this looks like potential trouble making in the background from Rooney’s side. Not good!

50 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I totally agree. 

Talksport even said it was happening 

TalkSPORT is a strange outlet. It tends to have some in fighting so to speak. Sometimes a story is broke in one segment and then completely discredited by another presenter. Adrian Durham loves to rip into Alan Brazil for example. I think as Mel seems quite chummy with Jim white he was clearly happy to go on for the second time this week to quickly put it to bed. 

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

We will see then 

He did back him but not unequivocally 

Any owner giving 100% backing to a manager is a fool and is setting himself up for ridicule if things go totally pear-shaped in the ensuing months.

MM has said Cocu is under pressure - just likely all the managers in the PL, EFL and various levels below. There are 2 things managers should be judged against - results and overall progress measured against the targets set on Day 1. No one can deny results haven't been what we had hoped for or expected but we're only 4 games into the season so much to early to judge.

2 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

I lost faith in Cucu a while back, so for me, the sooner he's gone the better. No point in a long term plan if the plan is wrong to start with.

But I don't want Wayne Rooney for the same reason I didn't want Frank Lampard. If he fails we suffer. But any sort of success and he leaves for a bigger club. The only possible positive would be if he had such a good season that we got promoted - but I think an experienced manager is a far better bet for that and they might even hang around afterwards.

While I disagree profoundly with this it's a credible stance and I know other people who think the same way. This Rooney rumour seemed the worst of all worlds.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

The one thing that surprised me is Talksport were one of the first outlets to circulate the story and yet Mel goes on there being all friendly and cheerful.

Surely if it’s mischief making by the tabloids then surely seeing a media company you have a good relationship with driving the story and adding fuel to the fire would anger you.

After all, the story broke just under 48 hours from the transfer deadline and our big game on Friday. That is unhelpful and undermines the club.

I am surprised he didn’t go on a rant.

Think Mel has a good relationship with Jim White and Simon Jordan so is on relatively often for a Championship owner. Mel has used them before as a media outlet to get his point of view across, for example when talking about Lampard. Much to the chagrin of Radio Derby.

Cheap journalism that only a rag like the sun  would come out with. Cocu s  first real transfer window and appears to have pulled in quality for little money ,poor results may be forgiven with injuries to key players and Rooney hasn't got his badges ,if their was any truth in this Mel must have lost his marbles and this would be a car crash waiting to happen. We also know what happened with the last one.

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

If the club had to deny every invented rumour by the media they'd never stop making statements. 

So what you're saying is Mel won't be on any media this morning denying the story.

OK. I stand corrected.

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

If you look at it squarely, starting the season without a striker is a bit like setting sail in a ship without a key member of the crew on board. You should just not let it happen. But we did. That smacks of outright dilettantism regardless of the unlucky circumstances. 

I don’t think so. The club felt it offered a good deal to Martin but it wasn’t good enough for Martin. Then Waghorn And Lawrence  get injured, then we are under a soft embargo and, although not ideal, we have strikers in the academy. I don’t think it’s being dilettante, it’s just a turn of events that resource, luck and league strictures prevented us from dealing with. It’s part of life’s up and downs. 

A customer once asked the co I worked for what disaster planning had we put in place to ensure security of supply to their production line in case of earthquake or other major issue. .. obviously we told them we would make sure we had an unused second factory full of production ready machines and skilled staff that we could call on 24/7. .... If they would commit to buying 10 times the current volumes and a 50% price increase. ... we didn’t really, but that is the implication of being able to cover every situation in the business we are in. 

5 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

That was my thought too. Rooney asked his agent to stir up some poo?

Or an out of work john Gregory asked his agent to stir things up. Or an agent known for his stirring decided to stir things up to help his out of work client   

Archived