Rooney manager. John Gregory assistant.

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

You can't do that in football, because then you'd be lying. It's a results business, he gave him a show of confidence as far as physically possible. 

You’re telling me Paul Clement isn’t 1/5th of the way through his 25-year tenure as Derby County’s Alex Ferguson?

So, having not litened, can i guess the tone was not quite "Tom Glick thinks Nigel Clough is doing a terrific job after the latest pasting in an away game" but reassuring that that the "Madman Mel's Pressure Cooker" days of managercide sacking sprees are not upon us either.

The season hasn't started well, and of course there is pressure expectation to improve things, but he could hardly go on and say "I'm over the effing moon with how things are going"

11 hours ago, dantheram said:

This is what I’ve heard (in no way whatsoever substantiated). 

Suspect the striker issue was the final straw. 

If you look at it squarely, starting the season without a striker is a bit like setting sail in a ship without a key member of the crew on board. You should just not let it happen. But we did. That smacks of outright dilettantism regardless of the unlucky circumstances. 

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wayne-rooney-phillip-cocu-Derby-4608422

Nicholson highlights:

A bit of background here. Before kick off at Norwich in Derby's last game I became aware of rumours suggesting Cocu might be under pressure should the Rams suffer a fourth consecutive league defeat having already lost to Reading, Luton Town and Blackburn Rovers.

I was told those rumours were "utter nonsense", and that was stressed again to me earlier this week before The Sun article appeared late last night. The message this morning remains the same.

Cocu is very much part of a long-term plan. He has impressed those at the club, and let's not forget how he handled a difficult season on and off the pitch last season. His dignified calmness was applauded by many.

7 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Did he say Cocu was putting pressure on himself or did I mishear 

I haven’t heard the interview but, from what I’ve read, I think he did.

From what I gather, Mel’s not saying that Cocu’s perceived poor performance is putting pressure on himself; rather the high expectations that Cocu holds for himself are sufficient for the level of pressure that he needs to maximise performance, and any supposed external pressure from Mel or the media is irrelevant.

3 minutes ago, Rolleston said:

Cocu's time was up when he held the meeting with the players and staff. Changes to the style of play, team selection etc,  at Norwich brought about by players was not a good sign.

Yes because players and management never ever have meetings and when they do it’s only when the writing is on the wall. Daft bar steward. 

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I haven’t heard the interview but, from what I’ve read, I think he did.

From what I gather, Mel’s not saying that Cocu’s perceived poor performance is putting pressure on himself; rather the high expectations that Cocu holds for himself are sufficient for the level of pressure that he needs to maximise performance, and any supposed external pressure from Mel or the media is irrelevant.

So mate if we lose the next 2 games say against Watford and Huddersfield this perceived pressure he put on himself will only intensify thus making him doing the job extremely difficult for him. 

Of course we may and I hope win the next 2 or 3 games thus easing the pressure.

I Just think saying he is putting pressure on himself with all the things he has had to deal with a bit remiss.

I don’t think this story will go away easily 

Archived