Jordon Ibe - Signed on a 2 year deal

S8TY

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Topram said:

No way Cocu talks about him the way he did yesterday if he failed his medical 

Exactly what I thought - Cocu is good at being cagey when we're in for someone and don't want to announce it - But he's also pretty clear when we're not in for someone and/or the deal isn't going anywhere - If he failed the medical we wouldn't be following up interest (I'd imagine)

1 hour ago, Gritty said:

Our wages were so much higher than revenues we were making massive annual losses.  It's not just the transfer fees we've wasted, wages have been massively out of control. 

Getting rid of high wage earners reduces the annual loss we make.   We won't just fill up again with more players on high wages.  

I personally don't want Ibe on anything other than a pay as you play deal.  He's not shown anything for a couple of years.  Rather have someone who is raw but with massive desire from a lower league

That was 3 seasons ago though. The last set of publicly available accounts were for the 17/18 season, where the group wages were £46.85m (inc. social security).

17/18
Squad for whole season: Carson, Mitchell, Wisdom, Baird, Keogh, Davies, Forsyth, Olsson, Huddlestone, Thorne, Hanson, Johnson, Ledley, Anya, Lawrence, Weimann,  Vydra, Nugent, Winnall (loan)
Half season: Russell, Martin, Jerome, Bent, Palmer (loan)
Loaned out for season: Butterfield, Bryson, Blackman
Loaned out for half season: Roos, Shackell, Pearce, Lowe, Bennett, Martin, Bent

Compare the squad situation then to what we have now and I'd be surprised if we haven't halved the wage bill. The squad been streamlined considerably with only Malone (and possibly Jozefzoon soon) as 'big earners' out on loan. It's astonishing the wages we would have been paying to players to perform at other clubs in 17/18.

Roos, Marshall, Ravas, Byrne, Wisdom, te Wierik, Evans, Davies, Clarke, Forsyth, Buchanan, Bielik, Bird, Shinnie, Rooney, Knight, Holmes, Sibley, Lawrence, Jozwiak, Whittaker, Waghorn, Marriott.

I think there's plenty of room to get 2 new 'big earners' in

1 hour ago, StarterForTen said:

People talk about wages but what is better....

...Jozwiak for £4m and £15k a week, or

...Ibe for no fee and £35k a week

Over four years the outlay is the same. I'm not claiming those are the actual numbers, but you get my point.

I always thought that about Ravanelli. He was on big wages but cost no fee - and he was a 'top flight' striker with an almost one-in-three goal scoring record in a poor team. I actually thought he was OK value.

Massive difference, 4 mill transfer fee is on a player aged 22 who we hope will go up in value or at least have same fee when sold , the 20 k a week is dead money into players pocket ( we MIGHT get a fee for Ibe if it works out ) the wage structure is totaly blown out of the water and can cause big problems with the rest of the squad and before we say what about Rooney I would be stunned if any player at the club was not sensible enough to understand he’s a different case in terms of his stature and the money / profile he can generate for the club and the fact that sponsor s are paying a big part of his wages for the club

1 hour ago, LeedsRam1999 said:

Find the whole point of a goals bonus so stupid. Why does a striker need extra incentive to score. It should be score goals or end up at a club lower down the ladder.

No wonder everyone hates on football agents.

I disagree, I think players general wages should be much lower with slightly higher performance bonuses like goals, assists, clean sheets. That way they have an incentive to perform well to boost the more moderate wage

10 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I disagree, I think players general wages should be much lower with slightly higher performance bonuses like goals, assists, clean sheets. That way they have an incentive to perform well to boost the more moderate wage

I like bonuses but when it’s applied to goals it can be counterproductive if you get someone who shoots when he should pass.

Plenty of forwards who create assists by being sensible enough to know when to shoot and when not to.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That was 3 seasons ago though. The last set of publicly available accounts were for the 17/18 season, where the group wages were £46.85m (inc. social security).

17/18
Squad for whole season: Carson, Mitchell, Wisdom, Baird, Keogh, Davies, Forsyth, Olsson, Huddlestone, Thorne, Hanson, Johnson, Ledley, Anya, Lawrence, Weimann,  Vydra, Nugent, Winnall (loan)
Half season: Russell, Martin, Jerome, Bent, Palmer (loan)
Loaned out for season: Butterfield, Bryson, Blackman
Loaned out for half season: Roos, Shackell, Pearce, Lowe, Bennett, Martin, Bent

Compare the squad situation then to what we have now and I'd be surprised if we haven't halved the wage bill. The squad been streamlined considerably with only Malone (and possibly Jozefzoon soon) as 'big earners' out on loan. It's astonishing the wages we would have been paying to players to perform at other clubs in 17/18.

Roos, Marshall, Ravas, Byrne, Wisdom, te Wierik, Evans, Davies, Clarke, Forsyth, Buchanan, Bielik, Bird, Shinnie, Rooney, Knight, Holmes, Sibley, Lawrence, Jozwiak, Whittaker, Waghorn, Marriott.

I think there's plenty of room to get 2 new 'big earners' in

Wow! When you look back at 3 seasons ago and realise 26 of that seasons players are no longer with us ?

34 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Wages are crackers these days. Completely. My grandad used to moan about them in the 80s and like to tell me how he remembered when “players got £12 for a loss, £13 for a draw and £14 for a win!”

He was going to games back in the 40s though. Completely bonkers when you realise players like Bale are on excess of £600,000 per week???!!! How can a footballer or anyone for that matter warrant being paid that amount of money ??

10 minutes ago, Dean Saunder’s hat trick said:

Wow! When you look back at 3 seasons ago and realise 26 of that seasons players are no longer with us ?

You don't even have to go back that far. Only 2 players left over from Lampard's final game: Roos, Bogle, Cole, Keogh, Tomori, Huddlestone, Johnson, Mount, Wilson, Lawrence, Bennett.

43 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

All this will do is invite players not to pass when they should ,shoot when they shouldnt,create selfish play and disrupt team performances. Surely team incentives rather than individual bonuses would be better value.

28 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You don't even have to go back that far. Only 2 players left over from Lampard's final game: Roos, Bogle, Cole, Keogh, Tomori, Huddlestone, Johnson, Mount, Wilson, Lawrence, Bennett.

So we basically change our entire team every couple of seasons atm. Makes you realise why we’re so inconsistent

27 minutes ago, Dean Saunder’s hat trick said:

So we basically change our entire team every couple of seasons atm. Makes you realise why we’re so inconsistent

This is the problem with changing managers so regularly. 

Cocu is the first manager to start back to back seasons since Clough in 2013. 7 years with a new manager at the start of every season.

A new manager comes in and will inevitably want his own players in to fit into the system he wants to play. Some players we have will be suited to the system they play others won't. 

This is why it's imperative we stick with Cocu. 

Just now, MACKWORTHRAM said:

This is the problem with changing managers so regularly. 

Cocu is the first manager to start back to back seasons since Clough in 2013. 7 years with a new manager at the start of every season.

A new manager comes in and will inevitably want his own players in to fit into the system he wants to play. Some players we have will be suited to the system they play others won't. 

This is why it's imperative we stick with Cocu. 

Agree 100%

We also need a change from the fans thinking we need to sign 5 or 6 players every season.

Only have to look on here and see people demanding we sign multiple wingers and strikers, new full backs and defenders plus attacking midfielders.

It's a disease within our fan base and probably other clubs fans too. There seems to be a mentality that to show ambition and move forwards as a club you have to keep signing players and turning over the squad. No wonder we waste money have had bloated squad stacked in certain positions.

If in doubt chuck a load of money at it seems to be a hard cycle to break 

Archived