Jordon Ibe - Signed on a 2 year deal

S8TY

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

This is the problem with changing managers so regularly. 

Cocu is the first manager to start back to back seasons since Clough in 2013. 7 years with a new manager at the start of every season.

A new manager comes in and will inevitably want his own players in to fit into the system he wants to play. Some players we have will be suited to the system they play others won't. 

This is why it's imperative we stick with Cocu. 

Absolutely agree. I was thinking a few days ago that if cocu lasts the season it must be the first time we’ve had the same manager for 2 full season since Clough. It’s about time we had some stability!

1 hour ago, KBB said:

Agree 100%

We also need a change from the fans thinking we need to sign 5 or 6 players every season.

Only have to look on here and see people demanding we sign multiple wingers and strikers, new full backs and defenders plus attacking midfielders.

It's a disease within our fan base and probably other clubs fans too. There seems to be a mentality that to show ambition and move forwards as a club you have to keep signing players and turning over the squad. No wonder we waste money have had bloated squad stacked in certain positions.

If in doubt chuck a load of money at it seems to be a hard cycle to break 

I agree with you to an extent mate. I'd happily sign a left back, another winger and a striker now. Then moving forward we wouldn't need to strengthen to this extent in every window. Need a squad that stays together.

33 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

You think Ibe will come mate?

I know as much as the next person mate. 

The only thing I did know for certain was that he wasn't at Moor Farm on the day it came out that he was having a medical.

We clearly want him. There's clearly something happening.

Wouldn't surprise me if something was already agreed. But I don't know really.

2 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Cocu is the first manager to start back to back seasons since Clough in 2013. 7 years with a new manager at the start of every season.

A new manager comes in and will inevitably want his own players in to fit into the system he wants to play. Some players we have will be suited to the system they play others won't. 

Blatantly true, MR, unless we are in the bottom three. Hang on, we are in the bottom three. COYR.

Your posts are excellent, MR. So are Ghost of Clough's. Well done both of you. COYR

Been saying this season after season 

to the point I was genuinely disappointed Gary snarky rowett Left, not because i was a fan of his football but because I believe we craved stability in order to succeed for the very reasons uv stated 

the same applies to cocu, not a fan of his football, but I’m firmly behind him in the name of stability 

1 hour ago, KBB said:

Agree 100%

We also need a change from the fans thinking we need to sign 5 or 6 players every season.

Only have to look on here and see people demanding we sign multiple wingers and strikers, new full backs and defenders plus attacking midfielders.

It's a disease within our fan base and probably other clubs fans too. There seems to be a mentality that to show ambition and move forwards as a club you have to keep signing players and turning over the squad. No wonder we waste money have had bloated squad stacked in certain positions.

If in doubt chuck a load of money at it seems to be a hard cycle to break 

I am not sure this is true.

I don’t think fans care about new signing after new signing if they are confident in the manager and his ability to get the best out of the squad.

You can’t be surprised that there is a clamour for signings at the moment. Many Derby fans believe the players are not good enough and the players are holding us back. Many believe that Cocu needs his own players before he can achieve anything. So it is a vicious circle.

If the majority believed that Cocu could turn Whittaker into a game-changing winger or Marriott into a clinical striker, the transfer pages of this forum would be deserted.

With the right man at the helm, the clamour for transfers doesn’t ordinarily extend beyond one or two players unless you have just been promoted to the Premier League and need to revamp the squad.

Back in 2014 after the Wembley heartache, the only player we wanted was George Thorne because we were happy with McClaren, how the team was being handled, and wanted to keep the team together so it could blossom.

At times during that season, news of a new signing was actually met with outward disappointment and frustration.

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

Hilarious if true. Certainly true of Rowett and Lampard.

Some are very quick to blame Mel for our recent managerial merry-go round but I think with the last 3 he has genuinely tried to make long-term appointments... just typical Derby luck the previous 2 got their heads turned after a solitary season

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I agree with you to an extent mate. I'd happily sign a left back, another winger and a striker now. Then moving forward we wouldn't need to strengthen to this extent in every window. Need a squad that stays together.

Agreed - And at the core of that is having a manager who sticks around

27 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Back in 2014 after the Wembley heartache, the only player we wanted was George Thorne because we were happy with McClaren, how the team was being handled, and wanted to keep the team together so it could blossom.

True - But you have to remember that squad was pretty much assembled over 7 years by Nigel - Macca added one or two but the basis of that squad was already in place when he arrived

Cocu hasn't had that luxury - He's building more from scratch - Teaching a team some discipline and organisation is one thing but attacking flair and creativity isn't something which can be coached into players and that's what we're missing

26 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Some are very quick to blame Mel for our recent managerial merry-go round but I think with the last 3 he has genuinely tried to make long-term appointments... just typical Derby luck the previous 2 got their heads turned after a solitary season

As much as I hated the football we played I think Rowett left for more 'noble' reasons - He said after leaving that living near Derby and with his lad being a big Derby fan it was hard on the family when we lost - Sounds like his family didn't really like the attention and pressure of being constantly surrounded by 'work related tension' and that was part of the reason he left - I don't blame him for that at all

21 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

As much as I hated the football we played I think Rowett left for more 'noble' reasons - He said after leaving that living near Derby and with his lad being a big Derby fan it was hard on the family when we lost - Sounds like his family didn't really like the attention and pressure of being constantly surrounded by 'work related tension' and that was part of the reason he left - I don't blame him for that at all

His son got bullied when we lost. He got a lot of stick. They’re still a Derby supporting family tho 

5 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

I was at a match once where a certain Brian Clough presented Mr. Ian Storey Moore to ua as "Our latest signing".

Anyone else who was there that day can still picture the scene.

To anyone who wasn't I say...

Google it and see why managers keep shtum about transfers!

I was also there, I was also surprised when Storey Moore signed for Man Utd.

moral of the Storey....don’t count your chickens before their hatched?

Archived