Jordon Ibe - Signed on a 2 year deal

S8TY

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'd still happily take decent money for Lawrence and bring in a different replacement. If you're relying on Tom to perform consistently well, you'll likely be disappointed. 

Could say that about a lot of our players...at least Lawrence has a reasonable goal record for us...

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'd still happily take decent money for Lawrence and bring in a different replacement. If you're relying on Tom to perform consistently well, you'll likely be disappointed. 

It's the reason he's still with us in fairness. He's scored 31 goals in the last four seasons at this level, when you consider what most other wingers are putting out at this level then he's arguably one of the most consistent in the division - for at least putting the ball in the net. 

Ejaria was excellent against us last weekend, after his £3.5m move in the summer. He had three goals in nearly 36 games last season. Jed Wallace is one that comes to mind, with a similar output to Lawrence, but you're not going to get him for anything less than £8m. 

You could cut ties with Tom in the hope of finding a more consistent performer, but we were spoilt with Tom Ince at his best (10+ goals a season) and yet he wasn't consistent enough for some people. Jarrod Bowen is the only other sure thing that comes to mind. Jozwiak is probably going to be another 1 in 4 player, simply as that's the nature of the position. You very rarely get any championship winger who is considered anything more than a 1 in 4 player. At least Lawrence can win games on his own at times. 

56 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It's the reason he's still with us in fairness. He's scored 31 goals in the last four seasons at this level, when you consider what most other wingers are putting out at this level then he's arguably one of the most consistent in the division - for at least putting the ball in the net. 

Ejaria was excellent against us last weekend, after his £3.5m move in the summer. He had three goals in nearly 36 games last season. Jed Wallace is one that comes to mind, with a similar output to Lawrence, but you're not going to get him for anything less than £8m. 

You could cut ties with Tom in the hope of finding a more consistent performer, but we were spoilt with Tom Ince at his best (10+ goals a season) and yet he wasn't consistent enough for some people. Jarrod Bowen is the only other sure thing that comes to mind. Jozwiak is probably going to be another 1 in 4 player, simply as that's the nature of the position. You very rarely get any championship winger who is considered anything more than a 1 in 4 player. At least Lawrence can win games on his own at times. 

For me it's partly about performance levels but it's mainly after the night at the Joiners I would much prefer he wasn't at the club.

Let me just say first and foremost that I would very much like us to sign Jordan Ibe.... however.... What concerns me with all of this is why he is still scratching around for a club when......

firstly; the season has already started?

secondly; his contract ran out months ago?

The fact we haven’t jumped all over this and got a very skilful and potentially valuable player through the door post haste for £0.00 transfer fee leads me to believe there is an underlying issue here. 

21 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Let me just say first and foremost that I would very much like us to sign Jordan Ibe.... however.... What concerns me with all of this is why he is still scratching around for a club when......

The fact we haven’t jumped all over this and got a very skilful and potentially valuable player through the door post haste for £0.00 transfer fee leads me to believe there is an underlying issue here. 

My concern is, its Thursday and we haven't had a credible link with a striker yet and Ibe seems to have taken the attention away.

Radio Derby made it sound like deals were going to happen this week, all that has happened is the most obvious signing we were going to make (great signing though.

The Ibe thing I find strange. Radio Derby reported it, Steve Nicholson didnt say "wide of the mark", Pete O'Rourke who is fairly reputable reported it, so strange for saying it is no where near close? 

I'm hoping something happens today because our absolute lack of attacking intent is still going to be in full swing at Luton.

28 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

It's a fair point and one which probably needs considering

On the other hand he's probably been pitching himself at a Premier League return - If he considers his time at Bournemouth to mostly have suffered for personal reasons he would still think his skills are worth a spot in a PL squad - So he might only just have started considering championship offers

We're also only just coming out of a transfer embargo meaning we might have only made contact recently - And I would imagine if he started considering that his agent would pitch him out to other championship clubs too

I can only echo the sentiments of other posters are here. We are more than half way through September without having any credible forwards linked to coming into the club never mind actually bringing any players in.

Although we got the correct outcome with Jozwiak the entire process of him signing was protracted at the best.

I really hope that were not going to be doing another Jamie Paterson and settle for someone out of desperation and take the sheen of all the good work we've done with securing Jozwiaks services. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

I can only echo the sentiments of other posters are here. We are more than half way through September without having any credible forwards linked to coming into the club never mind actually bringing any players in.

Although we got the correct outcome with Jozwiak the entire process of him signing was protracted at the best.

I really hope that were not going to be doing another Jamie Paterson and settle for someone out of desperation and take the sheen of all the good work we've done with securing Jozwiaks services. 

Yeah it took a while as we wanted him in January, along with Te Wierik.

That's football for you. So many factors which are not in buying club's hands.

59 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

My concern is, its Thursday and we haven't had a credible link with a striker yet and Ibe seems to have taken the attention away.

Radio Derby made it sound like deals were going to happen this week, all that has happened is the most obvious signing we were going to make (great signing though.

The Ibe thing I find strange. Radio Derby reported it, Steve Nicholson didnt say "wide of the mark", Pete O'Rourke who is fairly reputable reported it, so strange for saying it is no where near close? 

I'm hoping something happens today because our absolute lack of attacking intent is still going to be in full swing at Luton.

I think it'll improve marginally at Luton. Rooney back in midfield next to Bird and Sibley in his best position Infront of the CDMs. 

Front 3 of Knight, Marriott and Jozwiak. Should be a lot better.

20 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Dude - Everyone else has had month to work on this and we've had about 4 weeks - We were under a transfer embargo - Any conversations about buying players would have been laughed off by the selling club cos we couldn't guarantee when we could finalise and the players would have the same attitude - Especially if the player was valued enough that he might be sold to someone else instead

That plus in the last couple of years we've tried to keep transfers under wraps until the last minute - 'links' in recent years have mostly been agent-created newspaper talk on players we have no interest in and we're being used to try and drive a price up / get better wages for a guy signing somewhere else

We all know we need more creativity - We all know we'd like another striker - And from the comments so does Cocu - Have patience 

Archived