David Marshall - Signed on a 2 year deal

Animal is a Ram

6 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

No the DET have only regurgitated the article in the Sun.

I've read he's signing a 2 year deal from a reporter at BBC Scotland.

So strange that we find out about signings and the length of contract from other media outlets before our own. 

When was the last time they broke a story?

When we signed Junior?

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

No the DET have only regurgitated the article in the Sun.

I've read he's signing a 2 year deal from a reporter at BBC Scotland.

So strange that we find out about signings and the length of contract from other media outlets before our own. 

When was the last time they broke a story?

They break stories all the time , sorry I meant my internet browser with the amount of adverts !

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I would’ve liked Darlow. He would fit the profile of the player I’d like to see us go for in terms of a keeper. A decent record wherever he’s been, late 20s and a good distributor of the football.

I do think wages could be problematic though, plus he hasn’t played regular football in over two years. I’d be interested to see how he gets on for Birmingham, but could see him being a great signing.

What's the time?

It's five past Darlow.

42 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Hmmm... I’m struggling to get as excited about this one as others on here seem to be. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I rate Marshall as a goalie. He’s always been solid and dependable at this level, for many many years now. I’m just not sure he’s quite what we need. We should be looking to sign a goalkeeper who is a clear improvement on Roos and suits our style of play. I’m not convinced Marshall ticks all the boxes. He’s obviously better than Roos in certain areas, particularly his command of his area, but I’m not so sure he’s as good as Roos at playing out the back - which is obviously important in our system. 

Don’t want people to think I’m moaning too much so I will say this - I’ve got no problem with this transfer in principle. Marshall is undoubtedly a good goalkeeper who is definitely worth having within your squad, all the more so when the transfer fee is negligible and his wages look likely to be fairly low for a championship player. If he was coming in as backup I’d be delighted, but as the first choice he appears to be arriving as... I was hoping for someone a bit younger/ more modern in style. Hopefully he proves me wrong, at least we seem to be making moves in the market now. Getting a goalkeeper in will be one position sorted.

We don't need a sweeper keeper for our system, just a willingness to pass to a defender rather than a lump to the striker. Any half decent keeper is capable of that; there's nothing Marshall won't be able to do that Phillips (or any of our other targets) could.

The difference with an Ederson or Neuer may be noticeable but not at the level we're at...

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

Can only recall in January. 

Can only bring in a keeper on emergency loan if we have no available professional keepers, and we have about 6 on the books.

Roos, Marshall and..?

Carson will spend another season out at Man City. Mitchell is already out on loan. Ravas in this example will be our on loan as well.

I don’t think the U23s would count as they haven’t played a specific number of first team games yet. 

37 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Hmmm... I’m struggling to get as excited about this one as others on here seem to be. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I rate Marshall as a goalie. He’s always been solid and dependable at this level, for many many years now. I’m just not sure he’s quite what we need. We should be looking to sign a goalkeeper who is a clear improvement on Roos and suits our style of play. I’m not convinced Marshall ticks all the boxes. He’s obviously better than Roos in certain areas, particularly his command of his area, but I’m not so sure he’s as good as Roos at playing out the back - which is obviously important in our system. 

Don’t want people to think I’m moaning too much so I will say this - I’ve got no problem with this transfer in principle. Marshall is undoubtedly a good goalkeeper who is definitely worth having within your squad, all the more so when the transfer fee is negligible and his wages look likely to be fairly low for a championship player. If he was coming in as backup I’d be delighted, but as the first choice he appears to be arriving as... I was hoping for someone a bit younger/ more modern in style. Hopefully he proves me wrong, at least we seem to be making moves in the market now. Getting a goalkeeper in will be one position sorted.

I think its about getting what we need, and getting the finance balance right. We will get an international keeper for peanuts due to his age and probably will be on a third of the wages Carson gets. This deal will free up more of the clubs finances for a much needed centreback and right winger. fans are moaning about the age, I remind everyone that Peter Shilton was just 3 months shy of his 41st birthday when he played his last match for England in 1990 at the World Cup match against Italy for the 3rd place spot. Its going to strengthen the team with him in the sticks. Lets hope the deal goes through, giving the scouts/management time to concentrate on bringing in the positions which we need to improve the team.

8 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

We don't need a sweeper keeper for our system, just a willingness to pass to a defender rather than a lump to the striker. Any half decent keeper is capable of that; there's nothing Marshall won't be able to do that Phillips (or any of our other targets) could.

The difference with an Ederson or Neuer may be noticeable but not at the level we're at...

I’m not so sure it’s as simple as it sounds though. You need your goalkeeper to be a reliable option to pass to while we’re playing out the back - so he needs to be able to revive the ball under pressure, and pass it quickly and accurately. It’ll mainly be short passes so it should be basic stuff really, but it does require a lot of focus and some goalies seem incapable of it (I’m looking at you Hamer). I hope Marshall is capable of it, but I’m not sure. That said, he’s never really played anywhere where his distribution skills would really be tested, so maybe he’s got it in his locker and hasn’t shown it yet?

I’m really chuffed with this. One of the best keepers in the championship last season. Seemingly not going to break the bank. Absolute improvement on Hamer and Roos. And at 35 years old has a good few years left.

I seem to recall Edwin Van Der Sar being in the Premier League PFA team of the season at the age of 36, 37 and 40. I’m not saying DM is as good as he was - but merely trying to support the view that 35 is no age for a goalkeeper.

18 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Think you’re underplaying that a bit

I joker earlier in the thread but the difference in Grant’s playing out from the back when compared to Butland and Carson was stark. 

Not watched him in years but he was one of the best ‘keepers in Europe during Cardiff’s stint in the Premier under Malky Mackay

I always feel like your goalkeeping coach has a major influence on how good your ‘keeper is as well though and little things have given me doubts about Given 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53700097

Marshall has a year left on his deal at Wigan, who went into administration on 1 July and were relegated to League One following a 12-point deduction.

The 35-year-old has started all but one of Steve Clarke's eight games in charge of Scotland.

"The administrators will now have to make big decisions," said Marshall.

"They were keen to stress that players would have to go simply for the benefit of the club.

"Everybody wants to play at the highest level. It's out of your hands, but there are a lot of lads there who feel they did enough to be at least Championship players.

"I would love to get to the stage again where you're competing at the top of the Championship. I had that for so long in my career in England."

Archived