David Marshall - Signed on a 2 year deal

Animal is a Ram

I don't get it. Our fans have been moaning about Roos and Hamer all season (myself included) but now we want to sign a pretty solid keeper at this level people are moaning? It seems clear to me that we don't have much money to spend, so this seems like an intelligent signing.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If as others have mentioned Ravas is going to make the step up potentially in the next couple of years then this would be a cracking signing. Still class at this level!

To be honest I’d equally prefer Carson to come back as number 1 as they are very similar but it must be wages that’s all i can think of.

Just now, Andicis said:

I don't get it. Our fans have been moaning about Roos and Hamer all season (myself included) but now we want to sign a pretty solid keeper at this level are moaning? It seems clear to me that we don't have much money to spend, so this seems like an intelligent signing.

It's the sort of signing Jim Smith might have made when he first took over. 

Just now, Andicis said:

I don't get it. Our fans have been moaning about Roos and Hamer all season (myself included) but now we want to sign a pretty solid keeper at this level are moaning? It seems clear to me that we don't have much money to spend, so this seems like an intelligent signing.

I agree , he has arguably the best record in the championship this season and will be on low wages and will cost next to nothing to either free money up for other positions ie a winger or will put less stress on us financially,  this can only be seen as a positive signing 

1 hour ago, TomG said:

I wonder how many of the people who think that David Marshall is too old, think we should get Scott Carson back from Man City?  The reason I ask is that David Marshall is only 6 months older than Scott Carson....just sayin'.

He also played 30+ games last season. Did Carson play 30+ minutes?

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I don't get it. Our fans have been moaning about Roos and Hamer all season (myself included) but now we want to sign a pretty solid keeper at this level people are moaning? It seems clear to me that we don't have much money to spend, so this seems like an intelligent signing.

To be fair, not many people are moaning. 

25 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

That's the chance you take. Ravas is still only 23 so wouldn't be expected to come into his prime for at least another 2-3 years and if he doesn't come up to the standard we are looking for then we're back to square one. 

Unless we get promoted in that time (big 'if'); Phillips isn't necessarily Prem-quality and so his more expensive signing may be more of a financial hindrance if we then need to upgrade again to someone better equipped to play at a higher level? 

Great signing if it comes off. Will be an experienced voice behind the back 4, and I won’t be sh****** myself every time the ball goes near him.

He’s a youngster in goalkeeping terms, Shilts was 47 when he retired.

Hats off to the recruitment team if true.........it’s not often you can say that.?

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Understand where you're coming from mate.

But what's to say that Ravas (who is only 2/3 years younger than Phillips) won't be a better keeper than Phillips?

Imperative that Ravas goes out and gets games at league one level really. 

See what he's made of. See how good he is. 

If he goes and has a good season he could come back here and be number one.

If not, we'll still get another season out of Marshall.

Plus don't underestimate how much his experience will impact the back 4.

Your last line sums it up for me, we lost that experience in the back 4 for most of last season..... regaining that experience is vital for me. This is a good signing. I remember some on here kicking off when Carson signed..... people can’t wait to knock and know best.

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Your last line sums it up for me, we lost that experience in the back 4 for most of last season..... regaining that experience is vital for me. This is a good signing. I remember some on here kicking off when Carson signed..... people can’t wait to knock and know best.

Don't see anyone knocking Marshall or saying he's a poor keeper - the main concern appears to be with his age. Carson was 6 years younger than Marshall is now when he joined Derby.

7 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Don't see anyone knocking Marshall or saying he's a poor keeper - the main concern appears to be with his age. Carson was 6 years younger than Marshall is now when he joined Derby.

I made the mistake of reading twitter as always. You’d think I’d learn at age 40 

2 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

If we sign Marshall then I'd get Ravas out on loan for a season. 

Have Marshall as number one and Roos as number 2. 

Could put a 24 hour recall clause on any loan deal for Ravas (although I'm pretty sure if one keeper got injured we'd be allowed an emergency loan?)

Ravas is 23 now. He needs to go and get games ready to come back here to be number one. 

Look at goalkeepers like Pope, Pickford, Henderson etc. All have gone out and got loans and have improved no end and have either established themselves at their club or moved on for a big fee. Nick Pope for example when he was Ravas's age he was signing for Burnley.

Can only recall in January. 

Can only bring in a keeper on emergency loan if we have no available professional keepers, and we have about 6 on the books.

Archived