David Marshall - Signed on a 2 year deal

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard this a month ago and thought it could be a good deal. His form after Christmas when Wigan had their resurgence was top notch. Fits the bill in terms of quality, experience and can't see him being too expensive (wages and Wigan's situation). 

1 minute ago, inter politics said:

Ideally, I'd prefer someone younger too but if it means we can spend more on a creative wide player and centre half, then I'd be fine with this.

Agreed. With Covid & FFP we probably won’t have a huge deal of spending room this year. If it came down to choosing between our GK or wide areas, I’d choose the latter. If we can still improve our keeper whilst keeping money for other areas then it’s a bonus.

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Who then

That ain’t my job. But if you’re going off who we are linked with then Phillips would be a much better option. This is the type of signing you’d make when you’re one player away from winning something, which we aren’t. We should be looking long term and resale value. 

I wonder how many of the people who think that David Marshall is too old, think we should get Scott Carson back from Man City?  The reason I ask is that David Marshall is only 6 months older than Scott Carson....just sayin'.

Just now, TomG said:

I wonder how many of the people who think that David Marshall is too old, think we should get Scott Carson back from Man City?  The reason I ask is that David Marshall is only 6 months older than Scott Carson....just sayin'.

Carson shouldn’t play for us again either. ??‍♂️

Wigan need his wages off their books.  Nominal fee, few hundred thousand at most. Good experience will help our younger keepers and defence. I don’t see this as being a bad move. As others have said, makes sense and allows us to focus fully on wide players and centre back

5 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I wonder if we have been waiting on Joe Hart to make a decision, funny that this comes out the day Hart signs for Spurs.

It is still Nixon, so take it for what it is. 

If we sign Marshall then I'd get Ravas out on loan for a season. 

Have Marshall as number one and Roos as number 2. 

Could put a 24 hour recall clause on any loan deal for Ravas (although I'm pretty sure if one keeper got injured we'd be allowed an emergency loan?)

Ravas is 23 now. He needs to go and get games ready to come back here to be number one. 

Look at goalkeepers like Pope, Pickford, Henderson etc. All have gone out and got loans and have improved no end and have either established themselves at their club or moved on for a big fee. Nick Pope for example when he was Ravas's age he was signing for Burnley.

Archived