David Marshall - Signed on a 2 year deal

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

It's perhaps a bit short term but what we have desperately needed is an experienced keeper that helps the defence

He at least ticks that box. 

That's the thing I'm not completely sold on yet. A keeper who is panicky in possession will cause chaos in defence even if he's other wise a safe pair of hands, given how we play.

19 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Understand where you're coming from mate.

But what's to say that Ravas (who is only 2/3 years younger than Phillips) won't be a better keeper than Phillips?

Imperative that Ravas goes out and gets games at league one level really. 

See what he's made of. See how good he is. 

If he goes and has a good season he could come back here and be number one.

If not, we'll still get another season out of Marshall.

Plus don't underestimate how much his experience will impact the back 4.

and for those that say this is a pipe dream 

Rodak did the exact same with Fulham - went out on loan - came back and won number one spot 

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

The question I've got is does it actually improve us though ? 

I worry it feels like we are signing an old player who doesn't fit how we want to play. Trading some of Roos' negative qualities for a keeper who will cause issues in other areas. 

I really hope I'm wrong on this one but I can envision it being worked back through the keeper (like it has to occasionally) and him either being hesitant allowing the opposition to mark and/or booting it out of play.

He’s a better keeper than Roos, always will be. Between him & Carson there’s probably not an awful lot in it, but he’s just played a full season of football whereas Carson hasn’t played for a season and a half, so I’d lean more towards Marshall. He’s also going to cost us less and free up wages to focus on other areas of the squad. I think saying Marshall wouldn’t improve the ability of this team is either understating his ability, or overstating our current keepers’ abilities.

If the question was “is he the best upgrade we could get?” then no, I highly doubt he is. But all things considered, it’s better than anything we’ve got.

To be honest, things are eerily silent on the transfer front, leading to speculation about the EFL charge, so I’m just happy our recruitment team are still active in some way. The signing of Marshall wouldn’t excite me massively or transform the team, but it would improve my confidence in having a more stable back line next year.

One of the biggest strengths Marshall could being would be a calmness to our back line. We saw with Hamer last year that he didn’t exactly communicate well at times (eg shouting at young Buchanan when he needed encouraging). Marshall could inspire our younger players and be another captain on the field

A few seasons ago when we were spending lots of money this would be viewed as a negative signing.

however, in our current position he is exactly what we need. He’s a leader, has vast experience and had a decent season in goal last year. 

He would be cheap and at 35 a couple years of his service could give us time to get the funds to add more class. Also let’s the money we do have be spent in other more important areas.

Again, as long as Cocu is happy with the signing so am i, UTR...

Really, what other keepers have we been linked with?

Tentative link to Joe Hart - he’s gone to Spurs on 50k a week.

Dillon Phillips would require a fee and even then, would probably have a queue of interested Championship teams and go to the highest bidder.

Then other than a brief link to Zack Steffan at City, who was unrealistic to say the least, and now possibly City’s second keeper with Bravo leaving, even more unrealistic.

There’s not a huge number of goalkeepers readily available. Improve the team and leave resources spare for other urgent areas. It’s only a short-term fix, but still surely beneficial to the squad and the club.

This is a good signing imo. Allows us to focus on other areas of the squad (centre half and winger need desperately addressing). Allows us to send Carson back to city which saves us wages and we get a loan fee. That can be spent on a loan fee for a winger or Clarke. Or alternatively bringing Naby Sarr in on a free 

Exactly the kind of keeper we need. As someone said earlier in the thread we're not looking for our keeper to ping 40 yarders, merely to recycle the ball. 

Loads of experience and can massively help the youngsters in front of him.

Top keeper at this level and no reason he can't continue to be for a while yet.

A big yes from me

Marshall as number one with Ravas getting cup games etc would be a decent pair for the season. If they rate Ravas highly enough there's no point trying for another teams young keeper. 

Plus positive, Marshall isn't going to expect to play every week, ideal environment for younger keeper to thrive without the pressure of being the only keeper. 

Archived