David Marshall - Signed on a 2 year deal

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

The thought of what the tribunal may or may not do and the effect's of virus on football maybe just the sobering wake up call we have been needing. 

We are finally thinking logical as to what our team 'actually' needs 'within the parameter of what we can afford'.

Hopefully no more scattergun signings of players with no idea of where their going to play or what system, on artificially inflated fees and long term contracts. 

We have in past we  made too many noises about signing before they were in the 'bag' leading to us into an action where we actually lose our target or end paying way over odds for players. 

People have seen us coming from a mile of with pockets full of money and have happily relieved us of it, smiling all the way to the bank.

We have finally seem to have learn't lesson, 'buy for the position you really need, negiogate without 'fanfare' and only disclose signings went they are completed.  

This was was perfectly done with Marshall signing. Well done to all involved.

This is the bit I'm yet to be convinced by. It still feels a little to me like signing a known championship quantity without really thinking about whether they are a good fit. It's a road we've been down before plenty and we've even arguably done it with keepers before when we signed Carson whilst still having Grant. Carson was the better keeper in some respects than Grant but he really wasn't comfortable playing out from the back. In Lampards season it was not a surprise that when Roos was brought in our general play improved.

With all that said by all accounts Marshall is a big a step up in a lot of areas over what we had last year and as far as I can tell he's never played in a team that's needed him to play out much. So I do hope his ability on the ball is good enough not to hinder what we are trying to do. 

24 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

This is the bit I'm yet to be convinced by. It still feels a little to me like signing a known championship quantity without really thinking about whether they are a good fit. It's a road we've been down before plenty and we've even arguably done it with keepers before when we signed Carson whilst still having Grant. Carson was the better keeper in some respects than Grant but he really wasn't comfortable playing out from the back. In Lampards season it was not a surprise that when Roos was brought in our general play improved.

With all that said by all accounts Marshall is a big a step up in a lot of areas over what we had last year and as far as I can tell he's never played in a team that's needed him to play out much. So I do hope his ability on the ball is good enough not to hinder what we are trying to do. 

He’s much better than what we have simple as that 

11 minutes ago, S8TY said:

I wouldn't go as far as much better. I'd be happy with roos. Fans are just quick to jump on him because of the mistake at Wembley and entirely blame him for our dreadful defending of corners in the first half of the season. Under Lampard we saw a fantastic keeper and never questioned his ability. I just don't get the Marshall signing as it's a complete contradiction to what we're trying to build under cocu.

7 minutes ago, S8TY said:

He might well be a better overall keeper than Roos but it's not exactly what I'm concerned about. People were saying similar things when we were brought back Shackell and he crippled our ability to play out from the back.

In order to not hinder our way of planning the keeper needs to be comfortable receiving the ball and quickly finding another player. They don't need to be able to do anything too fancy but the bottom line is they need to be competent in possession or else it will cause problems.

Can Marshall do that ? He's not known for it and he's not (as far as I can tell) had to do it previously. And that's what concerns me. I just can't help but feel with a bit better scouting we could have someone who would be a good step forward and a good fit. 

I really hope I'm wrong though, that he's been thoroughly scouted and that the scouts have identified he can do it.

3 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

It’s actually quite grim how much hate Roos gets, he’s a decent keeper and a more than adequate number 2, good at playing out from the back too.

I don't hate him. I just don't think he's good enough or ever will be good enough to be a Championship keeper. I'd rather us have a young keeper as our No.2 who can step in where required.

7 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

I don't hate him. I just don't think he's good enough or ever will be good enough to be a Championship keeper. I'd rather us have a young keeper as our No.2 who can step in where required.

Until the young keeper has to step in, makes a mistake and gets hung drawn and quartered on here... 

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

I wouldn't go as far as much better. I'd be happy with roos. Fans are just quick to jump on him because of the mistake at Wembley and entirely blame him for our dreadful defending of corners in the first half of the season. Under Lampard we saw a fantastic keeper and never questioned his ability. I just don't get the Marshall signing as it's a complete contradiction to what we're trying to build under cocu.

We need experience through the spine, he will provide that. The players in front of him, especially the full backs are inexperienced. If we sign a young cb and play Bielik, then this signing makes total sense to me. 

23 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

We need experience through the spine, he will provide that.

I agree we need more experience, but there needs to be that balance. Signing a player around the age of 25 would be ideal so we can have a team that grows and gets promoted together. I thought that was the point. We can't just have half the team under 20 and the other half over 30

Archived