David Marshall - Signed on a 2 year deal

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, angieram said:

Marshall will be a solid signing but I do feel sorry for Wigan fans watching their best players get picked off. They don't deserve it. 

Keiffer Moore (Cardiff), Joe Gelhardt (Leeds), Alfie Devine (Spurs), Jensen Weir (Brighton) and Daniel Gyollai (Peterborough) sold already.

Out-of-contract Leon Balogun (Rangers), Chey Dunkley (Sheffield Wednesday) and Lewis Macleod (Plymouth) have also gone while manager Paul Cook resigned.

Total cull.

The thought of what the tribunal may or may not do and the effect's of virus on football maybe just the sobering wake up call we have been needing. 

We are finally thinking logical as to what our team 'actually' needs 'within the parameter of what we can afford'.

Hopefully no more scattergun signings of players with no idea of where their going to play or what system, on artificially inflated fees and long term contracts. 

We have in past we  made too many noises about signing before they were in the 'bag' leading to us into an action where we actually lose our target or end paying way over odds for players. 

People have seen us coming from a mile of with pockets full of money and have happily relieved us of it, smiling all the way to the bank.

We have finally seem to have learn't lesson, 'buy for the position you really need, negiogate without 'fanfare' and only disclose signings went they are completed.  

This was was perfectly done with Marshall signing. Well done to all involved.

7 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

image.png.86d46a7562c61ba62de32fcca82465a7.png

WTF!!!

Just look at the way he can catch a ball using only the fingertips of one hand. It's almost like his mitts are made of superglue. He can even do it while giving a seriously decent 1,000 yard stare, so we know the lad can multi-task too.

It's a big, old 'YES' from me.

That would have counted as a punch clear by Hamer standards

10 hours ago, Srg said:

Don’t get this want of a winger who gets to the byline to stand balls up. We’ve not had a target man to score headers in close to 10 years at this point. 

It's not just about staying wide to put crosses in, it's about making the pitch big, to create spaces for the midfield to play through.  They don't have to stay wide all the time, they just need to do it often enough that the other team have to set up to deal with it. 

When we have Lawrence and Waghorn as wingers, they spend the entire time driving infield, and the centre of the pitch just gets congested.  The only width comes from the fullbacks, and having 2 wingers drifting inside doesn't help them overlap either - Bogle plays the ball into Waghorn's feet, goes for the overlap and Waghorn has dropped his shoulder and is dribbling towards goal, running away from Bogle etc.

4 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

It's not just about staying wide to put crosses in, it's about making the pitch big, to create spaces for the midfield to play through.  They don't have to stay wide all the time, they just need to do it often enough that the other team have to set up to deal with it. 

When we have Lawrence and Waghorn as wingers, they spend the entire time driving infield, and the centre of the pitch just gets congested.  The only width comes from the fullbacks, and having 2 wingers drifting inside doesn't help them overlap either - Bogle plays the ball into Waghorn's feet, goes for the overlap and Waghorn has dropped his shoulder and is dribbling towards goal, running away from Bogle etc.

That's as much tactics as anything else. If Cocu wanted Lawrence to stand on the touch line, I think he would be able to manage it. Just end up with isolated strikers if done incorrectly, which until the emergence of Sibley, we wouldn't get anyone close to support centrally.

25 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

We shortened the width of Pride Park pitch after about 3 games last year, I'm not sure we want our wide players standing on the touch line. 

Weird signing because he’s better than we could have hoped for but absolutely not what I was expecting. But whichever way you look at it, we’ve upgraded at GK significantly for next season.

The context of the rest of the window will decide if this is a good signing. Cheap veteran signings at the tail end of their career can be really good bits of business in moderation, you get into trouble when you pull the trigger on a bunch of OAP’s.

There’s a fine balancing act between finding value and flooding the squad with over 30’s, as we saw when Rowett decided to pull the trigger on Davies, Huddlestone, Ledley and Jerome. How much return have we seen from those signings? Sweet FA which is part of why we’re bargain hunting.

Can’t complain in the context of the pandemic/recession, he’ll improve us but we need to bring the age of the squad down in other areas. I have full faith that’s what Cocu and the scouting department are thinking too.

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

Weird signing because he’s better than we could have hoped for but absolutely not what I was expecting. But whichever way you look at it, we’ve upgraded at GK significantly for next season.

The context of the rest of the window will decide if this is a good signing. Cheap veteran signings at the tail end of their career can be really good bits of business in moderation, you get into trouble when you pull the trigger on a bunch of OAP’s.

There’s a fine balancing act between finding value and flooding the squad with over 30’s, as we saw when Rowett decided to pull the trigger on Davies, Huddlestone, Ledley and Jerome. How much return have we seen from those signings? Sweet FA which is part of why we’re bargain hunting.

Can’t complain in the context of the pandemic/recession, he’ll improve us but we need to bring the age of the squad down in other areas. I have full faith that’s what Cocu and the scouting department are thinking too.

Hmm... Which areas do you mean? Rooney? Wisdom? Waggy?

Marshall 35

Bogle 20

Wisdom 27

Bielik 22

Lowe 23

Rooney 34

Bird 19

Holmes 25

Sibley 18

Knight 19

Waghorn 30

14 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Roos, Marshall and..?

Carson will spend another season out at Man City. Mitchell is already out on loan. Ravas in this example will be our on loan as well.

I don’t think the U23s would count as they haven’t played a specific number of first team games yet. 

Every player with a full time contract counts. There is no games requirement. 

Roos, Ravas, Carson (currently, but probably replaced by Marshall), Yates, Foster, Halwax.

11 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Hmm... Which areas do you mean? Rooney? Wisdom? Waggy?

Marshall 35

Bogle 20

Wisdom 27

Bielik 22

Lowe 23

Rooney 34

Bird 19

Holmes 25

Sibley 18

Knight 19

Waghorn 30

Okay, maybe ‘bring down’ the age of the squad was the wrong phrasing. Maintain the youth of the squad is more appropriate. But we’re only really young at positions we’re not looking to add to this window (full-back, DM, CAM)

Equally it’s a bit cheeky of you to add Knight and Holmes to that squad as our wingers when I doubt they’ll be starting there next season.

So let’s say we sign 3/4 more players (optimistic)

Seeing as we have two wingers right now, Lawrence (26) and Jozefzoon (29), our next signings will drastically change what the average age of that position group is.

Sign two players over 30, that’s an old position group. Sign two players below 25, it’s a young position group.

Similar at striker: Waghorn (30) and Marriott (25, turns 26 in Sept). Signing over 30 leaves that department old.

CB: Davies (34), Te Wierik (28), Wisdom (27), maybe Bielik (22)

Can you see I’m saying that in the areas we’ll be looking to improve, the average age is at a tipping point? It could be very tempting to fill the squad with ageing bargains and significantly raise the average age of the squad.

Would you be happy if Lawrence and Marriott were the youngest at their position?

10 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Can you see I’m saying that in the areas we’ll be looking to improve, the average age is at a tipping point? 

Sign the quality the position needs! Plus you've got to take into account that age might be less important if there's a youngster or two looking to break through in a year or two ie keeper slot? Plus, plus it depends on the contract length and cost!

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

Okay, maybe ‘bring down’ the age of the squad was the wrong phrasing. Maintain the youth of the squad is more appropriate. But we’re only really young at positions we’re not looking to add to this window (full-back, DM, CAM)

Equally it’s a bit cheeky of you to add Knight and Holmes to that squad as our wingers when I doubt they’ll be starting there next season.

So let’s say we sign 3/4 more players (optimistic)

Seeing as we have two wingers right now, Lawrence (26) and Jozefzoon (29), our next signings will drastically change what the average age of that position group is.

Sign two players over 30, that’s an old position group. Sign two players below 25, it’s a young position group.

Similar at striker: Waghorn (30) and Marriott (25, turns 26 in Sept). Signing over 30 leaves that department old.

CB: Davies (34), Te Wierik (28), Wisdom (27), maybe Bielik (22)

Can you see I’m saying that in the areas we’ll be looking to improve, the average age is at a tipping point? It could be very tempting to fill the squad with ageing bargains and significantly raise the average age of the squad.

Would you be happy if Lawrence and Marriott were the youngest at their position?

Good response. 

Firstly, I don't think it's cheeky at all to have Holmes and Knight as a wingers. Both played lot there and Knight more and more towards the end of the season. If you replace Holmes and Lawrence, there's only year in difference. Josefzoon is as good as gone, we just need to find him a new start.

Good target men tend to have bit experience, as do CB's so I'm not worried at all if we have some experience in those positions. Also, our squad age seems quite low at the moment, so I certainly wouldn't mind to have players who are "ready" as a players, aged about 27-29. To compare to normal team structure, we seem to have a gap between youngsters and Rooney and soon Marshall.

I do worry, if Lawrence and Marriott were the youngest at their position. It tells me we haven't managed to get rid of Lawrence and have loaned Hector-Ingram.

Archived