David Marshall - Signed on a 2 year deal

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're not going to find a better keeper in this country for the rumoured cost. 

Yes he's older than I'd like but he'd give us two years to let Ravas develop or sort something else out. Only downside is he isn't the fabled ball player keeper, but how many of those are there out there and what do they cost. 

It's win, win.......we get one of the divisions better keepers for a modest amount allowing us to direct funds to other areas of the team!

Oh and Roos who is actually a decent keeper (despite what some of our fans think) will probably be his backup, so that area looks good if this comes off!

14 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Soon be old enough to play in goals for the Rams...?

Them days have set sail long ago...... 

Perfectly decent signing if it happens - money saved on transfer fees - modest salary by our more stupid standards in recent years 

as a side note was he the ‘Marshall’ in goal for Norwich when won there a few years back 1-2 and there was some suggestions that match fixing took place ? ( never proved) 

Hmmm... I’m struggling to get as excited about this one as others on here seem to be. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I rate Marshall as a goalie. He’s always been solid and dependable at this level, for many many years now. I’m just not sure he’s quite what we need. We should be looking to sign a goalkeeper who is a clear improvement on Roos and suits our style of play. I’m not convinced Marshall ticks all the boxes. He’s obviously better than Roos in certain areas, particularly his command of his area, but I’m not so sure he’s as good as Roos at playing out the back - which is obviously important in our system. 

Don’t want people to think I’m moaning too much so I will say this - I’ve got no problem with this transfer in principle. Marshall is undoubtedly a good goalkeeper who is definitely worth having within your squad, all the more so when the transfer fee is negligible and his wages look likely to be fairly low for a championship player. If he was coming in as backup I’d be delighted, but as the first choice he appears to be arriving as... I was hoping for someone a bit younger/ more modern in style. Hopefully he proves me wrong, at least we seem to be making moves in the market now. Getting a goalkeeper in will be one position sorted.

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

as a side note was he the ‘Marshall’ in goal for Norwich when won there a few years back 1-2 and there was some suggestions that match fixing took place ? ( never proved) 

Norwich had an Andy Marshall who played in goal, you might be thinking of him?

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Perfectly decent signing if it happens - money saved on transfer fees - modest salary by our more stupid standards in recent years 

Was that when our keeper was sent off? was at that one...

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

As the DET said the Marshall link is "wide of the mark" yet?

No the DET have only regurgitated the article in the Sun.

I've read he's signing a 2 year deal from a reporter at BBC Scotland.

So strange that we find out about signings and the length of contract from other media outlets before our own. 

When was the last time they broke a story?

49 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Goalkeeper related, Karl Darlow is attracting interest from Birmingham 

another good keeper at this level and younger, wages probably to high though 

I would’ve liked Darlow. He would fit the profile of the player I’d like to see us go for in terms of a keeper. A decent record wherever he’s been, late 20s and a good distributor of the football.

I do think wages could be problematic though, plus he hasn’t played regular football in over two years. I’d be interested to see how he gets on for Birmingham, but could see him being a great signing.

Archived