David Marshall - Signed on a 2 year deal

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

David Marshall joining Derby in transfer from financially-crippled Wigan to get £12,000-a-week wages off bill - https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/12434606/Derby-transfer-david-marshall-wigan/

This looks done to me. Nixon is fairly hooked up in Wigan, so no reason to doubt him. 

As I said, I'd prefer a more progressive player but Marshall is a proven entity in this division. He had 15 clean sheets in 39 games last season and that's a really good record. It's more than Samba at Forest, Johnstone at WBA and could well be the best record in the Championship for a club's number one last season. Raya had 16 but played in 46 games. 

The age is obviously a worry, but we have Roos, Ravas and French.

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

He's been a very good keeper but at 35 it's not one I'd go for - at 25 years old Phillips suits our needs better. 

Unless we believe Ravas could be first team quality soon, which would mean Phillips blocks Ravas' path. Getting a season or 2 from a solid, experienced keeper while Ravas comes of age may be part of the attraction with Marshall?

6 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Unless we believe Ravas could be first team quality soon, which would mean Phillips blocks Ravas' path. Getting a season or 2 from a solid, experienced keeper while Ravas comes of age may be part of the attraction with Marshall?

That's the chance you take. Ravas is still only 23 so wouldn't be expected to come into his prime for at least another 2-3 years and if he doesn't come up to the standard we are looking for then we're back to square one. 

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

Always thought he’s an excellent keeper. That season at Cardiff in the PL in about 2014 was outstanding.

He would be an improvement for sure, but only for a year or two then we’re in the same position. As said, Dillon Phillips would be perfect for our needs, but obviously more costly in fee & wages.

I can’t say a Marshall is overly known for his ability to play out from the back, but I’m not overly concerned about that. We’re not a PL side, and we’re not going to be able to afford a keeper who has the attributes to fully match what Cocu wants.

If we sign a keeper that isn't competent playing out the back they will cause more issues than they solve given how we want to play. 

And at 35 if he's not competent at it then this signing will make zero sense to me as we might as well just keep Carson. 

To be fair I've not seen a huge amount of him to make a judgement call but on the face of it this doesn't seem the correct move for us.

12 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

He's been a very good keeper but at 35 it's not one I'd go for - at 25 years old Phillips suits our needs better. 

Understand where you're coming from mate.

But what's to say that Ravas (who is only 2/3 years younger than Phillips) won't be a better keeper than Phillips?

Imperative that Ravas goes out and gets games at league one level really. 

See what he's made of. See how good he is. 

If he goes and has a good season he could come back here and be number one.

If not, we'll still get another season out of Marshall.

Plus don't underestimate how much his experience will impact the back 4.

Would usually be hesitant to sign a player at this age, but DM is still such a good quality player at this level that it seems like a good idea, especially if the price is so low.

As others have said, I like the idea of getting two years out of him, possibly allowing Ravas to develop behind him.

7 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

If we sign a keeper that isn't competent playing out the back they will cause more issues than they solve given how we want to play. 

And at 35 if he's not competent at it then this signing will make zero sense to me as we might as well just keep Carson. 

To be fair I've not seen a huge amount of him to make a judgement call but on the face of it this doesn't seem the correct move for us.

If we send Carson out then we’ll be saving on wages. That’s the reason we got Hamer. There’s probably not a lot of difference between Carson & Marshall, but Marshall is still a better keeper than Roos.

Not my number one choice by any means, but we’re in this position so at least we’re starting to improve our squad in some way.

It's a yes from me. 

Ravas out on loan for a full season to get first team experience. Marshall as our first choice keeper this year with Roos as backup. 

He does all the things you need a keeper to do at this level. People talking about a need for our keeper to play out from the back - it's not like we're a team that requires Ederson passes. We require a keeper who can receive a pass from a centre back and find the other centre back or a full back with a short pass.

Marshall will be able to handle that. He can also catch a cross and stop a shot. Sign him up. 

10 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Except that Marshall is on at least half of Carson's wages

Maybe that's it but I can't help but feel this move feels a bit unimaginative and sideways. Like we've just googled "top championship keepers" and just plucked one that might be available without any consideration of their specific qualities and how they will fit in to how we play.

It's a mistake we've made all too often with scouting players.

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Maybe that's it but I can't help but feel this move feels a bit unimaginative and sideways. Like we've just googled "top championship keepers" and just plucked one that might be available without any consideration of their specific qualities and how they will fit in to how we play.

It's a mistake we've made all too often with scouting players.

It's perhaps a bit short term but what we have desperately needed is an experienced keeper that helps the defence. 

He at least ticks that box. 

Carson's last 30 Championship matches: 40 conceded, 5 clean sheets.
Marshall's last 30 Championship matches: 33 conceded, 13 clean sheets. 

Carson had a much better supporting cast too. I understand that Carson was incredible for the 17-18 season, but he wasn't the same keeper the year later and lost his spot to Roos. Marshall, who I do have reservations about simply due to age, at least comes in off the back of a extremely good season in a team many were convinced would struggle. 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

That ain’t my job. But if you’re going off who we are linked with then Phillips would be a much better option. This is the type of signing you’d make when you’re one player away from winning something, which we aren’t. We should be looking long term and resale value. 

you don't see many keepers at championship level with a massive resale value 

The only one I could see with good resale value is potentially Bettinelli @ Fulham but he wouldn't be cheap 

Phillips would still cost 6 figures and is unlikely to ever be more than a top championship keeper IMO 

4 minutes ago, Kernow said:

If we send Carson out then we’ll be saving on wages. That’s the reason we got Hamer. There’s probably not a lot of difference between Carson & Marshall, but Marshall is still a better keeper than Roos.

Not my number one choice by any means, but we’re in this position so at least we’re starting to improve our squad in some way.

The question I've got is does it actually improve us though ? 

I worry it feels like we are signing an old player who doesn't fit how we want to play. Trading some of Roos' negative qualities for a keeper who will cause issues in other areas. 

I really hope I'm wrong on this one but I can envision it being worked back through the keeper (like it has to occasionally) and him either being hesitant allowing the opposition to mark and/or booting it out of play.

Archived