David Marshall - Signed on a 2 year deal

Animal is a Ram

7 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

If we want to go anywhere next season it's imperative that Evans and most importantly Forsyth are kept as far away from playing centre half as possible.

If they're our only 4 CB options next season then we've got a problem.

There's a reason we want Clarke back.

We need at least a CB, Winger and a CF

I’d be happy with three wingers/inside forwards. Evans has played his best football in a Derby shirt at CB, plus we have Dutch Mike, Wisdom, Davies and Buchanan. It would be good to get a CB in, of course, but we have Lawrence out wide that looks natural. The rest of the time we’re playing people out of position. Waghorn, Rooney, Marriott and Whittaker can manage for the one position upfront. 

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I agree, but I’ve seen plenty of goalies struggle with it, particularly in terms of passing quickly enough. The amount of time Hamer dwelled on the ball last season made me have a fit at times. Marshall is obviously a much better goalie all round than Hamer mind, so hopefully he’ll be better in that department too. I do wonder whether the goalkeeper coach plays a major role as well though?

On your second point, I hope you’re right. I’ve just lost a lot of faith in our recruitment team bringing in players suited to our style of play after some of our disastrous transfer dealings over the past few years. It’s enough to make you a little worried is all.

That is my thinking, Hamer struggled with a lot of things Marshall should find totally comfortable ? I'd imagine Marshall will be stronger in almost every regard, passing out from the back included. 

38 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I’d be happy with three wingers/inside forwards. Evans has played his best football in a Derby shirt at CB, plus we have Dutch Mike, Wisdom, Davies and Buchanan. It would be good to get a CB in, of course, but we have Lawrence out wide that looks natural. The rest of the time we’re playing people out of position. Waghorn, Rooney, Marriott and Whittaker can manage for the one position upfront. 

Sorry mate. But I have to disagree with you here.

Buchanan is a left back and whatever games he's played here has been at left back. To shift him to CB wouldn't be wise and something we shouldn't need to do. You could be 2 injuries away from having Davies and Buchanan as a CB pairing. Which would be pretty bad.

Evans has played his best football at CB. Mainly because in midfield he's been bang average. He's not someone you want to have to play at CB. Plus I don't think he's been that good there. He's average at best.

Davies can barely move anymore.

What I'm saying is we need at least 3 good CBs next season. That you would be happy to play there and that wouldn't really make us any worse. Because we should be aiming for the top 6 (if we don't get a points deduction) in what is the weakest Championship for a while.

Lawrence is not a natural winger for me at all. He drifts into the middle quite a lot. Doesn't hug the touchline. 

Rooney will be in midfield. Yes he could do a job upfront. 

But we've lost Martin. Who was joint top scorer. 

Whittaker is absolutely nowhere near ready to be starting games at this level. 

I'd like us to get a CF on loan and then look at loaning Whittaker out 

6 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Sorry mate. But I have to disagree with you here.

Buchanan is a left back and whatever games he's played here has been at left back. To shift him to CB wouldn't be wise and something we shouldn't need to do. You could be 2 injuries away from having Davies and Buchanan as a CB pairing. Which would be pretty bad.

Evans has played his best football at CB. Mainly because in midfield he's been bang average. He's not someone you want to have to play at CB. Plus I don't think he's been that good there. He's average at best.

Davies can barely move anymore.

What I'm saying is we need at least 3 good CBs next season. That you would be happy to play there and that wouldn't really make us any worse. Because we should be aiming for the top 6 (if we don't get a points deduction) in what is the weakest Championship for a while.

Lawrence is not a natural winger for me at all. He drifts into the middle quite a lot. Doesn't hug the touchline. 

Rooney will be in midfield. Yes he could do a job upfront. 

But we've lost Martin. Who was joint top scorer. 

Whittaker is absolutely nowhere near ready to be starting games at this level. 

I'd like us to get a CF on loan and then look at loaning Whittaker out 

I think you’re being harsh on Evans. I’ve personally been impressed with him at centre back, far more so than Davies over the past 12-24 months. I don’t think he’s a centre midfielder anymore, more of a centre back that can play further forward. Bielik is in a similar mould, but I think Evans has shown more promise at centre back and Bielik more in CM.

You’re probably right about Lawrence, but then that leaves Jozefzoon as our only natural winger in the club. I just think we need at least three and we can cover elsewhere. A CB would be don’t get me wrong, but I’d prefer to see three wide players in before anything else now. 

GK: Marshall, Roos and Ravas 

LB: Lowe, Forsyth, Buchanan and Malone
RB: Bogle, Wisdom and Ebesole 
CB: Dutch Mike, Wisdom, Evans, Bielik and Davies

CM: Rooney, Bird, Sibley, Knight, Holmes, Shinnie and Evans

WF: Lawrence, Waghorn, Bennett, Whittaker and Jozefzoon
ST: Waghorn, Marriott, Rooney, Whittaker and Hector-Ingram 

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

I think you’re being harsh on Evans. I’ve personally been impressed with him at centre back, far more so than Davies over the past 12-24 months. I don’t think he’s a centre midfielder anymore, more of a centre back that can play further forward. Bielik is in a similar mould, but I think Evans has shown more promise at centre back and Bielik more in CM.

You’re probably right about Lawrence, but then that leaves Jozefzoon as our only natural winger in the club. I just think we need at least three and we can cover elsewhere. A CB would be don’t get me wrong, but I’d prefer to see three wide players in before anything else now. 

I get your point mate. 

I don't think I'm being harsh on Evans at all. He's a bang average footballer. Yes he's done a steady job but nothing more. There's been games since we've come back where he's played at the back and he's barely found a man with a pass. If you put Clarke in that CB list instead of Evans then we're fine. We've got good options there.

Midfield we've got plenty of options. Possibly a lack of creativity. But Holmes and Sibley should provide it so nothing urgent there.

WF I agree with you. Jozefzoon is our only winger. Which is not good at all. I'm hoping by the grace of God we find someone stupid enough to buy him. Waghorn is better out wide for me. But like Lawrence he'll drift inside. Whittaker needs a loan away. I just don't think he's at the level needed to start games in the Championship. Getting a CF on loan would potentially allow him to go out and play a full season somewhere which would be good for his development.

Bennett I don't want anywhere near this football club. Never completed 90 minutes and scored about 8 goals in 8 years. You don't want him as an option. 

We've lost our joint top scorer. We have to replace him. A loan is fine. 

2 wingers to replace Jozefzoon and Bennett from that WF list. 

CF to replace Whittaker from that CF list and we'll look strong. 

Interesting signing. 

Definite mprovement on this seasons keepers. Nice that he's chosen us over benchwarming at WBA. 

Will add much needed experience to our backline, past his prime, but still will be a decent stopgap for a year or maybe 2.

The question this puts in my head though is have we... 

1) identified Marshall as a player who ticks all boxes and made him first choice, or

2) Deliberately gone for a low cost option out of necessity, and he fits that remit. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Lawrence’s best work is centrally 

27 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Don’t get this want of a winger who gets to the byline to stand balls up. We’ve not had a target man to score headers in close to 10 years at this point. 

We do need players who can beat a man, have a bit of pace about them, but within what role they do that, I don’t think it’s that important.

Lawrence does do a lot of his best work either centrally or cutting in, but he struggles with the positioning side of things to get in the game when played in the middle - a bit like Ince did. Much easier to receive the ball in more space out wide.

Archived