Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Sometimes you just read a story and shake your head in disbelief...............this is one of them!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-55560814

The police don't come out of this with much credit. In the current circumstances the issuing of fines should be a last resort; a gentle reminder of the guidelines and some polite advice to turn round and go home should suffice. No-one should complain if they're fined for long-standing offences (speeding, using a phone whilst driving, etc); whether or not you agree with them, everyone knows the rules. But some of the current Covid rules are vaguely drafted and seem to change frequently; fining someone as a first resort in those circumstances just seems petty and overzealous.

I've been invited to a funeral next week. Problem is I live west of Brum and the funeral is north of Derby. It would involve bus/taxi to Brum and train to Derby and taxi onwards. There's no chance of me going there is there? I'm recently recovered from Covid-19 so I'm technically not a risk. What would others on here do? 

22 minutes ago, Bearwood Ram said:

I've been invited to a funeral next week. Problem is I live west of Brum and the funeral is north of Derby. It would involve bus/taxi to Brum and train to Derby and taxi onwards. There's no chance of me going there is there? I'm recently recovered from Covid-19 so I'm technically not a risk. What would others on here do? 

Guess you don't drive or could hire a car? A booked taxi there and back might not work out too crazy expensive, especially as taxis probably haven't got much work on and could negotiate the price. Longer distance taxi rides are way better value than short rides.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Guess you don't drive or could hire a car? A booked taxi there and back might not work out too crazy expensive, especially as taxis probably haven't got much work on and could negotiate the price. Longer distance taxi rides are way better value than short rides.

No. I don't drive. I want to go but I'm hugely conflicted about it. I'll keep mulling it over. Cheers. 

3 hours ago, Olton Ram said:

The police don't come out of this with much credit. In the current circumstances the issuing of fines should be a last resort; a gentle reminder of the guidelines and some polite advice to turn round and go home should suffice. No-one should complain if they're fined for long-standing offences (speeding, using a phone whilst driving, etc); whether or not you agree with them, everyone knows the rules. But some of the current Covid rules are vaguely drafted and seem to change frequently; fining someone as a first resort in those circumstances just seems petty and overzealous.

For a moment consider how bloody awful policing this must be.  Every time you stop somebody there will be some incredible story and it must wear you down.  

10 minutes ago, Spanish said:

For a moment consider how bloody awful policing this must be.  Every time you stop somebody there will be some incredible story and it must wear you down.  

It's a difficult one.

I've been privately screaming for the police to clamp down on the pi55-takers for the past 9 months, and yet here I am, now looking at these latest stories, thinking how OTT they're being!

I guess for it to work for all, the Government need to define "local area" with a factual and actual figure, whatever that may be.  That would at least be a start, and if it's in the rules, then at least we'd all know where we stand, and would have much less cause to complain, if we get copped!  

1,300 deaths today and they may stay at this level for a few weeks.

What a freaking shambles. Reaching this level of deaths was obvious about 4 weeks ago. Dire decisions since means this level is going to continue for longer. Why the hell did schools go back for one extra day of super spreading?

This is going to be worse than the dark days of April. It's a disaster.

3 hours ago, Bearwood Ram said:

I know it’s not quite the same but a lot of funeral directors are streaming funeral services now. If you really are stuck this could be an option.

4 hours ago, Bearwood Ram said:

I would stay at home.

8 hours ago, Olton Ram said:

I’d actually ask what law they have broken? 

I hope they challenge the fine and not pay it.

Doesn’t give the police an ounce of respect when you see these actions.

Just seen the plod on East Midlands today, turning away people at Elvaston Castle from Chad, as not being local enough.

They then interviewed a lady from Spondon, who agreed with that, then was told she too was breaking the rules!

You could walk from some parts of Spondon to Elvaston Country park in about half an hour, how is that not local?

Instead of sending van loads of coppers to a vast outdoor space to police the rules, why not just drop one officer outside every corner shop and supermarket still open, and stop people entering indoor spaces without a mask?

11 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Sometimes you just read a story and shake your head in disbelief...............this is one of them!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-55560814

The police do seem to have over reacted here but perhaps they're fed up with warning people. Ashby to Foremark Reservoir isn't very far but probably still further than they should have travelled. Ashby isn't exactly a metropolis so I don't buy this "it was less crowded than where we live".

In the absence of any clear definition of what "stay local" means they should probably have just been sent on their way.

The other thing that troubles me about this story is, I don't remember there being any women that looked like they do when I lived in Ashby?

2 hours ago, Rev said:

Just seen the plod on East Midlands today, turning away people at Elvaston Castle from Chad, as not being local enough.

They then interviewed a lady from Spondon, who agreed with that, then was told she too was breaking the rules!

You could walk from some parts of Spondon to Elvaston Country park in about half an hour, how is that not local?

Instead of sending van loads of coppers to a vast outdoor space to police the rules, why not just drop one officer outside every corner shop and supermarket still open, and stop people entering indoor spaces without a mask?

Apparently according to the security bloke on the door at Tesco, they can't challenge anyone not wearing a mask.  

I've given up on much of this. Nadhim Zahawi laughing about the lack of checks on travellers coming into the UK as totally unrealistic and reckoning they were pointless yesterday .  Today new legislation- which I must confess I assumed would have been in place already-  about doing this and Grant Schapps on the news going on about how it's needed.  No poo Sherlock but a year too late. 

5 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Apparently according to the security bloke on the door at Tesco, they can't challenge anyone not wearing a mask.  

I've given up on much of this. Nadhim Zahawi laughing about the lack of checks on travellers coming into the UK as totally unrealistic and reckoning they were pointless yesterday .  Today new legislation- which I must confess I assumed would have been in place already-  about doing this and Grant Schapps on the news going on about how it's needed.  No poo Sherlock but a year too late. 

And people wonder why so called conspiracy theories breed,,,, you either do the lockdown thing properly or not at all,, how do people get on board and stay on board with the makes no sense mismatch of rules and regs that clearly are very damaging to people but by the same token just can’t have any chance of having any significant impact on a virus,,,, and personally I feel sorry for the police with the ambiguity they are meant to make sense of and be seen to be policing .

how does sending the country s children back to school for one day then locking them back up with families indoors where virus spreads easier not look more like a policy to spread it than stop it because nobody can be that stupid let alone those that have risen to the great heights of running the country ??‍♂️

5 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Hasn't been a security bloke at our tescos since last May. The ladies who work in the shop try and limit the numbers.  Thankfully we're reasonably compliant round here. 

Archived