Coronavirus

1of4

15 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

The AstraZeneca vaccine is not being sold for profit.

So no profit being made or going to be made going forward? If that’s the case then we should see it emerge as THE vaccine and if what you post is correct then I’ve got to say that is a large beacon of positivity in a storm of negatives

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

The AstraZeneca vaccine is not being sold for profit.

Doesn’t quite read as you’ve stated , that warm glow of positivity I felt from your post was short lived , could easily scan as an early loss leader?

7 minutes ago, Archied said:

Doesn’t quite read as you’ve stated , that warm glow of positivity I felt from your post was short lived , could easily scan as an early loss leader?

Do you think we would have had so many vaccines if there was a possibility of a profit being made on them ? 

7 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Do you think we would have had so many vaccines if there was a possibility of a profit being made on them ? 

Here was me thinking all bets were off as the whole world was under threat from a pandemic ??‍♂️,,,, and actually no I don’t/didn’t think that the driving force in in this pandemic wouldn’t be making massive amounts of money for some but isn’t that what you keep pulling me up for ? Don’t you keep asking me who and why but your not noticing that the questions you ask me are answering themselves ??‍♂️

Can't speak for the UK, but at €1.78 a pop for the EU, AZ are certainly not profiteering.

This list was made public by the Belgian PM, which really annoyed Pfizer. The funny bit is that the Pfizer vaccine is actually manufactured in Puurs which is in Belgium. 

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Can't speak for the UK, but at €1.78 a pop for the EU, AZ are certainly not profiteering.

This list was made public by the Belgian PM, which really annoyed Pfizer. The funny bit is that the Pfizer vaccine is actually manufactured in Puurs which is in Belgium. 

Did you read the link posted ?,, would you not agree it’s not the altruistic picture your post painted?

36 minutes ago, Archied said:

Here was me thinking all bets were off as the whole world was under threat from a pandemic ??‍♂️,,,, and actually no I don’t/didn’t think that the driving force in in this pandemic wouldn’t be making massive amounts of money for some but isn’t that what you keep pulling me up for ? Don’t you keep asking me who and why but your not noticing that the questions you ask me are answering themselves ??‍♂️

I wasn't aware I was pulling you up for anything. I've not disputed anything you put, I don't believe ? 

Point is, that unless there is money to be made then it's unlikely you will have many takers in helping you out. I dont quite understand where your coming from I must admit, did you expect a utopia where the humanity suddenly changed what it has been doing since inception. Humanity isn't under threat, however a certain group are very much at a higher risk, the driving force is naturally going to be for some vaccine manufacturers to, in the long run make money from it. 

Unless you are saying that the virus has been introduced on purpose to make these people richer, then I think I'd disagree.

As with all types of manufacturing when economies of scale and continuous improvement of processes kick in the cost per unit will be lower.

With the Oxford Vaccine (Astra Zeneca), the reduced sell on cost is mainly because the British Tax payer as funded the vast majority of the development costs (rightly), and the main component of the ongoing price is manufacturing.

Hopefully if AZ do make money out of it then some will come back to the exchequer in the form of tax.

This shouldn't be at the expense of charging too much for the vaccine or starving developing nations of the necessary vaccine.

2 hours ago, BIllyD said:

I wasn't aware I was pulling you up for anything. I've not disputed anything you put, I don't believe ? 

Point is, that unless there is money to be made then it's unlikely you will have many takers in helping you out. I dont quite understand where your coming from I must admit, did you expect a utopia where the humanity suddenly changed what it has been doing since inception. Humanity isn't under threat, however a certain group are very much at a higher risk, the driving force is naturally going to be for some vaccine manufacturers to, in the long run make money from it. 

Unless you are saying that the virus has been introduced on purpose to make these people richer, then I think I'd disagree.

Then I apologise and perhaps I’m taking your questions the wrong way ,,,, what I find is there is a real polarisation whereby you either follow everything without question or concern or you are a full on conspiracy theorist ,

im not saying the virus has been introduced on purpose to make people richer but repeat what I’ve been constant in saying ,, never let a good crisis go to waste , given even the small acceptance of the money factors we seem to be agreeing on I don’t think we can deny cases/ deaths dropping and fear subsiding would be the worst case scenario for some ,that’s why I find censorship of any opposing science or medical opinion/ view so very troubling and the article in the bmj calling for openness of financial conflicts of interest vital

58 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

As with all types of manufacturing when economies of scale and continuous improvement of processes kick in the cost per unit will be lower.

With the Oxford Vaccine (Astra Zeneca), the reduced sell on cost is mainly because the British Tax payer as funded the vast majority of the development costs (rightly), and the main component of the ongoing price is manufacturing.

Hopefully if AZ do make money out of it then some will come back to the exchequer in the form of tax.

This shouldn't be at the expense of charging too much for the vaccine or starving developing nations of the necessary vaccine.

So the economy v lives is not quite the same if it’s not lives of people in this country?

16 minutes ago, Archied said:

Then I apologise and perhaps I’m taking your questions the wrong way ,,,, what I find is there is a real polarisation whereby you either follow everything without question or concern or you are a full on conspiracy theorist ,

im not saying the virus has been introduced on purpose to make people richer but repeat what I’ve been constant in saying ,, never let a good crisis go to waste , given even the small acceptance of the money factors we seem to be agreeing on I don’t think we can deny cases/ deaths dropping and fear subsiding would be the worst case scenario for some ,that’s why I find censorship of any opposing science or medical opinion/ view so very troubling and the article in the bmj calling for openness of financial conflicts of interest vital

No need to apologise pal.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, whether that's a conspiracy theory or as per your post above an opinion on who is benefiting most out of this pandemic. As I said, I wouldn't necessarily argue with your views, I just feel that is something that will and always has been part of humanity and in some respects don't have an issue with it. I'd be quite happy if someone became a billionaire overnight if they produced a cure to this virus that ended it tomorrow, same with cancer and any other horrible disease that kills people.

12 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

No need to apologise pal.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, whether that's a conspiracy theory or as per your post above an opinion on who is benefiting most out of this pandemic. As I said, I wouldn't necessarily argue with your views, I just feel that is something that will and always has been part of humanity and in some respects don't have an issue with it. I'd be quite happy if someone became a billionaire overnight if they produced a cure to this virus that ended it tomorrow, same with cancer and any other horrible disease that kills people.

Well I reckon we are both agreed on that?

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Your first post stated AstraZeneca vaccine was non profit  ( gave impression fully),,, my point is  on examination it’s very much not the case??‍♂️

I don't see any EU countries as middle/lower income and based on the fact that they are paying €1.78 a pop I would very much suggest there is virtually zero profit. 

I have worked in the pharma industry continuously for over 30 years and it is an incredibly regulated business. €1.78 will just about cover production costs.

35 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

I don't see any EU countries as middle/lower income and based on the fact that they are paying €1.78 a pop I would very much suggest there is virtually zero profit. 

I have worked in the pharma industry continuously for over 30 years and it is an incredibly regulated business. €1.78 will just about cover production costs.

It used to take about 10 years and £10,000,000 just to go from molecule to viable delivery mechanism to toxicology trials to stability studies to clinical trials to market when I was in the industry.

52 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It used to take about 10 years and £10,000,000 just to go from molecule to viable delivery mechanism to toxicology trials to stability studies to clinical trials to market when I was in the industry.

I actually worked in the Pfizer Puurs factory in September on the vaccine packaging.

They were spending money like water to get it approved.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Git said:

I actually worked in the Pfizer Puurs factory in September on the vaccine packaging.

They were spending money like water to get it approved.

Duvel Moortgat Brewery AND Bosteels both within walking distance. Truly, a place of wonder.

Archived