Coronavirus

1of4

So what is the vaccine end game? We can reduce hospitalisation but I still have no idea if it stops you catching the virus or it stops transmission.

If cases remain high what’s the end game here? We allow society to continue and we just treat Covid as an illness?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, rammieib said:

So what is the vaccine end game? We can reduce hospitalisation but I still have no idea if it stops you catching the virus or it stops transmission.

If cases remain high what’s the end game here? We allow society to continue and we just treat Covid as an illness?

Reduced viral loads decrease transmission. Whether it provides full immunity or not, it will reduce the rate of spread.

2 minutes ago, Albert said:

Reduced viral loads decrease transmission. Whether it provides full immunity or not, it will reduce the rate of spread.

Although the rate of transmission would suggest today you don’t need much viral load to pass it on.

I honestly just wish the government would come out and provide a guideline on where they need hospitalisations to be and/or case loads to start saying we are winning the battle.

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

I was replying to a poster before you posted.

Doesn't really change my point, Burton Hospital have told her she doesn't have to have a test before admission because its less than 80% accurate.  Maybe the person she spoke to has got it wrong, just wondered what others were being told.

A fella at work had to self isolate for a week before he had a camera up the bum. This was just before Xmas mind.

51 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Although the rate of transmission would suggest today you don’t need much viral load to pass it on.

I honestly just wish the government would come out and provide a guideline on where they need hospitalisations to be and/or case loads to start saying we are winning the battle.

I think at 50% above last April with respect to hospital care indicates that we're not there yet.

58 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I'd say record hospitalisations, and exponentially increasing use of ventilators isn't the spot they'd want to be at. This will likely go on for months. They let it get too out of control, and with the new strain, they're going to need better brakes. 

7 hours ago, jimmyp said:

Yes that is the case, a test is not required before admission. 
A negative test is required before an elective operation can take place though. Isolating for 10 days is not sufficient by itself to allow the surgery to take place. 
I don’t know what test type they are referring to. 
The test they use in hospital are more than 80% accurate. 

Doesn’t seem great policy , with hospitals needing to keep those with COVID separate from those without surely the isolation period and a test before admission is a no brainer ? How do you know people have fully followed the isolation instruction 

Less than an hour to go till we start a 3 day lockdown☹️. We have 1 confirmed case of the uk  virus after 4 months of no community cases , a cleaner from a quarantine hotel so the gov is going hard and going early.

Stocked up with 5 bottles of gin and a 30 carton of beer so should be able to see the 3 days out alright.

49 minutes ago, Archied said:

Doesn’t seem great policy , with hospitals needing to keep those with COVID separate from those without surely the isolation period and a test before admission is a no brainer ? How do you know people have fully followed the isolation instruction 

They don’t know for certain that people have followed the isolation instruction.
They also wouldn’t know for certain if somebody had followed the isolation period after receiving a negative test  prior to admittance. 

Just to add to this, lots of hospitals will still ask for you to be tested before admittance. That isn’t sufficient in itself to operate though. 

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I was replying to a poster before you posted.

Doesn't really change my point, Burton Hospital have told her she doesn't have to have a test before admission because its less than 80% accurate.  Maybe the person she spoke to has got it wrong, just wondered what others were being told.

I don’t know but I suspect the decision as to whether a person needs a test (NHS website say’s you MAY need a test) is determined by the risk of patients spreading the virus (depending on why they are being admitted) and the urgency of the admission rather than the accuracy of the test. That would make no sense and I suspect the person got it wrong in terms of the reason.

As others have said, you do need a test before elective surgery. I had an operation in September and had to have a test. In terms of the type of test, it was the usual up your nose and back of the throat test. I could either go to the hospitals own testing site or do it at home so, I did it at home. A currier delivered the kit and waited whilst I did the test. Both myself and my wife then had to isolate before I went in (five days I think, I can’t remember. They had just reduced it).

I suspect it hasn’t changed since then although, elective surgeries have of course been reduced at the moment so, I was lucky. My operation was never actually cancelled although originally I was told it would be around April/May.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don’t know but I suspect the decision as to whether a person needs a test (NHS website say’s you MAY need a test) is determined by the risk of patients spreading the virus (depending on why they are being admitted) and the urgency of the admission rather than the accuracy of the test. That would make no sense and I suspect the person got it wrong in terms of the reason.

As others have said, you do need a test before elective surgery. I had an operation in September and had to have a test. In terms of the type of test, it was the usual up your nose and back of the throat test. I could either go to the hospitals own testing site or do it at home so, I did it at home. A currier delivered the kit and waited whilst I did the test. Both myself and my wife then had to isolate before I went in (five days I think, I can’t remember. They had just reduced it).

I suspect it hasn’t changed since then although, elective surgeries have of course been reduced at the moment so, I was lucky. My operation was never actually cancelled although originally I was told it would be around April/May.

friend of mine had an eye op just before xmas and was asked to self isolate and was not tested at any time

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

I think at 50% above last April with respect to hospital care indicates that we're not there yet.

Of course not Eddie but you do respect that with 100 times more testing going on now than in March then of course it’s going to be higher. Not everyone who is in hospital who has Covid is in there because of Covid.

Imagine going in because you break your leg, having a positive test for Covid and then being counted as a Covid admission. However I agree that the ICU’s are under pressure (and the fact we are keeping people alive for longer and more are recovering now).

8 hours ago, rammieib said:

End game? Are you having a laugh?

Chris Whitty has already talked of restrictions next winter.

Absolutely no chance of the Government committing to numbers of where we need to be, just as I thought would happen.

Instead we will now have weeks of them updating us with a number that means absolutely nothing.

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

Of course not Eddie but you do respect that with 100 times more testing going on now than in March then of course it’s going to be higher. Not everyone who is in hospital who has Covid is in there because of Covid.

Imagine going in because you break your leg, having a positive test for Covid and then being counted as a Covid admission. However I agree that the ICU’s are under pressure (and the fact we are keeping people alive for longer and more are recovering now).

Imagine going into hospital without Covid and catching it while you're in there.

If only we had some unused hospital buildings where we could send Covid patients so they didnt need to mix...

1 hour ago, Stagtime said:

Less than an hour to go till we start a 3 day lockdown☹️. We have 1 confirmed case of the uk  virus after 4 months of no community cases , a cleaner from a quarantine hotel so the gov is going hard and going early.

Stocked up with 5 bottles of gin and a 30 carton of beer so should be able to see the 3 days out alright.

Best of luck. We had ours last year here in Adelaide, it's honestly not too bad when it's that short. 

Also, the recommendations for naming viruses ask people to avoid naming viruses after locations, as it tends to give a stigma. I don't personally like it being referred to as the 'UK strain' either, but at least it's more descriptive. Trump and co used 'China-virus' and more racially charged terms earlier in the year as part of their dogwhistling. While I know you're not using it for those kinds of reasons, it's best to avoid where possible. 

12 minutes ago, Albert said:

Best of luck. We had ours last year here in Adelaide, it's honestly not too bad when it's that short. 

Also, the recommendations for naming viruses ask people to avoid naming viruses after locations, as it tends to give a stigma. I don't personally like it being referred to as the 'UK strain' either, but at least it's more descriptive. Trump and co used 'China-virus' and more racially charged terms earlier in the year as part of their dogwhistling. While I know you're not using it for those kinds of reasons, it's best to avoid where possible. 

Don't worry, I'm sure none of the Brits will have a problem with calling it the British virus. 

If its not the China virus what is it? That's where it came from and they should have significant moral responsibility for what they have given to to the world. Also inept government doesn't help but they have to have some responsibility. 

The WHO weren't even allowed in China to investigate its origins recently, to me it would be quite likely be made in a Wuhan laboratory because they already were experimenting with that kind of virus in Wuhan labs and it would be rather typical of Chinese government to cover anything up and handle things horribly. 

11 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

A colleague is going in for planned surgery early February.

She has to isolate for 10 days before going into hospital, she asked if she would be tested prior to admission but was told no because the test is at best 80% accurate. Isolation, 10 days with no symptoms is the requirement for surgery.

This is Burton hospital. I assume its the same everywhere else.

No particular comment, just thought I'd see if others have seen or heard this.

My niece went in for surgery this week at RDH and she had to have a negative test before they went ahead with the surgery, she is only 5 as well.

Archived