Coronavirus

1of4

12 minutes ago, Archied said:

Interesting thing I just saw on the news ,, a delivery driver with health condition so shielding catagory ,then can’t be furloughed and forced onto a much lower sickness benefit,, am I getting that wrong? Hope so 

I don't know ? Why can't they be furloughed ? 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Archied said:

Interesting thing I just saw on the news ,, a delivery driver with health condition so shielding catagory ,then can’t be furloughed and forced onto a much lower sickness benefit,, am I getting that wrong? Hope so 

Not sure if this is the same sort of thing...

A colleague of Muckerette is "Vulnerable" due to existing condition(s), but did choose to work through last year (when the shop they work at was open, that is). 
But once the risks got higher (with this new strain that is far more virulent) she decided not to risk it anymore (40min bus ride each way, plus a full shift mingling with customers in a clothes shop), so she asked to be furloughed.  They said no, as the shop was still (then) up and running.  Both parties agreed on authorised but unpaid leave, which she took.
As it turned out, that was only for a week or so, as the shop has now been closed down again with these latest restrictions, and all staff are once again back on furlough.  Had the shop been allowed to continue to remain open, she would have had to go back to work, or continue her authorised unpaid leave. 

7 minutes ago, Archied said:

As I say I just caught it and wanted to ask if anybody knew if this was the case

Then sorry don't know, I'm guessing their are some restrictions around the scheme to make sure it doesn't get abused, maybe he has fallen foul of these. I'm guessing there are some people who will that aren't abusing it, but don't meet a certain criteria.

2 hours ago, Archied said:

Probably self employed like lots of drivers now, with less than 3 years accounts for averaging purposes to cover 80% of earnings.  Think that was the initial ruling for most though there may be things in place for those formally requested to shield ?

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Probably self employed like lots of drivers now, with less than 3 years accounts for averaging purposes to cover 80% of earnings.  Think that was the initial ruling for most though there may be things in place for those formally requested to shield ?

Deffo wasn’t a self employed thing ,, also furlough I believe doesn’t exist with self employed, it’s a different grant scheme  

A colleague is going in for planned surgery early February.

She has to isolate for 10 days before going into hospital, she asked if she would be tested prior to admission but was told no because the test is at best 80% accurate. Isolation, 10 days with no symptoms is the requirement for surgery.

This is Burton hospital. I assume its the same everywhere else.

No particular comment, just thought I'd see if others have seen or heard this.

14 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

She has to isolate for 10 days before going into hospital, she asked if she would be tested prior to admission but was told no because the test is at best 80% accurate. Isolation, 10 days with no symptoms is the requirement for surgery.

I can confirm that this is not the case in the two hospital trusts my brothers work in.

Both trusts require a negative covid-19 test before the operation can take place.

23 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I know of very similar things in West Midlands hospitals too. 

https://cpoc.org.uk/sites/cpoc/files/documents/2020-05/CPOC-FAQ.pdf

What will be different when having an operation during the
COVID-19 pandemic?
To maintain social distancing and reduce travelling to hospitals, you may be offered online consultations with the surgeon and the preoperative assessment clinic, rather than be asked to attend appointments in person.
You will be asked to self-isolate at home for 14 days before the operation, along with members of your household if you do not live alone. It is very important that you take this request seriously for your own health, for the health of the NHS staff caring for you and for the health of other patients.
All other patients coming into hospital for a planned procedure will have been asked to self-isolate to reduce the risk of contracting the virus for everyone.
The hospital will ask you to take a swab test for COVID-19 before admission. If you require a long hospital stay you will also be tested regularly while you are admitted.

2 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

https://cpoc.org.uk/sites/cpoc/files/documents/2020-05/CPOC-FAQ.pdf

What will be different when having an operation during the
COVID-19 pandemic?
To maintain social distancing and reduce travelling to hospitals, you may be offered online consultations with the surgeon and the preoperative assessment clinic, rather than be asked to attend appointments in person.
You will be asked to self-isolate at home for 14 days before the operation, along with members of your household if you do not live alone. It is very important that you take this request seriously for your own health, for the health of the NHS staff caring for you and for the health of other patients.
All other patients coming into hospital for a planned procedure will have been asked to self-isolate to reduce the risk of contracting the virus for everyone.
The hospital will ask you to take a swab test for COVID-19 before admission. If you require a long hospital stay you will also be tested regularly while you are admitted.

She asked if she would be tested before admission and was told no. 

8 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

No need to apologise. All we have is anecdotal evidence unless local trusts publish their policy.

I would say the information from the Centre for preoperative care is pretty reliable, I certainly wouldn’t describe it as anecdotal evidence. 

41 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Tell her not to get too excited. An ex-colleague of mine has now had her operation delayed three times, each one several days into her isolation period. 

1 minute ago, jimmyp said:

I would say the information from the Centre for preoperative care is pretty reliable, I certainly wouldn’t describe it as anecdotal evidence. 

I was replying to a poster before you posted.

Doesn't really change my point, Burton Hospital have told her she doesn't have to have a test before admission because its less than 80% accurate.  Maybe the person she spoke to has got it wrong, just wondered what others were being told.

7 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I was replying to a poster before you posted.

Doesn't really change my point, Burton Hospital have told her she doesn't have to have a test before admission because its less than 80% accurate.  Maybe the person she spoke to has got it wrong, just wondered what others were being told.

Yes that is the case, a test is not required before admission. 
A negative test is required before an elective operation can take place though. Isolating for 10 days is not sufficient by itself to allow the surgery to take place. 
I don’t know what test type they are referring to. 
The test they use in hospital are more than 80% accurate. 

Archived