Coronavirus

1of4

6 hours ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

As with all types of manufacturing when economies of scale and continuous improvement of processes kick in the cost per unit will be lower.

With the Oxford Vaccine (Astra Zeneca), the reduced sell on cost is mainly because the British Tax payer as funded the vast majority of the development costs (rightly), and the main component of the ongoing price is manufacturing.

Hopefully if AZ do make money out of it then some will come back to the exchequer in the form of tax.

This shouldn't be at the expense of charging too much for the vaccine or starving developing nations of the necessary vaccine.

Some of its does in the form of tax and no on all the uk employees.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The figure out of the UK are looking terrifying right now, this new strain is no joke. 

New hospitalisations now well above the first wave, patients in hospital will likely double the first wave in the coming weeks, and we're likely days away from the number of people on mechanical ventilation rising above the first wave too. Not good signs, particularly given deaths trend with these metrics. Let's hope the improvements in treatment in the last year are enough to save more lives than the first wave. 

3 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

I don't see any EU countries as middle/lower income and based on the fact that they are paying €1.78 a pop I would very much suggest there is virtually zero profit. 

I have worked in the pharma industry continuously for over 30 years and it is an incredibly regulated business. €1.78 will just about cover production costs.

Let’s hope your right and it’s not a loss leader with the wording during the pandemic not being the clever bit when we find it’s a world wide every person booster at least once a year ,virtually no profit also be massive massive profit when you scale it , but let’s wait and see when the battle for market share begins and the profit/ loss sheets start to appear ,,

as I say ,,if you are correct then that’s a ray of positivity but I’m willing to bet it turns out the latter ,

any news on the Russian vaccine? Will it be seen in the west ? 

5 hours ago, Archied said:

So the economy v lives is not quite the same if it’s not lives of people in this country?

Not quite sure what your question is or is it rhetorical? I was just pointing out that the UK tax payer has kept down the cost of the AZ vaccine by paying a large chunk of the R and D costs (also the yet to come Imperial College one), and due to the success of the process that they maybe a return to the exchequer in the form of Corp tax. If there is no tax take then so be it. If AZ want to take a loss in the name of altruism then that is fine. The only two things that matter are everybody gets access to a vaccination and the world gets back to something resembling normality. 

1 hour ago, Albert said:

The figure out of the UK are looking terrifying right now, this new strain is no joke. 

New hospitalisations now well above the first wave, patients in hospital will likely double the first wave in the coming weeks, and we're likely days away from the number of people on mechanical ventilation rising above the first wave too. Not good signs, particularly given deaths trend with these metrics. Let's hope the improvements in treatment in the last year are enough to save more lives than the first wave. 

Its not serious enough for a lockdown yet. All factories are open, schools are at 50%+ occupancy, its mainly small independent shops, pubs and restaurants that are closed. All the takeaways, pizza, Indians, Chinese, KFC, McDonalds etc are doing a roaring trade.

The big supermarkets are packed with no social distancing because people think they are invincible with a mask on.

Luckily the police are keeping us safe by fining us for being outside in the fresh air.......

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Royal Family⁩ have been vaccinated A good day becomes a great day.

What - all of them. What an awful tweet.

Thanks Nadhim.  That will make me feel much rosier wearing a mask for 40 hrs this week in an office that's had 3 covid cases in 3 weeks.

A good example of a badly worded tweet and then overreacting based on assumptions.

From what I can see (I may well be wrong), only the Queen and Prince Philip have had the vaccine. Given they’re age, they were probably due now anyway. My Mum (88) has had hers and my Dad (91j is having his on Friday.

Questions. Given that a lot of people have had the virus, and got some immunity, is there a case to vaccinate first those in a specific priority group who have never had a positive test ?

Also, I know that there are tests to determine if a person has got antibodies. Given the amount of people who are asymptomatic, if we knew that they got the antibodies, again those people may not need to be in higher priority groups, may be ?

or is it much easier to say right lets do the lot

19 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Questions. Given that a lot of people have had the virus, and got some immunity, is there a case to vaccinate first those in a specific priority group who have never had a positive test ?

Also, I know that there are tests to determine if a person has got antibodies. Given the amount of people who are asymptomatic, if we knew that they got the antibodies, again those people may not need to be in higher priority groups, may be ?

or is it much easier to say right lets do the lot

Surely the latter, let's concentrate on getting people vaccinated.

Has the way the vaccine is administered changed again ? I’m seeing lots getting second jab now and thought the policy had been changed to prioritising first jabs with second jabs being pushed back time wise? or is it that the one of the vaccines is being done this way with the other not ?

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

Has the way the vaccine is administered changed again ? I’m seeing lots getting second jab now and thought the policy had been changed to prioritising first jabs with second jabs being pushed back time wise? or is it that the one of the vaccines is being done this way with the other not ?

Dependant on when they had the first jab I believe. If they had it before the call was made to change the decision to one jab, they possibly already had the appointment set for the second jab.

The UK will go through the "most dangerous time" of the pandemic in the weeks before vaccine rollout has an impact, England's chief medical officer has warned.

He said there were over 30,000 people in the NHS with Covid-19 as of Sunday - compared to about 18,000 at the peak last April.

He added that "anybody who is not shocked" by the number of people in hospital "has not understood this at all".

"This is an appalling situation," he said.

Must have been reading this thread I reckon.

More at - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55612270

5 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Dependant on when they had the first jab I believe. If they had it before the call was made to change the decision to one jab, they possibly already had the appointment set for the second jab.

Lots of second appointments were cancelled, can’t seem to find any info on whether the policy has changed

15 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Oh I totally agree but just trying to understand a bit more about the impact of the vaccination program

Yes good question. Unfortunately I'm not going to profess to have the answers, I'd be guessing I'm afraid.

What I did find interesting is WHO, who are advising countries that have enough vaccine to do the whole country, to stop once they have done the most vulnerable and then give the rest to other countries that can then do the same. Not sure I'm totally on board with that one, surely if we want to protect everyone in the long run, we have to stick to plan A ?

5 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Anecdotally I've barely been ill at all this winter (touch wood). Had a horrible cough in September that wasn't covid (tested..)

If anything these reports are showing that compliance with the rules is pretty high. 

Archived