Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

So how much lower are the deaths for this year compared with the previous record high?

The ONS has you covered:

In England, the number of deaths up to 11 December 2020 was 543,335, which is 65,251 (13.6%) more than the five-year average. Of these, 68,341 deaths (12.6%) mentioned COVID-19.

It's worth noting that in countries where the virus has been controlled, the reduction in other infectious diseases through the same controls has actually lead to a decrease in total deaths against the 5 year average. New Zealand falls into this category. 

Edit: Just realised I've not covered the record high in that. The all time high for England was 560,317, in 1976. All cause deaths has been down since then. Just scaling the deaths to a full year, 2020 is on track for 575,211, which would be the all time record. Deaths would need to be under 570 per day for all causes to end up under 1976, but Covid deaths in England alone are averaging around 400 a day. 

15 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Let’s hope we get the vaccine into as many people as possible during this lockdown and end all this hysteria once and for all a

Well I have to say that you're the first person I've seen being pro-vaccine for the simple reason that it will stop people telling you your opinions are wrong.

Most of us want the vaccine to work so that people stop dying needlessly, which in turn means that economic/social functions can resume

38 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Well I have to say that you're the first person I've seen being pro-vaccine for the simple reason that it will stop people telling you your opinions are wrong.

Most of us want the vaccine to work so that people stop dying needlessly, which in turn means that economic/social functions can resume

I do want to for that as well. However it would nice for the hysteria, scaremongering, point scoring and forum scientists to give it a rest for a bit. I mean come on, if you have a different opinion these days your either a conspiracy theorist, right wing looney and just stupid. All this without anyone really knowing you, your background, what you’ve don’t know life and what your values are. I like all that to end to be honest 

3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I do want to for that as well. However it would nice for the hysteria, scaremongering, point scoring and forum scientists to give it a rest for a bit. I mean come on, if you have a different opinion these days your either a conspiracy theorist, right wing looney and just stupid. All this without anyone really knowing you, your background, what you’ve don’t know life and what your values are. I like all that to end to be honest 

I watched BBC news last night with Doctors and Nurses looking completely stressed.  Was that fake news?

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

I watched BBC news last night with Doctors and Nurses looking completely stressed.  Was that fake news?

Strange post Where have I said anything is fake news? I have said and will stand by it I think lockdowns don’t work and don’t think there would of been a 2nd wave, that’s pretty much it. 

3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Strange post Where have I said anything is fake news? I have said and will stand by it I think lockdowns don’t work and don’t think there would of been a 2nd wave, that’s pretty much it. 

we will never know thank god because the NHS would never have survived the first wave without a lockdown

12 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I think lockdowns don’t work and don’t think there would of been a 2nd wave

eh? I know you like a graph, but do you really think the big long dip in the middle here is not because we had a 3 month lockdown?

and the little dip in early December is not because of the 2nd lockdown?

And all the times it's been rising exponentially are because we haven't been controlling the virus through lockdown

Do you really think the graph would have looked the same (or better?) without the lockdowns?

image.png.fbdbd9c59e13c984aff3ee013e8d04d2.png

Well fingers crossed the vaccine is effective and starts to turn the tide against this horrible thing. Personally, I have been extremely lucky in that none of my immediate family have confirmed to have the virus so I have not experienced the loss that this scourge can cause but I feel extremely sympathetic to those who have.

It's clear that this thing is real, and it's horrible. It's horrible if you catch it, horrible if you die from it, horrible for everyone in and out of those groups due to the disruption to normal life this has caused.

I remain hopeful and optimistic that this vaccine will be the route out of this nightmare. My partner is a frontline NHS worker and will get her vaccine tomorrow, as is her brother and his will be given soon. Please, please, if you're offered the vaccine - do your bit, roll up your sleeve, and let's get out of this situation as soon as possible.

18 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

eh? I know you like a graph, but do you really think the big long dip in the middle here is not because we had a 3 month lockdown?

And all the times it's been rising exponentially are because we haven't been controlling the virus through lockdown

Do you really think the graph would have looked the same (or better?) without the lockdowns?

Odd isn't it, but that is the joy of the UK, people are allowed to have a view even if it is palpably wrong

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Erm, that dip was at the same time as eat out to help out. That is the way to stop the virus!

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

To be fair, we're testing a lot more people so we are finding a lot more cases. Deaths are a better way to measure if there's a second wave. Maybe it looks better? 

Screenshot_20210107-140045_Chrome.jpg

52 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

And the dip at the beginning of December was when people were going to Christmas markets. it only went up after they were banned. 

The dip started when Cocu was sacked and only started up again when Rooney was put in charge.  We should continue without a Manager then all the lockdowns are not needed

36 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

To be fair, we're testing a lot more people so we are finding a lot more cases. Deaths are a better way to measure if there's a second wave. Maybe it looks better? 

Screenshot_20210107-140045_Chrome.jpg

good point but it would be good to see hospital admissions as a more clear indicator.  We are better at treating the ill up until when the demand becomes too high to manage

4 hours ago, TexasRam said:

The same , with brexit, racism, minority ism  ,,, it’s the new normal

Archived