Coronavirus

1of4

As the Coronavirus becomes more wide spread. We are starting to see various sporting events being cancelled. 

If the present situation turns into a pandemic. Will all sporting events by stopped till the emergency is over.

What will this mean to the remainder of the football season?  The possibility of this season not being completed.

All results becoming null and void, no relegation or promotion and Liverpool not winning the Prem.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

As the Coronavirus becomes more wide spread. We are starting to see various sporting events being cancelled. 

If the present situation turns into a pandemic. Will all sporting events by stopped till the emergency is over.

What will this mean to the remainder of the football season?  The possibility of this season not being completed.

All results becoming null and void, no relegation or promotion and Liverpool not winning the Prem.

...and Forest/Leeds not getting promoted ?

11 hours ago, Srg said:

Load of nonsense. The Flu is more deadly. Come round with Swine Flu and all the rest of it... yawn. 

Not sure the 2800 dead would agree with that.

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

On average 1400 people die from the flu every single day.

Not sure how relevant that is though, i agree with the fact the flu can be deadly. But potentially the numbers with coronavirus and those dying will continue to increase as it spreads, do we have to wait for the daily death toll to exceed flu to consider it not nonsense?

I wonder how many of those describing it as nonsense would retain that point of view if world governments were also treating it as nonsense and they or their loved ones died from it? Would they still sit back and go, oh its fine im dying or my mum died etc because more people died of flu today, or would they blame the government for not doing more?

Personally as someone who is high risk for a number of reasons and gets every vaccination going, the fact something is spreading quite quickly which there is no vaccine for is very concerning.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Oh that is ok then!!!!

Although this may be true, compared to Corona virus it is a very sill stat indeed.

I do not know the actual figures, but I suspect the amount of humans in the world with flu at any one time totally outstrips the amount of humans with Corona virus.

However if Corona virus becomes prevalent and and we suddenly see the same amount as Flu.

Then the stats could be very different.

I would like to see the percentage of people succumbing to flu against those who survive and the current against corona virus.

1 minute ago, BathRam72 said:

Oh that is ok then!!!!

Although this may be true, compared to Corona virus it is a very sill stat indeed.

I do not know the actual figures, but I suspect the amount of humans in the world with flu at any one time totally outstrips the amount of humans with Corona virus.

However if Corona virus becomes prevalent and and we suddenly see the same amount as Flu.

Then the stats could be very different.

I would like to see the percentage of people succumbing to flu against those who survive and the current against corona virus.

Would suspect we dont know the true flu rate. There will be those who suffer in silence knowing that rest etc is the only cure, yet those who go to the doctors with a bit of a cold and get diagnosed with flu because the GP knows its the only way to get rid of them.

Also we have effective flu vaccines, we dont have one for this yet, and likely to be some time.

What will spread it more is people who dont consider it to be serious, people like zara phillips refusing to self isolate because they are probably to good to do so, and then those who will go the gp's despite being told not to, and those 'heros' who go to work no matter what and are happy to criticise those who take time off for being sick.

I suspect this will spread, not because lack of effort from world governments but because of apathy from the general public.

Apparently It's about 30 times more deadly than the average flu virus.   So that gives you some idea of the potential death poll if COVID-19 becomes a genuine pandemic.  With no vaccine yet...it is no wonder why medical authorities are worried. 

But still, it's old and sick people that are the ones that seem to be in danger...among younger healthy people the death rate is still very low. 

15 hours ago, 1of4 said:

I very much doubt that would happen. Aren’t they proposing to play some games in Italy (including those already postponed eventually I assume) behind closed doors?

5 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Hope all the poeple who may be asked to self isolate can afford to take two weeks off work without pay.

Rules are being put in place. Too complicated to write hear.

But unless you are self employed you may be able to claim.  (Yes I listen to 5 live on the way to work at 5.30 every morning)

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

But something like 200,000 catch it every day.

Regardless, the point of taking extreme measures to contain coronavirus isn't because its hyper-deadly, which its not. The problem is there's still plenty scientists don't know about it, and its incredibly dangerous to let a virus you know so little about spread. 

If you let it spread because it doesn't seem that deadly, and then it mutates into something far more lethal; suddenly populations are dropping like flies and it becomes incredibly difficult to quarantine and contain.

Until a vaccine is developed it will be treated like its far more severe than it currently is because it could become so. And the general population should take it more seriously.

In 1957 I was off school with Asian flu, I can't recall how ill I was but I know all my family were ill at the same time,,it must have been bad for my dad to be off work(you didn't get paid for being sick then). I remember it well because it was the year I left school. And I also remember the Ryder Cup was on the television, the first time I had seen any golf. I googled the 1957 Ryder Cup it was October,so I googled Asian flu,it was a pandemic that started in Singapore in Feb of that year, it lasted into 1958 . 1.1million people world wide died from it but what did surprise me was that 3,550 died in England and wales.I doubt there will be as many deaths from coronavirus .

3 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Rules are being put in place. Too complicated to write hear.

But unless you are self employed you may be able to claim.  (Yes I listen to 5 live on the way to work at 5.30 every morning)

I don't wake up till 8:30. So went and had a listen to what was said on Wake up to money on 5live that had originally been broadcast at the unearthly hour of 5:30. The programme's presenters didn't  sound that certain about people being able to claim for any lose of earnings.

Spoken to  people who were due to fly out to the far east. The were told in no uncertain terms by their employers, that they would not be allowed to return to work until completing a quarantine period, which would be unpaid.

Due to fly to Nice in 2 weeks for a conference. 

Not in Zone 1 or 2, all WHO and NHS advice is to carry on as normal but take extra care of hygiene.

Today I've had 4 emails telling me companies are pulling out and our delegation are pushing for postponement.

Just seems a bit of an overreaction at this point?

Archived