Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, Van Gritters said:

I think they have to be careful based upon it is clearly an unknown. All the models they are using suggest a drop in cases but the proof will only be known when the totals come in. 
If they start giving people the idea the worst is over how many do you think will be back out or having their mates round because we’re over the worst?

I think it is peak infections because the deaths follow about 2 - 3 weeks after. 

Surely a drop in cases allied with a supposed increase in testing should be an extremely positive sign?

I know they have to be careful but surely now is the time to start giving individuals and businesses a glimmer of hope?

Just as a complete aside but one of the companies I work with today received there grants from their local council.

Fair play to the Government, they have managed to turn that round in 14 days of the business closing.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

On the verge of losing my job thanks to the virus. The main thing is my family are healthy, money is money. Hopefully something comes up.

Tell us what you do mate. 

Maybe they'll be someone reading who needs those skills?

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2020/04/martin-lewis--working-from-home-due-to-coronavirus--claim-p6-wk-/

Might be helpful for some people.

Potential to claim £6 per week back for working from home.

To be honest though, if you're able to work from home (you could almost say, consider yourself lucky) many workers actual costs will go down if they don't need to commute. Yes, you might use a bit more electricity to power your laptop but this would hardly be measurable and heating and lighting costs shouldn't really be that significant now. 

So, whilst some may genuinely have increased costs I would say to the others, think very carefully if it's morally the right thing to do to claim this sum. 

My son and daughter in law are having to work from home and I would be very disappointed in them if they claimed allowance this given they now don't need to drive to the station and catch the train into Birmingham every day. 

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

To be honest though, if you're able to work from home (you could almost say, consider yourself lucky) many workers actual costs will go down if they don't need to commute. Yes, you might use a bit more electricity to power your laptop but this would hardly be measurable and heating and lighting costs shouldn't really be that significant now. 

So, whilst some may genuinely have increased costs I would say to the others, think very carefully if it's morally the right thing to do to claim this sum. 

My son and daughter in law are having to work from home and I would be very disappointed in them if they claimed allowance this given they now don't need to drive to the station and catch the train into Birmingham every day. 

It's the increase in jammy dodger expenses that the £6 covers. 

3 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

It's the increase in jammy dodger expenses that the £6 covers. 

I'm doing the shopping on my own just now as my wife is on the vulnerable list. Two weeks running now Aldi have not had any chocolate oaties. I can cope/improvise without toilet rolls but not sure how long I can cope without my oaties. 

6 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Suicide will be up. Domestic violence and murder in the family will be up. Death from bad withdrawal from drugs will be up. Death from untreated illness will be up (from lack of GP access and reduced hospital capacity). Injuries and fatal accidents in the home will be up (falling from ladders doing DIY, roof work etc). But vastly outweighed by the reduction in deaths on the road.

I suspect.

Correct.  There have been 2 murders committed here in the last week, which is highly unusual at other times, but zero serious auto accidents.

Of the 28,991 tests taken in Iceland 1.596 samples were positive, with 39 currently hospitalized and of those 13 in intensive care and there have been 6 deaths.

i have been ill for a month now, so i used the opportunity to be tested again but this time from the genetics company Decode, which have a much more thorough testing apparatus.  There is no way that i have been infected in this month from Corona, so if i am found positive this time, it is because i already was before but it did not show up in the test taken by hospital staff.  i don't think i am infected, but i have an aging mother that i tend to and want to be on the safe side.

My 90 year old uncle has the virus, but is doing well, his son and grandson however are very ill.

Meanwhile, i am trying to get a close friend home who is stranded in the Philippines.  It's basically martial law in the area he is at, but there is a plane leaving with Nordics right after Easter and i am trying to assist with getting info to authorities here on what is required for the job.  Just getting to the airport, some 350 km will be a challenge.

i have a situation with our house in Spain, the keys are stuck with friends there who are locked in and they forgot to turn off the electricity and open the fridge and such.  They are attempting to get a permit from the police to get that done.

i only wish i was bored

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

To prove your point, I calculated my expected electricity costs to go up by 30p a day based on my setup (high kWh usage but very low rates). Living 8 miles away it normally costs just under £1.50 a day in fuel to get to and from work. A tidy little £1.20 a day (or £6 a week) better off

3 hours ago, maxjam said:

Laura Kuenssberg is useless as well.  Both engage in 'gotcha' questioning whilst asking the same idiotic questions,  usually starting with assertions they try to pass off as fact. 

I have to say this does irritate me. They don’t ask for data, and clear fact

not “how is the PM doing, is he talking, reading and reasonably able or is he behind a mask and sleeping. ... No, they ask why isn’t someone else doing his job ? Have you got it wrong and should someone be doing his job. ? Like .. go on admit it your about to rooster up. ... I mean seriously do we want a Govt in this sort of crisis that would actually give questions like that credence.

Gotcha questions insult listeners, viewers and readers ... Ask a fair question then let your audience decide the truth from the quality of response. ... there is a line of “news” reporting that isn’t about delivering fact .. it’s about shaping an event artificially to fit an editorial view .. that isn’t news, that’s political comment. Reporters need to distinguish between the two but some fail miserably 

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Come on though, be sensible. You’d expect the prime minister, regardless of which party he/she leads to be treated with a little more of a priority the rest of us mere mortals. 

Sensible? Pfffft. Not saying you aren't right - I do expect that, but it disappoints me. If he's sick enough to warrant being in ICU then he should be in ICU and getting the best care possible. If he's in ICU because he's the PM and anyone else in the same position wouldn't be anywhere near ICU then we suck as a society. Every human life should be valued the same

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I’m saving about £100 a month in diesel.

10 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Sensible? Pfffft. Not saying you aren't right - I do expect that, but it disappoints me. If he's sick enough to warrant being in ICU then he should be in ICU and getting the best care possible. If he's in ICU because he's the PM and anyone else in the same position wouldn't be anywhere near ICU then we suck as a society. Every human life should be valued the same

Some interesting stats here on the PMs chances of survival - assuming what we're being told isn't just a version of the truth;

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-what-do-the-figures-tell-us-about-boris-johnsons-chances-of-a-full-recovery-11970172

The average age of admission to critical care is 60.

There are more men in critical care in their 50s than in their 70s.

That's not to say that the disease is more fatal for people in this age range, as, sadly, many older sufferers may not even make it to the ICU - but it does send a crucial public health message to this group.

Patients who don't go on a ventilator in the first 24 hours in an ICU survive 83% of the time.

Those who are put on a ventilator in that period have a much lower survival rate - just 32%.

Of the 690 patients whose outcome in an ICU is known, almost all received support for their heart, and 143 received what ICNARC calls "advanced cardiovascular support".

Further stats and info in the link, some of it is a bit grim.  My suggestion to everyone is to stay in indoors and stay out of ICU!

54 minutes ago, jono said:

I have to say this does irritate me. They don’t ask for data, and clear fact

not “how is the PM doing, is he talking, reading and reasonably able or is he behind a mask and sleeping. ... No, they ask why isn’t someone else doing his job ? Have you got it wrong and should someone be doing his job. ? Like .. go on admit it your about to rooster up. ... I mean seriously do we want a Govt in this sort of crisis that would actually give questions like that credence.

Gotcha questions insult listeners, viewers and readers ... Ask a fair question then let your audience decide the truth from the quality of response. ... there is a line of “news” reporting that isn’t about delivering fact .. it’s about shaping an event artificially to fit an editorial view .. that isn’t news, that’s political comment. Reporters need to distinguish between the two but some fail miserably 

So you're basically saying Peston and Kuenssberg are a pair of useless, gobshite Bamfords?

Archived