Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Archied said:

Thing is we are talking life and death here though and we are supposedly putting our faith in recording ,following ,predicting a curve/ peak ,,

this info now available that says openly that the way deaths are counted is random coupled with the tiny numbers being tested for the virus surely means it’s almost impossible to have any real idea where we stand now and moving forward , deaths need to be counted against the day they happened to have any clue whether they are rising ,levelling out or falling

We don’t need to deal with absolute numbers - it’s the trend which counts. So if the number of deaths is recorded consistently (such as number of people having the coronavirus before dying in hospital), then it’s clear when the rate is changing. In the case of this coronavirus,  You would expect the same trend to occur for overall deaths as you would hospital deaths. At the end of the day, we’re concerned about the peak impact on our hospitals, so hospital admissions and deaths due to covid 19 is what’s most important when monitoring the situation.

28 minutes ago, Archied said:

With the above post ,if deaths are being counted in this backdated method you also have to wonder then how long has the virus been in the country in 

Many don't realise the amount of trade and travel from Wuhan to he rest of the world. Its a city of 11 million people.

Wuhan is a major manufacturing centre for huge corporations including Apple, Citroen, Renault, and many, many others so the amount of travel between there and the rest of the world is phenomenal. 

Before the area went into lockdown thousands and thousands of trade and business travellers would have been coming and going to every continent of the globe.

Also Wuhan hosted the World Military Games at the end of October, (a sort of Olympics for military service personnel) with 10,000 competitors from 110 countries taking part, plus all the support staff and Military top brass who attend these events.

I only know all this because me son lives in Singapore and his company has offices in Wuhan.

It is possible we have had it before Christmas over here, there is anecdotal evidence of people having debilitating flu like symptoms in December and January

I think you’re all crackers.

we had the disease before it existed?

If the deaths are backdated it will be by days not months

deaths have to be registered with a death certificate. There is an admin process. This is the reason for dips at the weekend. 

of course people had flu like symptoms over the winter. But that’s not lung disease. 
I personally had an almost continuous cold from mid October to mid January. I went to the doctors for the first time in years as I could not understand how a cold could go on so long. I didn’t get any answers but I’m not assuming I had Coronavirus. 

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Many don't realise the amount of trade and travel from Wuhan to he rest of the world. Its a city of 11 million people.

Wuhan is a major manufacturing centre for huge corporations including Apple, Citroen, Renault, and many, many others so the amount of travel between there and the rest of the world is phenomenal. 

Before the area went into lockdown thousands and thousands of trade and business travellers would have been coming and going to every continent of the globe.

Also Wuhan hosted the World Military Games at the end of October, (a sort of Olympics for military service personnel) with 10,000 competitors from 110 countries taking part, plus all the support staff and Military top brass who attend these events.

I only know all this because me son lives in Singapore and his company has offices in Wuhan.

It is possible we have had it before Christmas over here, there is anecdotal evidence of people having debilitating flu like symptoms in December and January

But surely we would have seen the spread and deaths increase at a far faster rate over January and February or have over 50% of us had it?

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

deaths have to be registered with a death certificate. There is an admin process. This is the reason for dips at the weekend. 

of course people had flu like symptoms over the winter. But that’s not lung disease. 
I personally had an almost continuous cold from mid October to mid January. I went to the doctors for the first time in years as I could not understand how a cold could go on so long. I didn’t get any answers but I’m not assuming I had Coronavirus. 

Crackers? It’s being stated from official sources that deaths that are Happening two weeks prior are being recorded then flashed all over the news as the death toll for the day

9 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

This fella is suggesting that cases are being systematically undercounted.

http://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/3240.html?id=5856

Isn’t he just saying what we all know and has been said all along? The official figures only relate to those that have been tested and there are likely to many many more that have had the virus but haven’t been tested.

Correct me if I’m wrong but, feels like a “no poo Sherlock”

Sith Happens
7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I did, but even though I have the flu jab I always seem to get some really bad bug once a year in the winter. Stopped me going out over christmas etc but I would think very unlikely it was Covid-19.  Unless of course the government are aware its been here but aren't talking about it because there will be people saying hey ive had it and assuming immunity. Maybe thats why they are so keen to get hold of the anti body test...

Although I just cant buy that, i think what we all had was just some winter bug that was doing the rounds.

8 hours ago, Archied said:

With the above post ,if deaths are being counted in this backdated method you also have to wonder then how long has the virus been in the country in 

I agree. I don't think we can be sure of this either.

In the school where I work we had Chinese students stay in the second week of January. For two science lessons during the week I had three of them join my class. Great kids, really polite. Around six weeks later I became aware they were from Wuhan!

10 hours ago, Stagtime said:

I get what you are saying but with interest rates at zero and with a huge growth in unemployment after this is done with, it would also make sense to accelerate big civil projects like they did after the Depression.

Depends who gets the jobs. Don't forget the "elite" will need their cut.

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

Thanks for your kind comment!

4 of my staff, my wife and I had what we all put down to flu in January.  Key issues were a fever and shortness of breath.  Knocked us all out for 48 hours.  Ordinary flu symptoms at either end.  We all had flu jabs in November.  No idea as to whether it was a weaker version of cv19 but I have not discounted it.

46 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I did, but even though I have the flu jab I always seem to get some really bad bug once a year in the winter. Stopped me going out over christmas etc but I would think very unlikely it was Covid-19.  Unless of course the government are aware its been here but aren't talking about it because there will be people saying hey ive had it and assuming immunity. Maybe thats why they are so keen to get hold of the anti body test...

Although I just cant buy that, i think what we all had was just some winter bug that was doing the rounds.

I had it too. Although me and the wife were feeling fairly grim, I still went to work. She had to have a couple of days off. I don't think that's the thing that's going round that's killed 6000 people, but I could be wrong.

If it was in the country much earlier than we thought, it must have a longer incubation period than we're officially admitting. Deaths would have started early. I know the counting is being challenged but I don't think the majority of the dates will be out by two weeks. More likely there's a variation between actual death date and statistical reporting date, which the outliers are inaccurate by a couple of weeks.

8 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

All ready said this mate but some people did not believe me.

I think lockdown be ended now

Unfortunately the number of people dying is still climbing. We aren't ending this any time soon - it will be weeks more of lockdown before we can get away from this. You need to start accepting that, or you'll give yourself depression. Sign up for Rams TV, sit back and relax - it could be a lot worse.

Be absolutely staggered to hear anything other than a statement along the lines of.. 'its early days so its hard to be certain but the lockdown appears to be working... we thank the vast majority for their patience and help but this battle can't be taken lightly and we must ask for even more from you...therefore we will keep in place the current restrictions for the moment and hopefully be able to review it within the next 3 weeks and then see if we can begin to start to  relax some restrictions.. '

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

I guess we'll never know, the thing that struck me was the amount of travel to and from Wuhan before any lockdown. I've read that China had cases early to mid November, possibly even October, so the bug would have been all round the world well before Christmas if that is true.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Isn’t he just saying what we all know and has been said all along? The official figures only relate to those that have been tested and there are likely to many many more that have had the virus but haven’t been tested.

Correct me if I’m wrong but, feels like a “no poo Sherlock”

It's a bit like dark matter in the universe: we know it's there but can't see it.

I'm sure many more people must have been infected, but these cases must all be very mild. I find it difficult to understand a virus whose effects range from no symptoms at all through to rapid death.

Archived