Coronavirus

1of4

24 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Why do a lot of the people being interviewed by Skype etc by news channels choose to sit in front of bookshelves ?

There’s a bit of bookshelf competition going on, are you more intellectual if you’ve got more books than somebody else ? ? 

Sometimes what I think as I sit here on random select troubles me. ?

https://mobile.twitter.com/danbarker/status/1111550418545446912

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Paul Merton showed himself to be a real champion of the common man by having an impressive collection of DVDs instead of books ?

paul-merton-have-i-got-news-for-you-2399356.jpg

If it was me, I'd be more than happy to display some of my oil paintings.  Such as this one...

ssa.png

3 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Jet2 holidays have announced that they start flying again on 17th June.

A friend who works for Haven Holidays has been told to report back to work for the half term week at the end of May.

How do these businesses know the lockdown will be lifted by then?

They don’t. It’s more in hope than expectation I would imagine. They have said they plan to rather than they definitely will.

1 hour ago, Pearl Ram said:

Why do a lot of the people being interviewed by Skype etc by news channels choose to sit in front of bookshelves ?

There’s a bit of bookshelf competition going on, are you more intellectual if you’ve got more books than somebody else ? ? 

Sometimes what I think as I sit here on random select troubles me. ?

At least Trump doesn't stand in front of a bunch of dozy-looking toadies any more. I don't think he has ever read a book in his life.

I can't see how the government cannot start to reopen large parts of the economy by the end of May in some shape or form regardless of the impact on health. 

The country's economy will be in ruins after that and there will be a real problem with money and credit available for the government to keep going. 

15 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Just had an email from employer. We closed on 24th March, on furlough until 14th April.

That's now been extended to 27th April.

The first three weeks we are on 100% wages , subject to the limit.

After the 14th, that will drop to 80%. ?

Well I got told may by mine should be able extend after that.

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

The same question was asked on HIGNFY (without the live audience it sounds awful - I'd even consider putting fake laughter in the show as it just feels flat without any reaction) - Paul Merton asked Ian if he'd finished colouring them all in.

Promise I didn’t see HIGNFY, stopped watching that years ago, it just struck me this morning as I was watching the umpteenth person being interviewed in front of one, I was beginning to think it was the law.

1 hour ago, alexxxxx said:

I can't see how the government cannot start to reopen large parts of the economy by the end of May in some shape or form regardless of the impact on health. 

The country's economy will be in ruins after that and there will be a real problem with money and credit available for the government to keep going. 

I almost feel the same but I'm sure (relatively) that the Treasury has done it's sums and the size of the National debt will be eye watering. It's certain to take a long time for the economy to recover. Well before my time but I guess it did after the two world wars.

2 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

Your money or your life. Which is more important?

1 hour ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Your money or your life. Which is more important?

But if the choice was: a 50% chance you lose your job and have to sell your house OR a 1 in 10, 000 chance you die from the disease. 

Not saying those are the odds, just that every decision is based on probability. I drive in my car.. and I also speed, I eat junk food and processed meat, I sit in the sunshine too long, I smoke, I drink too much, I cut corners at work, I am less than honest filling in my tax returns, I cycle without a helmet, I miss health check ups, ...whatever. Everyone makes calculated decisions. 

There will come a time when the scales tip the other way and the potential risks are outweighed by the need to avoid other issues. 

Archived