Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

So from ONS figures, deaths for the first 13 weeks of the year are 3000 down on the 5 year average.

The week ended 27/03/2020 did show an increase of circa 1,000 or 10% increase on the 5 year average.

Interesting to see corresponding figures next week when they are released, given that we are now hearing of 500 or so deaths per day relating to Covid 19.

‘Only’ c700 had died in the UK as at 27/03 from a condition with COVID19 linkage.  Still far too early to be drawing any conclusions from such data that is available.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

But I think people are getting better than they are dieing but I do still think goverment over reacted.

I don’t think anyone has ever disputed or tried to hide the fact that far more people will recover than will die but, whilst so many people are losing their lives either directly due to the virus or because the virus is causing serious complications to existing medical conditions then harsh measures need to be taken. 

I know it’s tough buddy but, I’m also sure you want your loved ones to be protected as much as the rest of us.

24 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I imagine that some usual causes of deaths would be less than the norm: car accidents, exercise related (heart attacks) etc.

This wouldn't be a huge number I expect, but still must be lower than normal.

Yeah good point.

Probably a grim thing to say but I wonder how the current situation will affect suicide rates?

15 year old lad, that is a friend of a friend, apparently hung himself die to anxiety over current situation.

18 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah good point.

Probably a grim thing to say but I wonder how the current situation will affect suicide rates?

15 year old lad, that is a friend of a friend, apparently hung himself die to anxiety over current situation.

should that be due not die,it reads better

58 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah good point.

Suicide will be up. Domestic violence and murder in the family will be up. Death from bad withdrawal from drugs will be up. Death from untreated illness will be up (from lack of GP access and reduced hospital capacity). Injuries and fatal accidents in the home will be up (falling from ladders doing DIY, roof work etc). But vastly outweighed by the reduction in deaths on the road.

I suspect.

18 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Suicide will be up. Domestic violence and murder in the family will be up. Death from bad withdrawal from drugs will be up. Death from untreated illness will be up (from lack of GP access and reduced hospital capacity). Injuries and fatal accidents in the home will be up (falling from ladders doing DIY, roof work etc). But vastly outweighed by the reduction in deaths on the road.

I suspect.

Not sure the 'savings' in road related deaths will make up for losses elsewhere tbh.  

In a typical year the average number of road deaths per year hovers around 1750 whereas its over 5000 for suicides and over 7000 for alcohol related deaths.

Judging by some of the pictures on here, that last number alone is gonna go up the most!

The lockdowns will be drastically reducing flu deaths too I'd have thought. It's not just the transmission of Covid that will be down due to self-isolation measures. Trying to draw conclusions about the virility of Covid from overall death rates right now serves very little purpose, especially given we remain some weeks away from the worst of it, or so we're told.

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If he's showing no symptoms why has he even been tested?

The season is restarting?

In theory the number of deaths should start to reduce by the end of this week. I think yesterdays figure was unnaturally low as it was for Sunday and many of those dies that day only made the official figures today, hence the large number. The next 2-3 days figures are going to be very telling.  

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

He doesn't work for the NHS though does he? I doubt even Boris would have been tested if he didn't have symptoms. 

My niece is a nurse in the Derby Royal. She had been working on the Covid ward for three weeks before being sent home on Thursday with a fever, cough and sore throat. As of yesterday she hadn't been tested, and unless her symptoms worsened wasn't going to be.

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

My niece is a nurse in the Derby Royal. She had been working on the Covid ward for three weeks before being sent home on Thursday with a fever, cough and sore throat. As of yesterday she hadn't been tested, and unless her symptoms worsened wasn't going to be.

Hope she's OK buddy.

According to some accounts, he did the test at home "out of curiosity" . Bet he's bought a dodgy kit on tinternet. 

Archived