Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, TimRam said:

I think that's recorded deaths. I.e. some happened over the last week or so and it's only now they have been collated and added to todays figure. Who know's though what the true figures are around the world.

I think I heard somewhere, probably on the radio, that some weekend deaths take a day or two longer to be registered and this might also account for why Monday figures are lower. But, my memory might be unreliable.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Huh?

More like the deaths from today likely to be those who caught the virus 2+ weeks ago. 

As usual, don’t look at single days in isolation - look at the general trend instead. Most trends indicate the increase in new deaths per day is decreasing. 

Trust me it’s what is being put out there now officially,, people in today’s 8 hundred odd death count can and will have died up to two weeks ago

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I think I heard somewhere, probably on the radio, that some weekend deaths take a day or two longer to be registered and this might also account for why Monday figures are lower. But, my memory might be unreliable.

I heard the same..

5 minutes ago, Archied said:

Trust me it’s what is being put out there now officially,, people in today’s 8 hundred odd death count can and will have died up to two weeks ago

Yes mainly people who died out of hospital that are only now being recorded because it’s a reportable disease.

2 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Yes mainly people who died out of hospital that are only now being recorded because it’s a reportable disease.

Surely it would be much more useful to add numbers of deaths to the total deaths figures but log and count them against the numbers for day of death? At this point they are very much reporting these figures as deaths for the day

Just now, Archied said:

Surely it would be much more useful to add numbers of deaths to the total deaths figures but log and count them against the numbers for day of death?

Yeah it’s only what I’ve heard on TV and where I’ve seen don’t look into the daily totals too much. The best reporting is if you know someone working in a hospital they will give the best indication of how things are going even if not the actual figures.

20 minutes ago, Archied said:

Surely it would be much more useful to add numbers of deaths to the total deaths figures but log and count them against the numbers for day of death? At this point they are very much reporting these figures as deaths for the day

Guessing but as an eg, an elderly person already in poor health in a care home could pass away.. 

How long before it was discovered/agreed they had coronavirus and that contributory cause of death is passed on officially and added to the stats? Wouldn't all happen that day. I don't think it makes sense to go back and say 'that was last Tue, so that day has now gone up by 1' . Its the number of reported deaths with coronavirus as a contributory /possible cause, recorded today. 

1 hour ago, TimRam said:

Cancelling hs2 and foreign "aid" will offset the impact of lockdown. If such a thing occurs.

Hs2 still going ahead at the moment. We received queries yesterday for availability of materials. 

1 hour ago, TimRam said:

Cancelling hs2 and foreign "aid" will offset the impact of lockdown. If such a thing occurs.

I get what you are saying but with interest rates at zero and with a huge growth in unemployment after this is done with, it would also make sense to accelerate big civil projects like they did after the Depression.

Aren't the numbers reported each day by the government those who've died in hospital with the virus?

Then the people who've died in the community are added to the ONS figures, which are a separate thing.

32 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Unemployment figures are published four months in arrears, which is absolutely no use in today's circumstances.

Thing is we are talking life and death here though and we are supposedly putting our faith in recording ,following ,predicting a curve/ peak ,,

this info now available that says openly that the way deaths are counted is random coupled with the tiny numbers being tested for the virus surely means it’s almost impossible to have any real idea where we stand now and moving forward , deaths need to be counted against the day they happened to have any clue whether they are rising ,levelling out or falling

Archived