Radio Derby

Norman Hull

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Agreed.

Personally, think he should have given Ramage a chance to explain his comments first rather than going to social media.

However, his response was dignified and he certainly has no blame in the situation.

Ramage and RD had ample opportunity from Saturday night to Sunday lunch to attempt  to put this right and didn't.

I knew Saturday 10pm what Ramage had said. Think he/they had plenty of time until Max reacted

This is such a serious matter that it’s right & proper for the BBC to have a thorough investigation. It was good to hear some reference to it at the start of last night’s sport scene.

Radio Derby is A, if not The, flagship local radio station of the beeb’s & has won national Sony awards & now the local station & the BBC reputation is tarnished with racism, (let’s be clear - it was racist).

They need to learn lessons & I suspect some management will be under scrutiny for how programmes are ‘quality assured’ (can’t think of a better term) rather than just the bloke who was on air with CR at the time juggling numerous tasks.

I’m for one hoping some good can come out of this in terms of making people question their unconscious bias which many good posts have mentioned.

Yes... Yes... enough of all that.  What I'd like to know is whether Norman got home safe, after using Derby Radio Cars, or whatever cab firm he called?

Also, I can't help wondering if our new friend Norman has "Notifications" clicked on for responses to his thread, and doesn't know how to turn them off! 
I think you lot should all apologise to him, and invite him back!  

2 hours ago, philmycocu said:

Erm, not Chris Coles

I agree but the point is why are you stating "  think it's quite sad that a single paragraph by Max Lowe has seemingly trashed a young sports journalists career" ? That's not putting the blame on Ramage, rather it is diverting it to Max Lowe.

32 minutes ago, DRBee said:

I agree but the point is why are you stating "  think it's quite sad that a single paragraph by Max Lowe has seemingly trashed a young sports journalists career" ? That's not putting the blame on Ramage, rather it is diverting it to Max Lowe.

Yeah, didn't mean to, reading it again Lowe said "broadcaster", wonder if he meant Coles or the BBC actually? Would still be harsh on the boy if he was kicked out though.

10 minutes ago, Squid said:

Ed Dawes and Chris Coles would be a great partnership, Ed will be a lot better with Chris rather than Craig.

I don't actually mind Ed, unless he was with Ramage.  Whenever Steele's been on with him, the 'bantz' is toned right down, and negativity is at a minimum.

6 hours ago, angieram said:

It's half term. Sally Pepper has kids. Sally Pepper and Ed Dawes are a couple. Both are currently off-air. Might they have gone on holiday? 

Regardless of that possibility I think that Ed and Chris shouldn't be on air anyway while the investigation runs its course - it's usual practice.

Anyone who heard Chris trying to calm Ramage down earlier that evening when he was ranting about Max Bird (totally without cause, in my opinion) will hopefully know how difficult that task is live on air and take that into account in the investigation. 

I think he's a promising journalist and I also think Ed Dawes is a better journalist when he isn't having to contend with Ramage live on air. 

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Ramage's RD career has been built upon questionable negativity and hyperbole masquerading as passion, which causes problems in that he often has to go to new levels of hyperbole to stay relevant and seemingly passionate to his listenership.

This was always going to lead to either a mistake, or an insight into his beliefs/attitude slipping out due to him getting close to the edge with the hyperbole......I can't say which it is as I don't know him. The same is true of his "rivalry" with Dawes which I understand could be very terse (I don't listen to RD with way it is) and again given the state of that relationship\banter a mistake was always liable from either Ramage or Dawes. 

I do feel sorry for Coles as it's quite possible that he could be caught up as the innocent party in this having not listened to what Ramage said properly (he could have been looking at notes or his next question for example) and then posting it whilst being under the cosh of a deadline which brings added pressure, it could have been easy to miss! 

The only worry I would have for Coles is that if he was involved in that re-edit!

I have my reservations with how RD reports on games but that is an irrelevance to this.

This issue has almost nothing to do with Chris Coles and even less to do with Ed Dawes who wasn't even there.

And I am not a fan of Dawes' commentary at all. But this is nothing to do with him.

20 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I have my reservations with how RD reports on games but that is an irrelevance to this.

This issue has almost nothing to do with Chris Coles and even less to do with Ed Dawes who wasn't even there.

And I am not a fan of Dawes' commentary at all. But this is nothing to do with him.

As I've said previously, we don't know how things work at RD - but almost certainly, one of Dawes or Coles is responsible for the output on match days. In this case, whoever should have picked up on the remark missed it at the time it was originally broadcast and then compounded the issue by uploading the recording without initially removing the offensive part. That has damaged the BBC's reputation and I'd be very surprised if someone doesn't pay the price alongside Ramage - it's called accountability and in the current climate, whether the penalty for the offence is fair or not doesn't tend to matter......

28 minutes ago, Tombo said:

exactly, I don't think he is any good at all as a commentator (better than I would be I am sure) but to group him in with Ramage and Coles would very hard on Dawes.

Coles should have said something immediately, I don't buy that he didn't hear him or wasn't paying attention etc etc, it is "his podcast" and ultimately he should be responsible for what goes out on it.

I may well be adding 2+2 together and getting 5 but there’s a producer/podcaster who I follow on Twitter that works for Radio Derby and he deactivated his Twitter account pretty much straight after news broke about Ramage’s comments. Could he be the one who edited it and allowed it to go out?

Again, it’s just an assumption and there could be nothing in it but seems a little odd he deactivated his account.

2 hours ago, Rambalin said:

Tomorrow night's commentary team....is  Chris Coles,Ed Dawes and Eric Steele...just been on six o clock sport.

That's the end of that little distraction then. Upwards and onwards toward the next DCFC off the field calamity.....

Archived